Pages

Wednesday 22 April 2020

Postcard from La-La Land
































I got up very early, gulped down a quick cup of coffee, hitched up the dog, then headed off to explore.



There are several well known bluebell woods around here, but this is one I hadn't visited before.



It is little more than a mile (as the crow flies) from home, yet it was new to me.    I have long admired the woodland, figured that it must be another remnant of the ancient woodland which covered this area after the last Ice Age.

Heading to the woodland.

I regularly walk along the farm tracks and along the bridleway, but this time I was determined to turn off the public right of way and explore the private woodland, see whether the bluebells were as beautiful as I had been told.



The scent of the bluebells and that exquisite colour, stretching as far as the eye could see, took my breath away. 


Further into the woods I came across this decrepit old sign.    I wonder whether this used to be open to the public, I quite like the idea of people coming along for the spectacle, then purchasing a jug of tea, settling down on a picnic rug and eating their homemade sandwiches.

I must ask Miss Read, she will know.



Eventually I decided not to push my luck and risk discovery.   I called Toby to heel and we set off for home.

Little realising that Nature had another treat in store for me.

The big field we skirted had a group of five hares romping around without a care in the world.

With best wishes to you all,
Elaine

31 comments:

  1. How wonderful. Bluebells and hares both favourites of mine. Your photos have brought cheer this morning:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely walk, and how lovely to see the beautiful bluebells AND hares. That sign is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bluebells look beautiful - we have a shortage of woodland - public or private- around here sadly.
    Son has spotted swallows where he is working but still none here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those bluebells are beautiful! Love to hear more about those woods and that sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I find out about it I will let you know, Marcia.

      Delete
  5. Bluebells - like Skylarks and Swallows - make the soul sing don't they? We had quite forgotten the ones on our walk on Sunday and it was magical. I think a wee trespass at the moment is allowable and very worthwhile. Lovely photos. Glad you saw those Hares too - it's many a long year since I last saw one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the journey twice, BB, I just couldn't resist!

      Delete
  6. Now that sounds wonderful, my kind of walk. Bluebells and hares it doesn't get any better unless you include a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you would have loved it, mamasmercantile.

      Delete
  7. Bluebells are very pretty though the ones in my garden I pull up as they are the Spanish verity and I hate the way they multiply. Stay Safe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful bluebells. What a sight. How nice to be able to walk to that with Toby. Hope you have more walks out that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that he is a middle-aged dog he enjoys gentle rambles, Linda. Added bonus is that his eyesight and hearing are not quite so keen as they used to be - which is why I got to enjoy the sight of the hares without him trying to chase them!

      Delete
  9. Beautifully Blue.
    Any day you see a hare is good..but to see five!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful, gz. Really made my day.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful - bluebells and hares. Lucky you and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please let us know what Miss Reed says this wood was like in her day. It certainly is beautiful now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow a rebel! So glad to hear I’m not the only one! Isn’t it a wonderful time of day made all the lovelier by doing something naughty? Were the hares boxing? It reminds me of the hares in our top field long ago when I was a farmers wife briefly... maybe another blog post?

    LX

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely flowers--they're very close to the color of the Iris blooms that my husband cut for me for my birthday yesterday. The stalks have several buds so the bloom will last for days on end. Nice walk! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your beautiful pictures, photos are the closest I am going to get to bluebells this year as they don't grow anywhere in great quantities in my village on the environs. I love to go for a walk in a bluebell wood at this time of year, something to look forward to for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How lovely to be able to meander through your lanes and fields, the carpets of bluebells are stunning. Sets you up for the day xcx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful walk! Nature is stunning at the moment. I'm just about to explore bluebells in a nearby wood myself. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my goodness, those bluebells are so pretty!💖

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness! That is such a beautiful site!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful post. I have never seen so many bluebells in my life!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.