Pages

Monday 19 November 2018

Mid November in a Small English Village

Walks, crafting, foraging, chatting and the many small things which make up much of my life.



I have spent most of this week making, and attaching, angel wings for the pipe cleaner angels, fairies and pixies, as well as those for the everyday angels made from wooden clothes pins, with the occasional zip around a few blogs, reading more than commenting.   Then, after five minutes off for good behaviour, my inner taskmaster had me back to work with needles and thread, glue, wire, crowns and embellishments.





These three dolls are what I will be using as a separate fundraiser at the bazaar - a simple game, like choosing a name from a list, £1 a go to win all three fairies.      So if you have any suggestions suitable names (or a better game) which I can use for my pick list they will be gratefully received. 

I have brain freeze on pretty names and games  at the moment.   It has to be something simple and fun to winkle a few extra pounds out of those pockets - all for the good causes, not for putting into my pocket!!


 
I still get out and about with Toby, of course.   He's not into fairies or pixies, so our usual quota of fresh air and exercise has been maintained.   Most of our walks are along farm tracks and the old railway line.


Sometimes we cut through the village on our way home. 

The autumnal display is almost over and it is so windy today that I think most of the remaining leaves will be leaving the trees before long.   There have been cold dank days, but there have also been some gloriously perfect autumnal days with early frost, blue skies and lots of wonderful sunshine.



Nature has been at work.    I had stopped to take the photograph when I was suddenly anointed, bird poo, splat on my head! 

I decided not to take the route back through the village, we stuck to fields and tracks.   I had a large reddish brown patch of 'luck' sitting on the front of my white hair.  Guess what the first thing I did when I got home was - a clue, it wasn't 'buy a lottery ticket'!

I attended the monthly meeting in the little village hall - just six of us this month.   We made final arrangements for the bazaar, viewed and chatted about some wonderful old snippets and photographs of local history which a friend had brought along,  nibbled cake and drank tea.   The final half an hour was spent in a sing-song.  Oh joy!

Where could I  hide?   The cups and plates had already been washed and dried.   I had to join in.   We all joined in and made a terrible noise... only one person could hold a tune and it wasn't me.

However, we actually enjoyed ourselves.   We let loose on the old songs and had fun.   Unfortunately that means more punishment next month - Christmas Carols.   I wonder whether I dare secretly record a snippet or two...


More beautiful walks, this is the very edge of the ancient woodland.   It was also library van week and I came away with a dozen books, my arms were much longer by the time I had carted them all home.


I squeezed in a bit of crafting with the grandchildren, here we are making some special firelighters, I really dislike the smell of commercial ones.   I saw this idea in a magazine.      I have no idea whether they work, but I thought we would give it a go because they are simple to make and visually pleasing.



Last year I did some candle-making with the grandchildren, so I had the wax and wicks, but you could use melted tealights, stub ends of candles, etc.     I gathered some small pine cones from a local woodland, a few hawthorn berries and rosehips, a few sprigs of Christmas tree trimmings (a lucky find on one of my walks - a farmer had felled a few Christmas trees and there were some sprigs left behind) some cinnamon and cloves plus paper cases.

The spices went into the bottom of the case, then the wick to the side, followed by the wax chips, we worked as a team, one spooned cinnamon, the other counted cloves, and I placed the wick.    We put them into a fairly low oven, keeping a careful eye on them until the wax had melted, then the real fun began. 

Pine cones, berries and snippets of green pine.   The children loved it.   So did I.  They cooled very quickly and look fabulous.

Needless to say, the housework is suffering, there are simply not enough hours in the day, and my day begins very early, 5am.    It has to, otherwise I can't fit in a peaceful hour before getting breakfast organised for the grandchildren who come over for an hour before school.     We have them for two hours after school.    By 9pm I am struggling to stay awake, so that has become bedtime, although these darker evenings make me think of sleep by 6pm!

My own cocoon from the world, maybe.  Just because I like cosy and homely, won't talk politics on my blog, or your blog, does not mean that I am blinkered. 

