Pages

Thursday 22 February 2018

Lincolne Shyre and Weather Lore



This is a very early map of Lincolne Shyre/Lincolnshire, dating from around 1600.

The original is beautifully coloured (I have seen a copy) but this image is taken from a black and white photograph in a very old magazine.

Beautiful as it is, I'm glad I don't have to use it to navigate my way around the byways and tracks of Lincolnshire.

For that I print relevant sections of the OS Explorer map,  which is just as well, because sometimes public footpath markers mysteriously disappear. 

Today was was a case in point.    I came over the hills, through fields with spectacular views punctuated by copses of ancient trees.     We were following a plethora of public right of way signs, down a steep hillside and out onto a quiet village lane.  No signs in sight.     Luckily,  I knew I had to turn left, so I did.



I passed a small handful of very quaint cottages with outbuildings, but then the lane disappeared and became a beautifully mowed green swathe bordered by a neatly clipped low privet hedge on one side and a cottage on the other.

I went back along the lane, tried a few other lanes and footpaths, none of them felt right.

Returning to the original grassed lane I decided that it had to be the correct one -  took a deep breath,  then ventured into what is really the cottage garden.   I fully expected an irate cottager to tell me that I was trespassing!

Thirty yards further on, round a bend, there was a public footpath marker.  I had followed the correct path.   Phew!


This photograph was taken when I was even further along the footpath, if you look to the right, middle height, you can see the neatly clipped privet hedge and the green sward of the garden.  The land beyond the hedge is also their garden, they have a public right of way and bridle path running right through it.

This village was listed in the Domesday Book as having 21 households, it has a few more these days,  but not too many.   

The original village church was yet another one which was destroyed by Henry Vane, back in 1658.   He also had the church dismantled in the village I live in, he used the stone to build the manor house. 

The path led through a glacial overflow valley and a site of special scientific interest, because of the soils, habitats and flora.    All I know was that it was muddy after all the recent rain.   There was a chalk stream running through the bottom of the valley, lovely old trees, and shelter from the worst of the cold breeze.

Once through the valley we skirted some more old trees, then found ourselves back out on a lane, a lane which would lead us to Henry Vane's old estate.  Just a few fields more then home.

We had walked about 6 miles.


There is a countryman's saying, found in another old magazine(!), 

"If cold sets in on February 22nd, it will last for fourteen days."

Today is the day.   The garden is heavily frosted and the weather men are burbling on about some cold weather settling in for the next ten days or so.    

These old countrymen knew a thing or two!

6 comments:

  1. I've come across a few paths that go through peoples gardens, one I know was the old tow path from the Wilts & Berks canal. The path is still there and you are with in your rights to walk through the bottom op a row of house gardens. The footpath sign points that way. Some land owners will get the path diverted like which happened to a path not far from where I live quite a few years ago now. Here is a link to a useful on line mapping site.
    https://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link, I'll explore it later, could be very useful! Now that Toby has finally understood that long walks are good fun I am doing about 6 miles most days, which means we are doing a lot of exploration work and those yellow arrows are helpful.

      Delete
  2. 'Tis cold here today, also! After being very warm, yesterday. Mother Nature is certainly confused, these days. ,-)

    Wonderful walk/adventure you took us on today. Love that the public footpaths, have continued to this day. A tangible reminder of long, long ago.

    The signs disappear... Vandalism? Owners of such lands, not wanting to continue the plan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine that some landowners would be very happy if all signage disappeared and people could no longer walk their land. I certainly know of some farmers who do not mark out pathways through their fields, despite a requirement for them to do so. I know all the very local paths, so I cut through anyway. I love thinking about all the feet which have passed along the routes, I often think about my high-tech footwear and how I struggle through the mud and wonder how they coped.

      Delete
  3. Lovely walk. I was reminded of our walking tour in the Cotswolds, following ancient foot paths. We got lost the first day three times! After that we were well seasoned to use 4 sources: compass, map, written directions and the path signage/symbols. The only other time we were lost after that was when the path led through a mown hayfield but there was no signage or symbol at the point where we thought the path exited. A tour of the perimeter of the field revealed it had to be where we thought it was and sure enough it was. Some times the path went diagonally through a field and the farmer kept it clear. One of those was a field of Brussels sprouts. It was obvious at time that the path took us onto properties - we walk right across in front of a manor house, passed barns, through sheep and cow and bull pastures! It was quite an experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are well versed in footpath walking, Marcia! There is something wonderful about following them, isn't there? You definitely had plenty of fun during your walks and encountered plenty of 'hazards'. Those diagonal pathways are great, when properly marked - although they are tricky when the field is left roughly ploughed for the winter months - we have several like that around here. Walking in the Cotswolds must have filled your memory banks with some beautiful images.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.