Pages

Wednesday 8 February 2017

Dovecote or Pigeoncote

I was born in a well known fishing town and have lived near the sea for most of my life, but right from being a very small girl I knew that I wanted to be in the countryside, preferably on a farm with animals.



It took a long time to achieve anything like the dream, but for the last 13 years I have lived in farming country but not on a working farm.   Just as well, given my vegetarian preferences.

Now that I am feeling healthier I am forcing myself to get back out there and do my long walks.   I sound like a broken-winded old cart horse, but at least I am getting out in the fresh air and building up my stamina.  The Tudor dovecote looks a little less robust than when I last really looked at it; the damp is definitely affecting the brickwork, but it is still standing and is a charming and protected building.

It is set just along the track from this  very attractive but muddy farmyard.

Tucked away at the back of the red-roofed barn is a 16th century hall and beyond that there is a building which incorporates a stone with a 'Green Man' carved into it, fragments of what remains of some now demolished buildings.   One of the men who lived here, Sir Henry Vane was charged with treason and was beheaded at Tower Hill in 1662.



Just three fields away and this is the view.   The white building to the left is our village pub.   Just behind the four clumps of yew trees to the centre of the photograph is the village cemetery.   The church was dismantled by Sir Henry Vane and the stone taken across the fields for his building projects.   Not sure of the exact location but it was somewhere near the trees.

As I trudged on through the fields I was struck by just how many small bridges I have to cross.   Tomorrow I'll post photographs of some of them...I bet you can hardly wait!
xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.