Pages

Thursday 8 August 2024

As Fussy as a Dog with Two Tails + Bread Oven Progress

 I have had to write this post so many times, I keep drifting off into commentary on my views about the dangerous direction this country is being 'steired' in.  No use airing my thoughts here, so I shall redirect my thoughts to life with Winston.

I hardly dare say that last night was a good night.  Good in the sense that although I got up twice in the night to check to give him the opportunity to go outside, his bedding was clean for the first time in several nights.  The signs are good...

He had an excellent day yesterday, and was beside himself with delight when Tina, our friend and neighbour, the woman who bred him, called in for a visit.  As soon as she parked up and opened her car door to call out a greeting, he was up at the gate with his tail wagging madly as he stood on tip toes prancing along to get a better view.

He was, as my father would have said, "... as fussy as a dog with two tails."  I had forgotten about that expression but it was certainly apt for Winston's delight.  Tina was delighted to see him and was especially pleased that he hadn't forgotten her.


She took this photograph of Winston (me in the background, trying to keep out of camera shot!) so that she could post in to show the owners of the other eight puppies from the litter (Tina kept the tenth puppy for herself).   It shows just how much he has grown despite his tummy troubles.

The cushion he is lying on is actually his old bed.  It is far too small for him now but he still tries to cram himself in there and ignores his larger bed.  One day I will make it disappear but for now we pretend it is just a big cushion.  

At the moment he is taking a special paste, twice a day, and I am feeding him on half his normal food, mixed with some special gastrointestinal puppy food.  So far, so good.

This morning he was obviously feeling great so I walked him down to the railway bridge and then took him into the barley field and down as far as the second field.  He loved it, so did I.  It took me right back to the two decades I have spent doing just that walk with my other dogs - Pip, Toby, Ned, and Toby Too.  It felt right and we both enjoyed it.

We got back home just before 6am and the lane was very quiet, so quiet that I saw something I have never seen before, a live badger.  This one just popped out of the field and crossed into the woodland over the road.  Not sure who was the most surprised, Winston, or me.

I was hoping to take him out for another little session in the field but the weather has turned rather wet, it is teeming with rain, so that won't be happening for a while.


The bread oven is coming together, great progress has been made but there is still a way to go.


Winston is set for a whole other adventure this weekend as my three grandsons who live in London are coming up to see us.  They have a red Labrador of their own, along with a grey French Bulldog...only the boys and their parents are visiting though.  Phew!  Thank goodness for that.


12 comments:

  1. Dogs do not forget their first people, ever..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the puppies are a little older Tina will be hosting a puppy reunion, that should be an interesting event. Just as well she has several paddocks given the size of the litter!

      Delete
  2. It’s great to hear that Winston had a good night and was so excited to see Tina. It sounds like he’s in high spirits, which is wonderful. I’m sure Tina appreciated the warm welcome and seeing him so happy.

    I just posted a new blog post http://www.melodyjacob.com, I invite you to read and let me know what you think about it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Melody, Thanks for visiting the blog. I am unable to do much blog reading right now but rest assured I will pop over when time permits. Good to hear from you.

      Delete
  3. I so agree with Jabblog above about dogs not forgetting their first people. My neighbour who has been in our golden lab girls life since the beginning, can't come through our gate without being mobbed by Jas who forgets any manners I've tried to teach her.......behaves like a bouncy toddler crossed with a giddy teenager 😅
    Your Winston is very handsome, glad he's on the mend.
    Ps reference the chocolate scones - TQ for the reply , yes, although they sound appealing I'm thinking they would be rather strange slathered in butter......mind you, clotted cream might be nice 😉😀
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alison, I expect Tina will be totally mobbed if all ten puppies get back together some time! She has done it with a smaller litter but ten Labradors... It was nice to see that although he still remembers her and loves her, it was me he chose to cuddle up next to when he was tired. Phew!
      Still travelling the road to recovery with Winston, no messy crate accidents last night but only because I got up twice in the night. He is otherwise happy enough, plenty of energy, etc.
      Confession: I would rather have a very naughty spoonful of clotted cream than a scone. Naughty, but oh, so nice!

      Delete
  4. I hope that Winston's tummy is mended long-term now and it was just "something he ate" which, knowing puppies, could have been anything noxious!

    WELL DONE with all your wins at the Village Show. This has not been a good summer for growing anything much edible but perhaps next year . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello BB, You are right, he is a little tyke for quickly snaffling a mouthful of anything green as we walk, so it could well have been one of the many noxious things which grow in the woodland. I am still bemused by the wins, totally unexpected but very nice. ooops! There goes the oven beeper, I must dash.

      Delete
  5. It's just come to me, the saying I know about dogs with two tails is "as pleased/happy as a dog with two tails." I guess that's just Hampshire-Speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father used the word 'fussy' to describe happiness - his early years were spent in Gorleston-on-Sea, perhaps it comes from there. Regional differences. I'm glad to say that the chocolate cake I was baking earlier is now iced and sitting ready in the pantry for tomorrow, when three little boys will quickly demolish it.

      Delete
  6. What a big adorable puppy! Winston is so pretty. Hope his tummy troubles are over. Oh, your first paragraph sure hit home. Isn't it hard not to not say all that you would like to?? Enjoyed your post very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Henny Penny, I am working under a self-imposed gagging order! One of Winston's worst problems is that he eats anything and everything, a quick snatch and it has been gobbled down. We have had two good days but last night was another slightly disturbed one. Don't worry, he is fine in himself. x

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.