Pages

Sunday 9 February 2020

Bits and Pieces



As I sit here in Parsonage Cottage, I can see the trees in Owl Wood rocking and rolling as the full force of the storm hits them.  The wind is one thing but, even as I typed that sentence, the rain has arrived.   Not normal rain, monsoon-style rain.  I cannot even see the trees right now because there is so much coming down.   All I can say is thank goodness those trees are not in leaf or there would be tree casualties.



Millie, the little ginger cat, has leapt up onto the back of the sofa and is staring at the window in total bewilderment at the noise and the rain.    I am thankful that I managed to squeeze in a very short walk around the garden (so that Toby could 'stretch his legs') before this lot arrived.


The polytunnel has suffered a cut from falling debris, easily remedied with some tape.   The gate between the vegetable garden and Owl Wood has blown down, along with the fencing and the old church pew we had along there.

A lovely metal archway has blown down, but I am hopeful that the honeysuckle plant and the beautiful old clematis it supported can be saved.   The main bird table pole has snapped and fallen, the birds and squirrels were a bit miffed about that one, but right now they have a bigger problem to deal with, this torrential rain. 

That is the damage so far, along with lots of big fallen branches, of course, fuel for next year.

Ooops! spoke too soon.   The conservatory roof has developed a leak, or three.    Buckets and mops at the ready!   Never let it be said that I don't know how to have a good time.



Yesterday evening was also 'interesting'.     The log burner suddenly started puffing out smoke and fumes, then all the fire and fume/gas alarms started beeping and talking, adding to the drama and sense of emergency.


A back-draught had been created by the strength and direction of the wind.   We were being well and truly kippered.

Windows and doors were flung open, never mind that there was a gale howling around.     Ultimately the log burner had to be emptied of logs and hot ash...  Fun, fun, fun!

A new cowling must be bought to fix the problem, even though the original one has always coped admirably before.  No, the chimney doesn't need sweeping, it was done less than a month ago.

Back to the biscuits, TED's meeting tomorrow, my day to do the refreshments, so I made a batch of Lincoln biscuits from a recipe I found in a 1980 Lincoln Cathedral Cookery Book.     The biscuits are mild ginger, shouldn't be too much for anyone to cope with. 

I have also baked some tiny cheesy scones, for those who don't have a sweet tooth.

They are packed with flavour and are far too delicious.   I will be glad to get them out of the house.   They are such a temptation.   

I can 'hear' one of my old Domestic Science teachers, Miss M, from the Isle of Lewis, telling me off for using a fluted cutter for a savoury scone.   Ah, well!  Guilty as charged.

Tuesday was the day for the monthly visit by the mobile library.   They were ten minutes late, but as it was a dry day I didn't mind the wait.

I had a pile of pre-ordered books waiting for collection and I pulled a couple more from the shelves.   

It seems that the service is changing for this rural route.   No longer will a van trundle along to wait in the village for one and all.

Instead, there will be a transit van (the same one they currently use, but with only the driver) which will trundle along to park up by our house gate.   It will bring any books which I may have ordered, plus I get to have a quick browse.   It will stay for ten minutes, no longer.  If I am not at home then the books can be left in a box in the barn.

I have mixed feelings about it.   Yes, it will save me from having to lug my books all the way along the road into the village (no footpath, so muddy in the winter, but especially dangerous in the summer when drivers have the sun in their eyes) but it feels like a real diminution of the service, even though it will make things easier for me.



This is a photograph of Toby, Sparky and Millie.   I took it a few days ago when they were all on 'high alert' because a lion or, possibly, a tiger had attacked Millie in Owl Wood - which you can see just beyond the summerhouse roof.    It was one of those days when we had bright blue skies, lots of sunshine, and a heavy frost.     

Stay safe.   Enjoy what is left of your weekend.

E








38 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm suffering here in Caistor too! The electrical sockets have been playing up and I too have bucket and mop in action. And I can't get to our library - it's upstairs and the stair lift is unreliable. I miss browsing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing too serious, I hope. You have had quite enough to deal with lately.
      As for access to the library - nothing beats a good browse along the library shelves, I know, but have you asked them about what other services they can provide for you? The sun has come out - I wonder whether that means that the worst of the storm has passed.

      Delete
  2. I hope you get the log burner sorted. There have been buckets needed here too, so even though the wind has picked up again I hope we've already seen the worst of the rain.
    The biscuits and scones sound delicious. I often 'hear' my cookery teacher as well. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, the respite seems to be coming to an end here, too. I hope there was nothing too horrendous causing your leaks.
      Five decades have elapsed since she taught me yet still she echoes in my head! Powerful teaching or a strong personality perhaps!

