Pages

Thursday 30 January 2020

Books and Biscuits

A cup of tea, a biscuit and a book.   

Happiness.   

Well, normally that would mean happiness, but just lately I have been finding it difficult to find a book which I can really get into.

Time to pull out my old recipe books, especially the ones written by Florence White.     A fascinating woman.   I have been re-reading her autobiography, A Fire in the Kitchen (the red book) click the link if you would like to read a little of what I wrote about it.

I rarely read just one book at a time, so I have also been dipping into that most appropriately entitled book:  Spring Cleaning and How to Avoid it!  A quick glance told me that I stand no chance of ever being a good housewife/cleaner.   Apparently I should possess a wall broom which should be used every day, to sweep the corners of the rooms, tops of doors, windows and wardrobes, and that is just for starters.

"Only dirty, careless, and untidy housekeepers really need to do a spring-cleaning."

That's me told!

I'll stick with her autobiography and the collections of old English recipes.


My collection of Florence White books.

These old books were sent to me by a blogging friend!  So generous of her.   I already have a copy of the book top left, but the one she sent is old, worn, has notes written in it, bits and pieces of paper and newspaper articles, the boards are completely detached (hence the string) and it thrills me to bits.    It is an old recipe book which has been used again and again for almost a hundred years.    The other three books are fascinating, I am enjoying dipping in and out of them.

Thank you, Bovey Belle - Codlinsandcream2 blog, you can find her in my sidebar. 

I really am enjoying these books!




The biscuit tins were empty.   Time to get baking.   

Ginger biscuits, but not just any ginger biscuits!   

Over recent years I have experimented with several recipes for them, all based on an old Victorian recipe for Hunting Nuts.

This time I used:

8oz butter
8oz dark brown sugar
8oz black treacle

all gently melted together.   Then I added 4 oz chopped preserved ginger, 4 oz chopped candied ginger, 4 oz chopped dates, 2 oz powdered ginger, 3 teaspoons of Cayenne Pepper and several decent glugs of cheap brandy.

Stir them altogether, then work in as much plain flour as you can.   I didn't weigh how much I put in, but it was approximately one pound.   You will know when the consistency is right because it suddenly all comes together and the sides of the pan are left almost clean, the dog will be firm and very glossy.

I used my very small ice cream scoop to measure out the portions (approx 48 this time) roll the balls, flatten them with a fork, then bake them at 180C for approximately 22 minutes, the biscuits firm up as they cool, but adjust timing to suit your taste, and the size of your biscuits.

Dunk and enjoy.  Be warned, they are very gingery, very nicely textured with the dates, and two lots of ginger chunks.    The Cayenne Pepper gives a wonderful heat, especially with a cup of tea. 

Of course you don't have to add all the extra ginger chunks, you could add dried fruit, or chocolate chunks, chopped peel, whatever takes your fancy.   Perhaps you would prefer to flavour with cinnamon, or cloves.  The possibilities are endless.

Time for tea, biscuits and a good read before I have to stir my stumps and get some tea on for the grandchildren.



22 comments:

  1. I am so pleased my little consignment gave such pleasure. I shall see what others I can unearth at car boot sales and fleas this year!

    That ginger biscuit receipt sounds THE BIZZ. I will give it a whirl and see what my friends at patchwork think about these biccies next week! This week's offering was a Date and preserved Ginger Gingerbread cake - moist and moresome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ginger biscuits are not for the faint-hearted, but they are great winter-warmers, BB. The books are wonderful, I am still dipping in and out of them, lots of interesting stuff in them, so thank you!

      Delete
  2. You've got the very best typo there - The dog will firm and glossy! brilliant !!

    Not fond of ginger biscuits so will pass with that recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Sue. I will definitely leave it in place, far too funny to change!

      Delete
  3. Those ginger biscuits sound terrific. I love ginger in baking.
    That's a lovely lot of recipe books. Enjoy your book and fleeting peace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. It is always a fleeting thing here, but nice while it lasts.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the recipe, Elaine. I have to sweep twice a day in our home because our wood-stove is smack dab in the middle of the house. I wonder if that makes me a good housekeeper or just a doomed one. I do love the fire, though.
    Yes, I still have my apron along with a few others and when I think of putting one on, which is not often, I will use it. Thank you for your good wishes, Elaine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to think that you are in your lovely new house after all that time spent planning and building - a bit of dust, ash and soot are part and parcel of wood burning stoves.
      I still miss the Rayburn, but not the flue and chimney-sweeping. Very glad we have the wood burner though, despite the mess!

      Delete
  5. Those biscuits sound heavenly! After going back and reading your review of Florence White's autobiography, it makes me think that there is some justification in the term, 'evil stepmother'. What courage she must have had to soldier on through such adversity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a truly evil stepmother, Susan. Re-reading the book hasn't changed my view on that, deepened it if anything. A remarkable woman!

      Delete
  6. A lovely, old timey vignette, there. I flatten peanut butter cookies with crossed fork tines. But, sugar cookies with a glass dipped in sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep meaning to make peanut butter cookies, Joanne. They must be my next bake!

      Delete
  7. "Well, normally that would mean happiness, but just lately I have been finding it difficult to find a book which I can really get into."

    -sigh- You tooooooooo? -sigh- It is really "getting old," isn't it?

    Oh mercy, those old ways of keeping house! They must have been a hardy lot!!!!

    *•.¸💛¸.•*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would normally have dismissed it all as nonsense, but I do know that she spent quite a chunk of her early life having to do just that sort of cleaning for her stepmother, so she wrote from experience. Thank goodness for modern appliances!

      Delete
  8. That’s some recipe Elaine, forget the feather duster those biscuits will sure blow the cobwebs away! Housework from the comfort of your armchair, that sure floats my boat. Tea and biccies please Mrs... pronto!

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a bit fiery for most people but my husband loves hot curries, really gingery ginger, etc. One or two of those hunting nuts satisfy him far more than half a packet of shop-boughts. I am saving him from all those calories!

      Delete
  9. Those biscuits sounds delicious, yummy. I did smile at your comment on spring cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Early each year I really do suddenly find myself desperate to give the house a spring clean, whether it needs it or not!! Luckily I have found that lying down in a dark room, with a cold compress on my head, soon sorts it out and order is restored. ;)

      Delete
  10. Those biscuits sound delicious. I do love an old recipe book, and I am glad to hear that someone else reads recipe books I love to do that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The joy of these old books is that they are so much more than recipe books, aren't they? The social history and the stories we can glean from them - as well as the occasional recipe - make them really interesting. Delighted to find a fellow reader who appreciates the richness of them.

      Delete
  11. Love the sound of your books, reminds me of the old tricks Grandma used to pass on. I don´t remember it but my Mum was thrilled to get a vacuum cleaner to save the back breaking work. Couldn´t imagine having to sprinkle tea leaves over carpets then sweeping it all up again. Your biscuits look very yummy xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do occasionally try out those old tricks, Chrissie. One book had a recipe for household cleaner which was made using the roots, flowers, leaves and stems of dandelions. I made a batch and it worked perfectly, so well in fact that my daughter asked me to make her some for this year. They knew a thing or two back then!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.