Pages

Thursday 22 November 2018

A Broken Promise



I visited almost every house in the village today. 

I was doing a leaflet drop, reminding people of all the wonderful things which will be on offer in the village hall this weekend.   

Renewed my respect for postmen, that's for sure.   Letterboxes are so often hidden away around corners,  half hidden by greenery, some are mid-level on doors, while others are almost down on the ground, horizontal ones, tiny, old-fashioned vertical ones, some are sealed up completely.    Many  have those bristle draught-excluders, only trouble is they make it so difficult to actually get anything through the slot.

Some people go for completely separate boxes, and they present their own difficulties - some flaps push in, others have to be lifted, and that is after you have solved the problem of locating them.  Some are on gate posts, while others may be on the house wall, or on the ground, others on a wall.

Trying to find the correct gate to approach through was another problem, not all letterboxes are on the front door, but you only discover that when you have made your approach and searched in vain. 

I had taken Toby with me, I wasn't sure how he would cope, but he was a star, behaved impeccably, even when he came face-to-face with a strange cat, he just completely ignored it, just as he ignored all the snapping yapping dogs at the doors.     He slept like a log afterwards, worn out by the experience.

I had to smile when I saw that one letterbox had a big notice proclaiming 'No Junk Mail' and 'No Cold Callers' - a bitterly cold wind was blowing and I was very cold, but I decided to risk it and posted the notice anyway.

Yesterday morning I read Henny Penny's post about saying farewell to her mother's beautiful antique table and chairs and replacing them with a more modern and slightly smaller set.  While I was out doing the reminder notes, I noticed that one driveway that had the sad remains of a very nice table and chair set standing out in the wet and damp, waiting to be taken away to the tip, or perhaps waiting to be chopped up.

I cared for my elderly aunt after she was widowed.  As she grew older she was very sweet to my offspring and their children, delivery men, meter readers, trademen, etc., but became quite a tartar towards me.   (She spoke to me as though I were her slave, there only to serve or to clean and wasn't at all averse to poking me with her walking stick occasionally.)   I gritted my teeth and tried to put it down to dementia, after all, she was well into her 90's. 

One recurring theme was that I was to inherit her table and if I didn't look after it she would come back to haunt me.    Rather than upset her, I agreed.

Time passed.   I got the table.    It was a nice enough table, 1950's/60's dark veneered wood, but that wasn't the point.    We already have a table, one made to my husband's specification, and  have no room in our down-sized house for another one.   

No one else in the family would entertain the idea of taking it.    I have lots of her other things, some out on display, because they remind me of when she was younger - she was a wonderful aunt.   However, the table just didn't fit into our home or our life.   It had to go.     Her threat to come back and haunt me made me pause for a week or two, then I decided to risk it. 

Her table went.

I am glad to say that she broke her promise too.





21 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, look what I am following! I didn't bring him/it, honest.

    I enjoyed reading your post, first the rounds to post your leaflets, and I do agree that some letterboxes defiantly dare you to post something. And then a piece about your elderly aunt which I read in the knowledge that I have all that before me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to say that the effort of making the mailshot reminder was worth it, we had a good turn out this afternoon, including some of the families new to the village. Glad to be having a rest now though!

      Delete
  3. As a student I once helped deliver leaflets and I can identify with all you said above in your post. They are like House numbers too they appear in all sorts of places.
    No-one should expect you to keep something they owned and it is better to go to someone who will love and care for it. I have a nest of 3 dark wood antique looking tables which are ear marked to go soon - I have kept them long enough (they were my DH's granny's passed to us by his mum). I kept them not to upset his mum who has since died but if his granny were here now she would say 'for heavens sake get rid' but I do feel a bit guilty not liking them, not even sure if they are valuable.
    I would like them to go to a nice home to be cared for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The table had to go - but I did keep her bureau, it isn't especially old, but it is useful! It now sits very happily in my craft room and does sterling service. We get too burdened by 'stuff', at some point I have to face up to doing something with my mother's best dinner service - it is not my style or colour, far too nice for every day use, smothered in applied gold decoration and not dishwasher friendly. My mother died 25 years ago - and that enormous dinner service has filled my big dresser ever since, I need to man up about it!