      Delete
  3. Not too bad here in Ludlow. We went for a walk in the woods, it was dry but windy. The rain started on our return. We have a huge, like humongous willowy silver birch tree which I could see blowing this way and that in the evil sneaky gusts and lashing rain. I sat and watched it out of the orangery roof standing its ground against mother nature, I idly thought if it fell this way which branch would I be sat on as it hit the deck? Now looking up, it is calm skies with enough blue to make a sailor a pair of trousers. All is good and for the moment calm.

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lettice, Long may it last! It is picking up again here, hopefully not as strong as before. Is Ludlow quite sheltered, I wonder? You really wouldn't have dared to risk a walk in the woods around here, unfortunately. I could have done with the fresh air and exercise! Silver birches are beautiful trees, our younger son once tapped one of ours and made silver birch wine from the sap. It was very good... perhaps you could start your own label?

      Delete
    2. We are surrounded by so many hills so I guess we are. Only a couple of days ago we were on Clee Hill with Ellie and all of us had the wind under our tails as we were buffeted by the warm-up act for Ciara. Exhilarating to say the least.

      LX

      Delete
    3. Exhilarating, to be sure! Mind you, it was bally freezing and exhilarating this morning, I was glad to get home for a cup of hot chocolate, not something I usually indulge in.

      Delete
  4. Blue sky and the wind has dropped for a moment in our part of Lincolnshire, possibly the eye of the storm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right, Sue. The wind is returning, though not with quite the same energy I hope. Everywhere is very muddy again now after those torrents of rain, full dog-drying duties have resumed.

      Delete
  5. I think Storm Ceira has calmed down a bit thank Goodness. Buckets of rain here as well. The bit in front of my house which my estate agent described as an 'attractive' patio is now an open plan patio as the fence panels at the side of it are all prostrate on the floor. Aw well, at least the roof is still on - so that's a bonus. Enjoy the rest of the weekend. The sun's just come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Molly, Lovely to hear from you. Hang onto that roof! (One of our old houses, an Edwardian three storey seaside house was prone to losing portions of the roof when the wind blew from certain directions, once we even lost one side of the original brick garden wall, all 30 yards of it. I loved the house, but was glad when we eventually moved!) Fingers crossed that you don't have any more dramas and that you have someone to help with the fence. Best of luck with the sale.

      Delete
  6. Lot of rain and wind here as well, even put me off going up the hill to see the stack at Didcot power station being blown up. When I did go out I found it seriouly windy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My late uncle used to build towers like the Didcot ones - all now demolished! I hope you didn't suffer any damage, Bill.

      Delete
  7. Oh dear it sounds like you have several things damaged. Hope you can get sorted very soon,especially the wood-burner. It's supposed to turn cold tomorrow.
    I think the only damage here is my new willow-roll fencing which has come unstapled from the posts. I've not been out at all, days like this going nowhere and seeing no one seem quite long. I shall venture out tomorrow.
    That library service sounds like the beginning of the end. Does it mean they are only serving regular customers so no chance for new people to visit. That's bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to some, we had it easy, Sue. We lost one mighty old tree in the deluge I wrote about, lots of work to be done clearing it up, but several weeks worth of wood for next year! Luckily we have another sapling waiting in the wings, to take its place.
      As for the library van, it really does seem as though we are not going to have a service soon. I have been battling to keep it going, for the last 14 years, I feel as though I have failed. One day people will realise what a wonderful facility they have lost, but by then it will be too late. :(

      Delete
  8. OH boy I hope you didn't sustain too much damage. We had a midwinter ice storm here on Friday, not many tree limbs down. Now it's bitter cold.
    Your cookies looks delicious. Why are you in trouble for cutting the scones with a fluted cutter? I think they are adorable, would definitely want to eat them up!
    I'm lucky to live about 3 minutes from my local library, small but mighty in what it carries.
    Best wishes on things clearing up and drying out.
    Cheers, Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sheri, The cutters: I was taught that the fancy edges were to be used on sweet scones and biscuits, the plain cutters on savoury ones. Of course rules are made to be broken - but I generally stick to the 'rules'! Of course it doesn't matter, it doesn't alter the taste, but it feels wrong to me after all these years!
      We lost one large old tree (during the heavy rainfall) plus lots of big branches all around the woodland. Collecting and sawing will keep us busy for quite a while, but at least it will make good fuel for next winter.
      How wonderful to live so close to a library, especially a well-stocked one!!
      Enjoy your books and stay safe and warm.

