Pages

Wednesday 14 August 2024

The Blue and the Dim and the Dark

Winston's tummy problems have meant that during the dark hours I prowl around the gardens with him and the cats in tow.  We often hear assorted owls calling and the barking of a muntjac deer but it is the night skies which have enthralled me.

From deep within the memory banks I found myself remembering a poem by W Yeats.

Heavens' embroidered cloths
Enwrought with golden and silver light
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half light

Some nights have been deepest indigo, others much lighter.  Walking in the dark, with only the animals for company, has been a marvellous way to put the madness of this world into perspective.   

Last night I stumbled out of bed to check up on Winston.  He was quite contentedly sleeping in his crate, but on hearing me he lifted his head and didn't bother to get to his feet to be let out.  I could almost hear him say 'go back to bed, mum.'  

So I did.   I must admit that I felt a slight twinge of regret at not viewing the night sky but I rejoiced in the thought of my bed and some more sleep.

He is such a sane and sensible young pup, given to a little silliness, but generally a Mr Sobersides and very affectionate.



Here he is this morning, I notice he has snaffled a pair of my socks.  He has form for this, he doesn't chew them but he does like to hold them in his mouth. 





11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hello Mary, he had been having a high old time of it with lots of fun in the garden followed by breakfast and a nap in preparation for the next lot of entertainment. A great life!

      Delete
  2. Puppies always seem to like footwear of one sort or another. Winston's a good boy not to eat your socks - they can cause problems (though usually pass straight through!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello jabblog, he is a real gatherer. Our outdoor boots and shoes are kept in the porch, they have been known to go missing only to turn up in an untidy heap next to Winston - again, not chewing, just gathering. He has just trotted through with one of my walking boots and plonked it down with his toys, the start of another pile, no doubt.

      Delete
  3. I think young Winston is an all together, much more sensible pup than my Jas ever was. Even now at not too far off her 4th birthday she's as mad as a box of frogs! The photo of him is great by the way.
    Lovely poem too.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alison, He has his madcap moments! That is when I lower the energy, keep everything low key and calm, it works for him and he soon calms down and has a nap. I tend to treat him like an overexcited toddler and it works (for now). Jas sounds fun, I bet she keeps you on your toes. There are more lines to the poem, trouble is they elude me at the moment. I must look it up.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hello gz, Yes, flat out and recharging his batteries for the next round!

      Delete
  5. Winston is just adorable. I don't like your new blog name and would suggest "An English Lady and Her Dog". I don't think of you as old and it throws me each time I come across it on my blog list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan, Just for you, I have removed the word 'old'. Now that Winston's tummy (crossed fingers) is so much better, I am getting more sleep and feel almost back to normal. I was simply exhausted when I changed the title. Day shifts and night shifts are all down to me as Winston is my dog and my husband is four years older than me. My batteries were well and truly drained for a while. I hope that little tweak helps!

      Delete
  6. Glad Winston is better!
    The poem you remembered is very beautiful.
    It really is fantastic to walk at night with your dog!
    I hope he gives you your sock back!!
    Have a beautiful September Elaine!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.