Blogs only reflect those bits we are willing to share.   😐

ps Please don't forget those suggestions for fairy names, or very simple games for the bazaar.x




40 comments:

  1. You are very creative and busy!Fairy names?You could start with the names of my three granddaughters.Ella,Emily and Ruby!As I walk down to town I will think of some more.Back at lunchtime.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello busybusybeejay. It has been a busy time but the finish line is in sight. Three lovely names which could certainly go in the mix, my granddaughter has already added her name, plus her two best friends. Grandson has suggested the names of his two favourite guinea pigs! I hope you have had a successful morning.

      Delete
  2. I'm getting better at ignoring the housework, surely its better to be making things. I like the idea of homemade firelighters, never heard of this before and your fairies are magical.
    Lovely post, thankyou
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Briony! Those firelighters look quite spectacular - red, white and green. I don't know who was more excited, me or the grandchildren. I got them started on knitting a pot holder each, that project is ongoing, but the next one on the list is orange pomanders, as my granddaughter keeps reminding me. I must fit the housework in somewhere but there is always more fun to be had in crafting, especially at this time of year.

      Delete
  3. Isn't there a spell that starts "Bibbity, Bobbity, Boo"? Maybe that can be their names?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sound fun, Marcia. Wasn't it in a Disney film or something?

      Delete
    2. I think it was from Bedknobs & Broomsticks.

      Delete
    3. You could well be right, Kim - a great excuse for me to watch Bedknobs and Broomsticks again, I like that old film (not the animation bits).

      Delete
  4. Your fire starters are genius! Knitting mats is fun, too. I don't have grandchildren that age, any more. I would look on the internet for a list of current baby names. Many are just ingenious. And, I go to bed around 9, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good suggestion, thanks, Joanne. I'm just tagging and pricing everything, then I will tackle that name list.

      Delete
  5. Love the firelighters and your "everyday Angels"! which sound like something everyone needs around the house. You are so busy that I feel really lazy in comparison.
    As for names ........there's probably a website somewhere to suggest suitable names for angels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The everyday angels are my favourites, they don't look at all like angels (or fairies) so they could be anyone you meet. I am looking forward to being able to do a bit more reading, Sue. I haven't bought a book for ages because I am using the library ordering system now, thanks to you! It is brilliant, works surprisingly efficiently.
      How is that kitchen coming along?

      Delete
  6. My wife is the one for fairy names I'm not good at that. Like the firelighters, do they work like the ones you buy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the firelighters yet, Bill, so fingers crossed! According to what I read they burn for anything up to 20 minutes, so plenty of time for the log burner to get going.

      Delete
  7. Oh same here!!!!!! I am perfectly fine, with living in my own world. And sharing it, on my blog.

    By my age, I know perfectly well, that I myself, can not change the world. By one's 80's, one learns these things! ,-) And I refuse to spend my time, moaning and groaning and marching and shouting, over all the things, I'd like to change. :-)

    Thank-you-much, for sharing your delightful pursuits, with us!!!!!!!!! Your blog is a lovely respite, and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nanci! I have really enjoyed all the crafting - unsustainable for too long, of course. Still, it has been fun. The bazaar is scheduled for this weekend and my DiL in London is also due to present us with a grandson any day now - so a trip to London is in the offing. You can imagine how much organisation that is going to require!!

      Delete
  8. I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions, to your questions. But I'm not good at thinking up games.

    Gorgeous village house!

    Oh cheeky bird! To plop you, with his poooohhhhh. Bad bird!!!!!

    You call those delightful things you made, with "Grands," fire starters. Never saw such, but they are perfectly lovely!!!!!!!!!!!! And what fun to make! You are so talented, my Dear!

    Please keep sharing with us, your cozy and homey, cocoon from the world!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cottage is a lovely old farmhouse which has been recently updated by the young couple who farm the property now. I think they have done an excellent job. Those fire lighters really appealed to my Grands, the youngest one loved the fact that she was allowed to use real scissors to snip things like the wicks - which is why some of them are so very long and others are considerably shorter!

      - and thank you.x

      Delete
  9. Busy and artistic. You must need a Nana nap every day and read those library books. I would. I taught one grandaughter to knit at the weekend. I was apprehensive but she picked it up immediately. She probably won't keep it up but she had bought a kit to a cat and now she can finish it with a lot of my help.
    Xmas bazaars, in the foreign community, have started in Athens. I wish I was close enough to attend a couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you know me pretty well! I try to take a nap for half an hour after lunch, not very successfully but I try. Somehow I think you will have plenty to keep you busy during the run up to the festive season! Bazaars are fun though, especially if there is a book stall and a well stocked refreshment table.