      Delete
  9. I am sorry to hear that you have suffered at the hands of Storm Ciara, I do hope the worst is over now. I hope you get your log burner sorted soon, its hard to do without it at this time of year isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sustainablemum. We got away lightly, all things considered! It has been a much quieter day, giving us time to assess the damage to the woodland. The major casualty was one of our oldest trees, a forty-footer which came crashing down during the torrential rain. We always have a stock of saplings ready, in case we need replacements. So, sad though it is to lose a mighty old tree, it is nice to be able to welcome a new boy to the block!

      Delete
  10. Hope all is now calm after such a storm. We've had it here too in MD, torrential rains, high winds and tornadoes touching down. We are not usually a tornado area so very strange weather for us. word out is its another record warm winter. I think winter is not happening here anymore. No snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marcia, The storm has moved on, all is calm again. Order is gradually being restored! We had some sleet this afternoon - the first nod to snow so far this winter. We don't often have much, but we normally have some. Lovely to hear from you - I believe you have been kept busy with your granddaughter - fun, but exhausting!

      Delete
  11. I hope your storm passes quickly and does little more damage.
    And, kudos to the grandchild who built the cookie cairn. Or was it G'ma?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joanne, It was my turn to do refreshments at the meeting today. As usual, I took along a tea towel so that I could wash and dry the cups and saucers. It just so happened to be one of your tea towels. Everyone wanted to examine it, exclaimed how wonderful it is and kept coming up will all manner of suggestions about how I could make better use of it by using it to make a waistcoat, etc. In short, they were totally impressed at your work.xxx
      ps It was G'daughter!

      Delete
  12. My heart goes out to all those who have been affected by the storm. Yummy looking biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello mamasmercantile, We really can't complain, we got away very lightly in this area. None of us were flooded, for which we are thankful. Like you, my heart goes out to all who have, dreadful.

      Delete
  13. A lion or a tiger...in Owl a Wood...how scary! At least it wasn’t a bear! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that takes me back - oldest grandson used to love pretending that there were bears in Owl Wood. We spent many a happy hour tracking them, or hiding from them!

      Delete
  14. Now you mention it I too was taught that savoury and plain scones should not be fluted - of course I ignore that too. They taste just as good with or without fluting.
    We had a power cut of about 4 hours on Sunday but no structural damage here in West Yorkshire - not so for the poor people up the road in Hebden Bridge. Have no idea if our cottage in Scotland is still standing though - we had numerous flood warnings for Luce Bay at high tides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, goodness, that is worrying. I hope that by now you have had some reassuring news. My fingers are crossed for you. We fully expected to have the usual power cuts, got fully prepared and organised, but we were wrong! Not complaining! The cheesy bites were very well received and were quickly eaten by the group - no one mentioned the fluting!

      Delete
  15. Hope you didnt suffer too much more damage in the storm. Fluted or unfluted? I wouldn´t have thought they would be around long enough to debate over lol xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were absolutely correct, they didn't hang around long. Life is too short to worry about minor things like the shape of a cutter, but it is interesting to realise just how deeply that early teaching goes.

      Delete
  16. Heavens to Betsy that's quite a battering. Hopefully by the time you read this the weather has stopped it's storminess. You have a lot to clean though, inside and out. Plus a tiger to scare away.
    I almost missed your post, silly me. I left it till last to savour the news from Owl Wood and surroundings and then of course got side tracked.
    Till next time.. keep safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, The tiger turned into a big black tom cat from a couple of fields away, he is a massive chap, just as well he doesn't come around too often. Toby makes a really good cat scarer - he goes bouncing out into the garden, barking his head off, sets off in hot pursuit and acts for all the world as though he is a brute. He is all bluff and bluster, but it gets rid of the nuisance - temporarily!

      Delete
  17. My first visit. I love hearing about your village. I hope the damage from the storm is easily repaired and that those coffee gatherings go on and on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello hart - and welcome! My apologies for not finding your comment until now. This funny little village is very quiet but I do my best to tease out some bits of interest.

      Delete
  18. I hope the 2nd storm hasn’t caused more damage! I think it has left us down here now, although the Met Office have warned us, it might have a sting in its tail!
    I did know about the fluted or plain scone cutters..... or perhaps I wasn’t paying attention in class (eons ago!) they looked delicious anyway!
    Is your library still run by the council? Our council has now handed ours over to Libraries Unlimited, which I believe is a charity type thing. I know our library is always trying to raise money in small ways (craft sales, 2nd hand games sales etc.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ann, My apologies to you, too. I have only just found your comment. The library is a council run one, though i believe that the one in tiny market town a few miles from here is run by volunteers. It sounds as though your local group are doing their very best to keep things going - well done to them.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.