Pages

Thursday 18 January 2018

English Muffins with Vodka, Beer, Takeaways and Chocolate

I admit that I have been turning a blind eye to the accumulation, perhaps hoping that it would all just melt away, or that the  Good Fairy would come along and sort everything out.    By yesterday it was still there and I could ignore it no longer. 



Time to gather up a couple of sacks, my 'grabber' and some stout gloves and get to work.    The lane which runs along the side of our property and down to the railway bridge was in need of a good litter-picking session.

I probably cut a comic figure as I drag my sacks along behind me, filling them up with the detritus that others just cannot be bothered to take home with them but, well, someone has to do it, the council won't and it probably irritates me more than most people because I walk that lane every day.

Sweetie wrappers, chocolate wrappers, several takeaway containers and plastic food wrappers, several vodka bottles (and it is almost always vodka bottles rather than other spirits)  countless beer and fizzy drinks cans, rubber gloves, the odd dog poop bag.    By the end I had gathered up the best part of one and a half sacks of rubbish and recycling.

This is one tiny lane in a quiet part of the countryside, scary to think how much rubbish is abandoned with such thoughtlessness every day.     I once came across a whole wodge of lottery tickets - very exciting - of course I had to check them out, but no winners among them, darn it!

Feeling a bit under the weather today, aching bones, streaming eyes, hacking cough.   


Which makes it a good day to sit by the fireside and indulge in some homemade English Muffins.
I know they are inexpensive to buy, but homemade ones are so much nicer
and very easy to make.

I'll put the recipe up another day.

7 comments:

  1. Well done on your clean up. It is amazing at the amount of rubbish left in a quiet lane. You deserve your sit by the fire with the muffins. I look forward to your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean. It was still looking pretty good this afternoon, though tomorrow could be a different story. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Your lane is no different to many other small country lanes that are used by local people but its amazing how much rubbish seems to apear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill, You are right, of course. I see it everywhere I travel, we are a messy lot.

      Delete
  3. I imagine when you are walking that lane and a car passes they don't toss stuff out the window. I will admit to tossing apple cores and gum out the window but not paper or glass or plastic. It can wait until I get to a trash can or recycle bin. Why are others in such a hurry to get rid of stuff from the car window?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marcia, I guess I should be happy that at least we haven't had a problem with fly tipping, which has become a big problem in some areas. I don't mind apple cores at all.

      Delete
  4. I too am amazed at how much rubbish you get in your lane. If you walk there regularly , and live nearby, it must be extreme;y irritating. Good for you for doing something about it.
    Those muffins look like a suitable reward! I t will be interesting to see the recipe. I know what muffins and scones are but not sure about english muffins

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.