Pages

Friday 14 August 2020

Make Do and Mend

Make do and mend, down on a farm.


Beef cattle enjoying their summer holidays outdoors.   The brown bull is very placid, so are his wives, which is just as well, given the state of that old gate.


Same gate, different angle.   When the cattle are not in residence I use that gate and I can assure you that it is every bit as fragile as it looks!


Another gate, different farm, same farmer.    Here lives a different bull, his wives and their calves.    The next photograph shows them in another part of the field, one hot and very bright morning.




I never walk through these fields when the cattle are in residence, I have alternative routes, so why risk it when I always have a dog with me.   No point in upsetting these happy families.

It has been a strange year.  Already I can see the signs of autumn, parts of Owl Wood pathways are coated in crunchy golden leaves.      The Barn still has the swallows in residence, not sure for how much longer though.

Meanwhile, down at the lovely old watermill they are working very hard, trying to keep things going.



They have been doing takeaway homemade pizza's and burgers and special weekend breakfasts.  They have had to abandon their usual indoor tearooms and have set up a large marquee outside so that visitors can eat cake and drink coffee in socially distanced, Covid-safe ways.



Fingers crossed for decent weather this evening, they are also hosting their first outdoor cinema event of the year.   Pre-booked tickets, social distancing, etc.   The gable side of this building has a 6 metre screen and they have enough space to accommodate 80 people with safety and compliance.  Food and drinks will also be available.

The last I heard, they had sold every ticket; now they just need the weather to stay dry and the staff to turn up.     They work hard and I wish them every success.


15 comments:

  1. Leaves falling everywhere here too after a very hot week.
    I think the farmer need to save up for a new gate!
    Have a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'll get round to it, eventually!
      Thanks, Sue. I hope you find some good buys at a car boot sale.

      Delete
  2. The swifts have gone, they left 10 days ago. It is quiet not to hear them overhead. I like the gates. The weather turned out well here after the early rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of those gates go back well over 80 years, Rachel. I will be a little sad when they are replaced with boring new ones.
      Our swifts are still whizzing around gobbling up insects, no doubt they will be off before we know it.

      Delete
  3. Hello Elaine, Lovely green countryside which I long to see but this year there is no home visit as I have no option but to stay put here in Alicante. Looking at those gates I don't think they would withstand MR Bull and his wives bid for freedom, should the idea of escape occur to them! LOL! Small business are finding it so hard here too and there are campaigns underway to encourage people to buy locally to help but there are numerous businesses closing down. My sister, who on retirement has left New Bolingbroke and returned to South Devon, tells me that it is very similar there too. I do like the idea of the outdoor cinema I hope the weather stays dry for them. Enjoy your weekend Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amanda, I doubt the fragile one could withstand a mischievous calf, never mind the bull! They are a contented group, enjoying their days in the sunshine. It has been a tough year all round, hasn't it. New Bolingbroke to South Devon - lovely area for her retirement years. I hope you are able to visit next year, fingers crossed. The weather was kind, chilly but dry, which is almost as good as it gets in our unpredictable climate! Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  4. Selling every ticket speaks to how "normalcy" is craved. I wish them every success.
    I suppose these gates will not be properly mended. It doesn't seem to suit the farmer's thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joanne, The weather was kind, the turnout was excellent and I can only hope that their tills were ringing. They are showing another film next week, fingers crossed for the weather again! I agree, people are desperate to have some fun in their lives again. The English climate is not great (very unpredictable) for planning outdoors events so I hope the weather gods are kind to them.

      Delete
  5. The outdoor cinema sounds good. I hope it is profitable for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan, It was very chilly but dry last night, they had warned people to take blankets and waterproofs with them, just in case. It is a very small family-run business, they work their socks off to make it all happen. They are a real asset to the area. Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  6. There are some early signs of autumn here too, but this week I'm happy to say we've seen a return to summer weather. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jules, Enjoy the rest of your summery weather, sounds good to me. It is dull, grey, cool and breezy here. Autumn fruits are ripe and ready in the hedgerows. Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  7. Just back from a vacation week at a lovely lake. Nice to see you posting again. I remember walking through fields with at least one bull in it on our walking tour of Cotswolds. Didn't have much choice as that's the way the pathway went.
    I"ve been wondering too if we will see fall begin earlier now that we are north in New Hampshire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is it with farmers and collopsed old gates, I idly wonder? Love all the ideas the watermill are coming up with, they certainly deserve to survive in these weird times.

    Good to have you back Elaine.

    LX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gates? I think maybe a pair of old nylon tights might soon do a better job at keeping the cattle in! The farmer obviously is very trusting of his livestock. x

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.