Pages

Friday 16 February 2018

Chinese New Year in Lincolnshire

Today we celebrated Chinese New Year with our Chinese daughter-in-law and the rest of our family.


Chinese hot pot! 

A delicious way to enjoy a long and leisurely meal. 

Select what you want, put it into the pot of boiling and spicy stock, then chat while you wait for it to cook.




The round brown things are not potatoes, they are gluten balls, doughy puff balls of delight.




Loads of vegetables, salmon, prawns, non-meat meatballs, thinly sliced beef, greens, beans and mushrooms.     Lots of crunchy salad to nibble while you wait.




It is difficult to keep track of just how much you eat. 

Conversation and laughter flows as chopstick skills are put to the test when some bits sink without trace and have to be fished out.       Luckily we had a few wire net scoops on hand, just in case.





Much, much later  we cleared the table and put out fruit and sweet treats, trying to stick to auspicious red, gold and round shapes as much as possible.




Somehow we all managed to squeeze in an extra treat or two. 

I made sure that everyone took home all the tempting goodies, so that the only round thing left in this house is some fruit, and me.   

Double exercise for me tomorrow.

Happy Chinese New Year!


10 comments:

  1. Well you are one up on us all with Chinese cooking but I can honestly say I tried a similar thing in Japan and it was great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much of this is my DiL's handwork, she is a fabulous cook, makes her food look beautiful as well as tasting delicious. As you know, it is a very sociable way to eat. Practical as ever, I was happy not to be left with a mountain of roasting pans, etc! Washing up was easy. Happiness all round.

      Delete
  2. That meal looked lovely and delicious. We experienced hot pot with our daughter when she lived in Harbin, China. It was delicious and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just been reading about Harbin, what an interesting history it has. I imagine you filled quite a few memory cards on that visit, Marcia!

      Delete
  3. Oops I hit something and lost my comment...in case two show up. I was saying, this is interesting, and the foods looks delicious. I would definitely need a wire net scoop. I've never been able to use chop sticks. I would starve to death!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, Henny Penny, with Ming Ming's expert tuition you would quickly master those chopsticks, and if you didn't - knives and forks would be available. We never let our friends go hungry!

      Delete
  4. Oh, Happy Chinese New Year! What a scrumptious feast! I've never mastered the art of chopsticks, I'd have to use a spoon or a knife and fork (or my fingers!)
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good indeed. A short lesson from Ming Ming would soon have you using chopsticks; knives, forks and spoons would also be available. The aim is to have fun, not torment, so don't worry!

      Delete
  5. My first thought... what a beautiful, lovely presentation! Your d-i-law is an artist, as well as a chef.

    Belated Happy Chinese New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She takes great pleasure in presenting food which looks beautiful, as well as tasting delicious. I have learnt so much from watching Ming Ming as she prepares and cooks meals. She knows better than to let me near her very sharp knives though!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.