Pages

Thursday 26 September 2024

How I Spent the Summer Holidays (!)

Hello Everyone,

Where have I been?  

Nowhere.  

I just stepped away from blogging and social media for a while because I couldn't quite trust myself to be sufficiently restrained in my comments about our glorious leader and his fabulous front benchers.    (Don't want to get myself arrested for hate thoughts or speech, could lead to me serving more time in prison than if I committed a real crime.)   

I have spent most of my time with young pup Winston.  His tummy troubles were persistent and reached a point where the vets wanted to do x-rays and various tests.  I decided to try and fix the problem without frightening him with all those procedures.  He wasn't in pain or losing weight, so I tackled it with common sense and a really restricted diet, plenty of water, etc.  I also continued with the probiotic pastes (several tubes were used) slippery elm bark and German peat mixed in with his food.  Many thanks to the people who suggested them, they really helped.

Once I got him stabilised I gradually stopped the bark, peat and probiotics, one at a time, so I could see if there was a relapse.  

I am glad to say that he has been off all 'medications' and problem-free for the last two or three weeks.  Success, and much relief.  

The main problem I am left with is that he is still on a mission to eat anything he comes across.  Just this last week I have had to wrangle a flattened squirrel corpse out of his mouth, a squashed frog, conkers, acorns and assorted types of poop - cat, hedgehog, goose - he doesn't mind, they all taste wonderful, apparently.

Then we have the greenery - and here in the countryside we are surrounded by tempting greens, even at this time of year.  

I love him to bits but I do wish he didn't have such a strong death wish.  I have to take him into the garden on his lead every time he needs to pay a visit because he is a demon for finding potential trouble.  He has an enormous mouth with elastic cheek pouches, very handy for tucking away his contraband until he thinks he can munch in peace.  Fortunately he is an amiable chap and takes it in good spirit.

He will be six months old at the end of the week and is now capable of doing some slightly more adventurous walks although it will be a while before it would be sensible to let him do my favourite three mile walk.  He is getting there.




I wouldn't swap him for the world but it has taken a huge amount of time and energy to keep him safe and well!

Meanwhile:

Apples have been picked and stored, where appropriate.  The quince trees are laden and the fruit is ripe and ready to go.  So far I have been adding them to apple pies and cakes, but I must get some bottles of quince vinegar brewed and perhaps a batch or two of membrillo.  The rest can go out on the lane, so that people can help themselves.  Much better that, than having them go to waste or composting them.

Elderberries were picked and turned into elderberry rob, ready for using through the winter to ward off sore throats and colds.  Blackcurrants and plums were picked and are in the freezer ready for some winter puddings.

Pretty much everything in the vegetable garden was a disappointment, not that I would have had time to process any glut of vegetables anyway.

I have attended a couple of coffee mornings and read a lot of library books, as well as some I selected from the shelves in the village hall.

Nothing thrilling or exciting, just normal life.  The perfect antidote to all the trouble and chaos, the corruption and deceit in the world.

The bread oven is almost complete and will soon be put into action.  Watch this space.  No doubt there will be some spectacular failures, but I will enjoy the challenge.

I hope you have all found yourselves enjoying life in your own way.


7 comments:

  1. I wrote a post about 'them' and their hatred of pensioners with savings, but decided against posting it!

    I'm glad you are getting the pup sorted, must be difficult with so many possible un-edibles waiting to be eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Young Winston is quite a handful. He's very lucky to have found such a loving home.
    I'm amazed you had time for anything else, including reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buttoning my lip about "Them" too . . . oh I could be quite wicked with the words I have stored up . . .

    Sorry that Winston has had persistent tummy troubles, but it sounds like he isn't helping himself with all the "goodies" he is eating. Glad to hear that the recommended extras have worked and hope his gut is now back to normal.

    Glad you have some fruit picked and stored in various forms for the winter. No Elderberries locally I could find to pick - well, put it this way, the paltry amount wouldn't make ANYTHING to cover more than a tablespoon! Pontack Sauce definitely on hold till 2025.

    I thought of you today as I came across an old WW1 era hand-written recipe book I'd forgotten having and which didn't go to the recent Fairs. It fell down the back of some books when we moved in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor dog, such a gourmand. Is there a soft muzzle he could wear when you are busy in the garden, so that he can enjoy the smells safely?
    Our little dog adored rolling in fox poo in the park, she is not so quick now. Fortunately she is just small enough to be bathed on the drive with a couple of plastic trugs, Vosene, and lots of buckets of warn water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winston is so adorable! Wish I could just pick him up from that chair and hug him. He will certainly be worth every bit of the trouble you have been through. Our big Ellie eats everything too. She snatches it up and swallows before I can say NO! Occasionally, our cat leaves mouse parts in the front yard...what a struggle that can be. Know what you mean about restraining your comments. It just blows my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Winston is growing up and will eventually be a more circumspect consumer. Well done for conquering his tummy troubles.
    I thought a change of government would be, if not good, at least preferable. No. The new government is proving to be short-sighted and cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems most of us are in agreement about the new government - frustrating and worrying isn't it?
    Our Jas is a doggy dustbin too, in the end I started to give her filled Kongs, or safe (ish) raw bones, and coffee wood chews to help distract her from eating things she shouldn't. But when you are dealing with a pup with gut sensitivity it's even more difficult. I was interested in the slippery elm ( which I have heard of ) and the German Peat ( which I haven't heard of!)
    Nice that you are back blogging, you've been very busy by the sound of it.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.