      Delete
  10. Just as long as himself doesn’t wander in and think those look very festive fairy cakes, I’m sure one won’t be missed! If he is anything like mine it could so easily happen.

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be a problem if he isn't wearing his specs, Lettice. I hope everything is going as it should do, for you. Let me know when I can uncross my fingers and toes.x

      Delete
    2. Getting close Elaine... imagine the extra work you could do when your digits are straight... the mind boggles! I’m full of self satisfaction at having finished just six fairy Christmas cards... respect lassie for your workload.

      LX

      Delete
  11. I want to make firelighters now! Except we don't have a fire to light anymore. They look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do look good and not nearly so many calories as a cup cake!

      Delete
  12. Those firelighters look lovely and we use the commercial sort, so these would be much nicer. Eldest Daughter arrives tomorrow for a few days so perhaps we can make some . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If nothing else they look beautiful but, as similar things are sold commercially, they should act as firelighters too. Have a wonderful weekend with your daughter, BB.

      Delete
  13. If you google 'fairy name generator', you will find sites that do that for you! :)

    Also, my blog location has changed. (if you could change it on your blogroll, I'd be most appreciative!) I'm now at: https://agentlebreeze437559050.wordpress.com/

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The winds of change are blowing, eh? Right, I will get that changed sometime today, Silver Willow. I will also try the fairy name generator, thank you.

      Delete
  14. I love those firelighters and am keen to make some myself now. My suggestion for names would be, Faith, Hope and Grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three beautiful names, Lorraine. They will definitely go into the mix - so thank you. It is wild here so goodness knows what it will be like on the island today - no more power cuts, I hope! Great to read that Gerard is doing so well, long may that continue.

      Delete
  15. I really wish it was winter here now! Well, not really as I do love summer, but your firelighters look amazing. Your lovely angels names I think could be Taleah, Amity, Amelie as these are the names of my beautiful granddaughters. Good luck with whatever you choose as I am sure the owners will love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rosie, Lovely names, thank you - they are on the list! I've just been making some finishing touches to the three of them - the one in pantaloons now has elf ears, the small white angel has lost her crown but has a coronet of Christmas foliage instead. I have put away all the equipment now, no more fiddling and tweaking!!

      Delete
  16. Your firelighters look pretty and yet practical and will I'm sure smell wonderful when the time comes to use them. I was thinking of perhaps weather themed names for your fairies or perhaps plant themed ones as both are so much a part of your village life or even the ingredients of your fire lighters Rosehip, Hawthorne and Clove or Cinnamon, so many lovely things to choose from. I hope the bazaar is successful:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rosie, Beautiful names, thank you - they are on the list, along with a couple of weather ones (Snowflake, Storm and Moon Shimmer). I have put away angel-making equipment now, I have a terrible tendency to keep working but I need to step back now and do other things - like working out how to display them, etc.

      Delete
  17. What a lovely useful craft to do with the grandchildren. Loving your fairies xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chrissie, I love crafting with the grandchildren, it is a great excuse to play and have some fun. This morning we made pomanders, once breakfast was out of the way and before they had to go outside to wait for the school bus. The house smells wonderful!

      Delete
  18. I think, if more people would spend their days as you do, it would be a kinder, better world. Fairy names....Ariel, Tinkerbell, Aurora, Blossom, Celeste, Dulcina, Elvina, Fay, Giselle...I could go on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan, You say the kindest things, thank you! I have used all those wonderful names - they helped to defrost my brain and I have now completed the pick list. It was a complete log-jam before all the suggestions came in! Elvina helped me to decide to put little elf ears on the one with turquoise pantaloons!

      Delete
  19. Hearing about the things you do and life in your village is so relaxing - even though you seem to move at the speed of light; I feel like I am moving in slow motion in comparison! You are very creative. Like you, I enjoy walking and taking photos of nature, and I've been feeling grateful that we have been blessed with some really nice weather to enjoy it in. I'm glad you enjoyed the impromptu singing; I agree, it can be liberating if you can let go and enjoy it, but I understand your initial reservations!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.