      Delete
  4. I encountered some of those letter boxes when I used to do my son's paper round on the odd occasion.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting to read about how other countries have strict rules and regulations about letter boxes, Briony. Ours are all so haphazard - or is that quirky!

      Delete
  5. I smiled at the letterboxes, most of them here are separate due to the wind. Its the number system here that I have trouble with they are no in any numerical order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, yes, those wild winds! No numbers in this little village, just house names - but you need to look carefully for them!!

      Delete
  6. I hope after all your hard work you get a good turnout. Love the story of your aunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marcia. Our tiny hall was packed, for a while - the fair went well!

      Delete
  7. My daughter did a stint of postman duty during the Christmas period, she used to say exactly the same as yourself. They even taught them how to post through the box to avoid nashing teeth. We all have very individual tastes so not liking something left to us can be quite a difficult thing to deal with. Upcycle and sell maybe? xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The table got moved on to someone who had a need for it, Chrissie. I could have done with taking the lesson on how to avoid the teeth!

      Delete
  8. I once had that sort of short term delivery job. Along the route I acquired a four footed companion. We went up walks, down walks, through gates. At some homes he leaned heavily into my hip and made it very difficult to go up to the door. I finally realized he was some retired news boy's delivery companion, and I certainly was wasting my time at those homes that didn't take the paper.
    I so remember your aunt. You took your husband with you at the end. And you made her delightful to the end. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have an excellent memory, Joanne - mind you, I did rather bombard you with too many tales of my trials and tribulations with her! Your four footed companion sounds a sweetie - rather like the old delivery horses which knew every stop and start on their regular routes.

      Delete
  9. Your postmen are more forgiving, than ours! Here, the PO would not put up with any "where-is-the-mail-box?" questions, for the mail men/women!!! It's right "front & center."

    And if the walk way is not de-iced and de-snowed, no delivery.

    And if the bushes are too long and in the way, they leave a note, requesting cutting them back!

    And! You are not, not, not allowed, to put anything in them! Only, only, only the Mail Person can put mail in the mail box!!!!

    What heaven, that would sound like, to your poor, beleaguered mail man! :-))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our postmen certainly have a much tougher time of it, wow. Our postman has been on this route for many years and his temporary replacement is also a regular, which makes sense given the complexities. It would take twice as long for a newbie.

      Thanks for all the information about your mail deliveries, it makes for interesting reading.

      Delete
  10. A pet peeve of mine... People "leaving" items, to the living, upon their death.

    Come on! Just because _you_ treasured something, it doesn't mean, that they _have_ to. You'll be dead. What can you care, about your "stuff"?

    And they will remember you, more kindly... If they don't have your "stuff" to deal with.

    Just me!

    It may sound hard hearted. But if anyone is still dealing with (the worry and guilt) of, what to do with those boxes, from a dead relative's home, I'll bet they will get a teeny inkling, of... "Mmmmm, that sounds nice." >,-))))))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have boxes of papers and photographs which belonged to my parents, as well as my aunt and uncle. Every now and again I grit my teeth and sort through more stuff, but I have to be in the right mood, it is tough going!

      Delete
  11. Hi Elaine, your description of the challenges of being a 'postlady' for the day made me smile, particularly the 'no cold callers'! I have to say 'dear old Toby looks so nice and gentle. I can imagine it tired him out - and probably you too. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Jacqui. The dog on my sidebar was my original Toby. He died about six years ago - my 'new' Toby is another rescue dog who came already bearing the name 'Toby', I decided not to change it, although I did add 'Too' to the end. Over the years the 'Too' bit has been abandoned, and he is now Toby, a difficult dog who has gradually relaxed and become rather wonderful, too! Truly another Toby, dog of my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.