Pages

Thursday 17 October 2019

A Morning with Miss Read

My intention was to begin a new blog, something entirely different from Tales from Parsonage Cottage.   I haven't so much failed, as simply not found enough time or energy to do the deed. 

I am back again, for a while.

This morning's dog walk was wonderful, despite the squelchy, sodden ground.  The air was cold, the sky a brilliant blue, the sun shone.     Hedgerows glowed with brilliant red rosehips and hawthorn berries.   

I had arranged to visit Miss Read, so I dropped Toby back home, then walked back through the village.   Normally I can walk through the village without seeing a soul, today was completly different; friends I hadn't seen for ages appeared around every corner - each one requiring a conversation and a catch-up.    It took half an hour to walk the usual five minute route to Miss Read's home.

'Miss Read' is almost 90 years old, a retired school mistress,  village stalwart and fount of local knowledge.

She was a little tired today, her emotions were not far from the surface.   I hope my visit, and the long chat we had over a pot of tea, helped to cheer her up. 

I came away with a bundle of papers, she has been writing some more of her memoirs, more fascinating tales which I am going to type up for her.

She had also written a story, a kind of quiz, ready for our next village hall meeting for anyone over the age of 55 years.    Yes, our monthly meetings are still taking place, we limp along from month to month.   September's meeting was brilliant, we had a retired archaeologist in to talk about the history of the villages around and about.   Fascinating stuff.




24 comments:

  1. So pleased you are back. Your blog is so great to read. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always good to see a post from you and I like your blog just how it is!
    (I tried changing too but it didn't work because I'm just me and couldn't be different)
    'Miss Read's' memoirs must be so interesting to read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! I must content myself with simply having changed the appearance of this one, that will do for now.

      Delete
  3. Oh do tell us about the archaeology please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to have you back, Elaine. Looking forward to hearing Miss Read's life stories. I used to visit a 90 year old lady in Welshpool until she died a few years ago. She was an absolutely amazing lady and was in the ATS during the war. I loved hearing her tales. One of the most poignant was when she was posted in Belgium. She was serving tea to the troops when her beloved brother (who had also enlisted)- but she had no idea where/how he was or where he was posted, walked in as large as life - what a moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Molly. I hope your move is going/has gone well. Reading the story of the Welshpool lady has given me goosebumps - so important that we winkle out these tales before they are lost for all time. That was quite something.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back! What a nice surprise to look at my blog list after being away in Barcelona for two weeks and see yours listed there. Your visits to Miss Read are a boon to her health and well being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a wonderful time, you little globe-trotter!

      Delete
  6. I am reading Mrs. Tim of the regiment, about half through. I thought it would be donated when through, if I got through, and then I was hooked. It would be a bit past Miss Read's time, but only a few years. Lovely little book, and of a series of several.
    I'm so glad you're back, and don't consider yourself just tottering on. You make a great many days better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne. I have a couple of the Mrs Tim books in my bookcase, I must get them out and start reading!

      Delete
  7. Glad to see you back. I had just discovered your wonderful blog when you announced that you were stopping! Imagine my surprise when you popped up on Sue's sidebar (Suffolk). Hope to see more from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble is that blogging becomes a habit. I didn't miss it when I was away, but suddenly I felt the need to write a post. Thanks, Sheri.

      Delete
  8. A lovely read, thank you. Hope to see more of your blog rather than less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I suddenly felt I had to write, so I did! It was like an itch I had to scratch - quick, where's the antihistamine...

      Delete
  9. I am delighted that you are back. Your speaking of your Miss Read brought back such wonderful memories of books beloved by the late author, Miss Read. I am enjoying a gentle Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello readlisten - and thank you. Lovely, gentle books. Our local 'Miss Read' is so named because she reminds me of the books. I hope your week is as gentle as your Sunday.

      Delete
  10. Well better the devil you know so they say, you could start a second blog and mess about with it with out publishing till your happy with it. Nice to see your still blogging

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you are back here, Elaine.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.