Pages

Thursday 29 November 2018

After the Rayburn


All the dire warnings and predictions about how much we would miss the Rayburn have proved to be largely wrong, thank goodness.        I do miss it as a handy place to stand and warm my back, while waiting for the kettle to boil, but we are finding that the new double-ended wood burner is doing exactly what we hoped it would do.

As you can see from the photograph, a hole was knocked through a kitchen wall and into the sun room.     Dire warnings about how cold and draughty it would all become have proven to be unfounded, we have had some bitterly cold days/nights, wild, wet and windy days and the stove has kept us warm and snug.   It also makes the animals happy.    They have two firesides to choose from so they can be sociable, or not.

The piece of string isn't normally there but I am drying out some apple slices for a little project.  Similarly the brown paper bags are in the hearth because I have pomanders and orange peel drying out, as you do.

The blue saucepan contains spices and water, at this time of year I always used to have a pot of them quietly simmering on the Rayburn - they really scent the house beautifully.   The fan just wafts the heat around a little.

When it gets really cold the gas central heating gets flicked on, to heat the other areas of the house.  So far it all seems to be working as we hoped it would.     Needless to say, the cats enjoy being able to take a shortcut through the hole in the wall.


The log basket is one which I have had since the early 1980's and it is still going strong.    It is enormous, the pine cones are very large and not for burning, I just thought they added a bit of texture to the photograph.


As for the cooking side of things, well it all still looks pretty much as it did when the Rayburn was there.   I intend to change the tiles at the back of the cooker, but other than that everything remains pretty much the same. 


I enjoyed cooking on the Rayburn, particularly on the hotplate, but the oven was always a little unpredictable.  I am saying nothing about the mess and the soot, I have covered that in full, in far too many posts.


The new cooker is a real pleasure to use.     Quick to heat up, predictable and steady heat in the electric ovens, instant heat on the gas hob.   

I am happy.    The mess, hard work and expense was worth it.     (Thank you, Sue, you said it would be fine, and it is.)  Life has become a little easier.

The wind is still blowing hard, branches have been falling in Owl Wood.   I don't mind branches falling, much safer than falling trees.   There will be plenty of kindling waiting to be collected when the weather improves.




28 comments:

  1. The double sided woodburner looks brilliant.
    I haven't got the height above mine for a fan to sit on it which would be handy.
    The wind today is making the wood burner go crazy, I'll check for branches on the meadow when things calm down a bit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love going out and collecting the fallen branches for kindling, just as people have always done. Fresh air, exercise and frugal, too.

      Delete
  2. I think everyone is happy. The cats have a hole in the wall and two firesides. Toby can use whichever side you're on. You have two sides to hang stuff to dry, and fess up. This won't be the first.
    When I was little, we made clove pomanders by sticking an orange completely full of cloves and setting it aside to dry for a year or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very practical hole in the wall has become a magnate. The animals indulge in some joyous hedonistic heatbathing, I get to play around the edges with my herbs and spices, scenting the air, husband can indulge his fondness for throwing logs onto the fire and keeping the home warm. Clove pomanders are my favourites, I have some which are decades old and still smell fabulous.

      Delete
  3. Ohhh you "heard" me!!! Wishing for you, to show us some more photos of your home!!! :-) And what delightful photos, they are!

    Drying apple slices! A perfect place to do it. And all the other items drying, and the simmering pot. Perfect! -happy sigh-

    I'd say, you had a very good person, _planning_ out this whole change. And he did a very, very good job, of it. Perhaps he deserves a plate of fudge? Even though, I'm sure he was well paid. ,-)

    🌲 🌲 🌲



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pass those kind words on to him, wow, he will be delighted. Don't worry, he gets plenty of home-baking. One of these days I will find up my cameras and charge the batteries, take some real photographs for a change. I tend to use my rather ancient (for modern technology) phone camera most days. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing them.

      Delete
  4. That looks so cosy. I do miss our woodburner when it's really cold and wintry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly gives a different kind of heat and energy to a room. Your new place is really taking shape, I really like that light and bright look.

      Delete
  5. Those woodburners let out terrific heat, enough to heat all of our small house. Wonderful idea to have it heating both rooms. Looks like you have a farmhouse kitchen. Must smell terrific too. We have a very similar log basket, tall, and full of wood at the moment. Very cold, for us, just now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay cosy and warm, Linda. I love the fact that you have an oven at the top of yours, now that is really efficient. We have bright sunshine today, not nearly so much wind, much nicer. I have been working outdoors, it beats being inside and seeing how dusty the place is!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It really does get warm and cosy - just ask those cats!

      Delete
  7. I agree with Marcia, it looks so cosy, and with the apple slices, and orange peel and pomanders, it's must smell wonderful. What a nice glimpse into your lovely country home and lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jacqui. It is a comfortable house, not terribly smart, but very cosy with animals and grandchildren in and out all the time!

      Delete
  8. Very soothing photo of the fire. I feel cozy and want a cup of coffee to sip!...lol. Thanks for sharing the good result of all that fuss you had to deal with this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know when, and I'll pop the coffee pot on, wyomingheart! Cake in the cake tin..

      Delete
  9. Glad it is all working well. The wood burner heating two rooms is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really efficient, Susan - and the stove really cheers the place up on a dull day.

      Delete
  10. What a joy a double sided burner. We have been browsing them for our outbuilding which we intend to divide, a craft room one side workshop the other. I always have an old pan on top of the stove so different spices permeate around the house too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A double sided burner sounds ideal for your workshop and craft rooms! It seems to be very efficient and certainly very cheerful on those dark and dismal days, and we all have quite a few of those at this time of year!

      Delete
  11. Love the double sided burner, our log burner is a god send as we do not have central heating here. I had a range at the farm in Devon and whilst I enjoyed using the plates for slow cooking etc, like you say the oven was unpredictable and quite frustrating at times, but it did heat the rads and water xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rayburns really are multi-functional and comforting - but ours was solid fuel and took a lot of hard work, thanks to flue problems. The new combi-boiler provides us with instant hot water and heating, when we need it, so I am happy with the changes - certainly glad not to have to clean down the clue, and the inner workings of the Rayburn every month!

      Delete
  12. For a few years I felt jealous because a friend had a Rayburn and I didn't. I'm happy now with my what I used to call 'my ordinary' cooker. All it needs is for a decent chef to use it.
    !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rayburns are wonderful, but solid fuel ones like the one I had (and very much enjoyed for 12 years) was hard work and meant that we had to sweep the soot out of the flue and the Rayburn itself, every month - and that mean that no matter how careful we were, the kitchen would need a top to bottom clean, too. It all got too much/I got too old and tired for that sort of shenanigan. 'Ordinary' cookers are absolutely wonderful, Valerie!

      Delete
  13. We put a wood burner in and have used it but in truth it gets way too hot and fools the central heating. It is only used now and then or if the heating goes off with a power vur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame, Bill. At least you know you won't freeze if the power goes off!

      Delete
  14. I think perhaps the Rayburn would have been mourned much more if you hadn’t got the woodburner...by the animals at the very least! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Rayburn was undoubtedly a wonderfully warming workhorse!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.