Pages

Friday 23 November 2018

Madcap Ideas

At 8.45 am this morning, my daughter rang from school (she is a teacher) she was in full panic mode because there was to be a  meeting about the school's forthcoming Festive Fair, she needed a quick idea for a stall...just like that!

I was reluctant to suggest that she do crafts, because I knew who would have ended up making everything for the stall and I just don't have the spare time.   Instead, I suggested that she go for a game - how about Pin the Nose on Rudolph?

Then I was left in peace to make a cup of tea.   By 9 am my brain had kicked in and I was whizzing around, poking around in my cupboards, looking up on shelves, trying to see how I could make a quick version of the game to help pad out a corner of the village hall tomorrow.



This is what I ended up with.   I found a large unpainted canvas, quickly dashed off something approximating a friendly Rudolph, all the while wondering about how the game could be played.   Velcro, red felt, and dried peas came to my assistance.

I was quite pleased with the result and the good thing is that my daughter can then use it at her school fair in a week or two.

This afternoon a small handful of us gathered in the very cold village hall and set up tables, cloths, chairs, the Christmas tree, etc ready for tomorrow.       Everything is set and the hall is looking much jollier than it normally does on a dank November afternoon.

Everyone had a go with the Rudolph game, judging by the giggles and poor shots this afternoon,  I think it should go down well with any children who may come along.   Fingers crossed, anyway.

I will answer the comments from yesterday, probably the day after tomorrow, when things quieten down.   Meanwhile, thank you for reading and for all your comments.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, whatever you are doing.







26 comments:

  1. Great idea ...the kids will love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a real pleasure to watch them, Bettina.

      Delete
  2. Nothing stops, or fazes you!!!!! You are amazing!!!! Hope your whole family, really appreciates you!!! :-))))))))))

    ✨🎄✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent too many years worrying about 'what if's' wow. These days I prefer to just give things a go, much more fun!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. The children had so much fun with it, Joanne. So did one or two adults, truth be told. ;)

      Delete
  4. Such a great idea I have passed the idea on to my daughters one is a teacher the other a member of the PTA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so quick and easy to make and the small effort involved was more than rewarded by the fun the children had, Lorraine.

      Delete
  5. Well done with that idea, the old ones are always the best a good variation on pin the tail on the Donkey. Should give themhours of fun and laughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of permuations, but as you say, the old games work so well. The children had lots of giggles.

      Delete
  6. Brilliant, brilliant. Can I borrow your idea for our Christmas fair in December?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really easy to make, Molly. Children (and adults!) will have lots of fun with it and it can be brought out time and again, providing the mice don't get to the peas!

      Delete
  7. This takes me back to the kids birthday parties, we always had pin the tail on the donkey, great fun.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in the day when children's parties were wonderfully simple and homespun fun (like my own children's parties).
      My jaw drops when I hear about some of the parties my grandchildren are invited to - a lot of silly competitiveness, I suppose.

      Delete
  8. What a great idea for Christmas. You are very creative, and I might borrow it for our Christmas party. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have a lot of fun - and it really was very quick and simple to make, Rosie.

      Delete
  9. I like your creativity. I am visualising the fun the children had with your game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smallest children, right the way up to the more senior members of the community, had lots of fun with it, Valerie. It was really worth the effort.

      Delete
  10. I love the way you can whip up anything at the drop of a hat!
    Hope the day goes well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life has become more fun since I decided to just take a headlong run at things, Sue. In the old days I would have dithered and dathered - and there is no point in that!

      Delete
  11. I'm so happy that I have found so many enchanting and interesting UK blogs recently. It's because I'm recuperating from surgery and have the time to browse and follow my heart. While we eat Turkey leftovers from Thanksgiving. Today I am thankful I have new enriching reading that makes me wish I lived abroad! Nina Naomi at www.ninanaomimindfulsimpleliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am delighted to hear that you are enjoying some of our blogs, Nina Naomi. I wish you a speedy recovery and will be over to take a look at your blog when things quieten down a little.

      Delete
  12. Brilliant - some times our best ideas come when we are pushed for time.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.