Pages

Wednesday 24 June 2020

The Village Show

In years gone by, some of the residents of Little Bunting, Dovecot Dell and Butterbump Splash would be busy reading through the schedule,  drawing up lists, deciding which classes they would enter in the village show.     

Old scores would need to be settled.     Secrecy and subterfuge would be employed, abilities and hopes played down.     Even the mildest and most gentle of folk were secretly driven. 

Special concoctions were brewed, preserves simmered and skimmed to the point of perfection, bottles and jars filled and labelled appropriately then carefully stored, others made perfect, tiny stitches, bold brush strokes, or perfectly composed photographs.     


Entries would be judged to Women's Institute standards, the trouble being that no one, other than a few WI members, knew what those standards were.    Never mind, we all gave it our best shot, increasing our knowledge from year to year.

Alas, as I have so often bewailed, that is now a thing of the past.   Nothing to do with Coronavirus.   

A few of the organisational stalwarts moved, older ones were no longer around to participate or support.   Few people stepped forward to help.   It became unsustainable.   Such is life.


Why am I warbling on about the old village show?       Simply because I came across a sheet of paper with a scribbled recipe for Lemon Curd which also contained a note saying that it was the recipe with which I had won first prize in the village show in 2011.    I had no recollection of having won that class, so I dug out my pile of old prize cards, see above.     

Slowly the cogs turned and I remembered. 

In 2009 I won third, which was marvellous because that was the first time I had ever attempted to make curd.   I recall that I determined never to make any again because it seemed such a performance and required an inordinate amount of stirring.   In 2011 I relented, had another go, and made a better job of it.


All this talk of Lemon Curd made my mouth water.      Luckily I had some lemons in the fruit bowl.  Lockdown meant that I had plenty of time on my hands.     So, for the third time in my life, I made a small batch of Lemon Curd.   What a palaver.  Grate, squeeze, melt, double saucepan, tedium. 



Now I know that it is not pure laziness which prevents me from making it too often. 

It tastes good,  far too good.   I could find ways to use it at every meal.     So I am carefully rationing myself to a generous spoonful swirled into plain Greek yogurt and I won't be making any more for the foreseeable future. 

All this indulgence is tempered by lots of homegrown vegetables.


They are not beautiful, definitely not up to show standards, but they taste great. 




The next few days look set to be fair and hot.    I love it, but I know that many others don't. 

Spells of sunshine and heat are rare so I take full advantage, abandon all but the essential jobs and pretend that I am on holiday.     That doesn't mean that I sunbathe, but I do take full advantage to pick up my books and lounge around. 

How about you?   Does this weather fill you with delight, or do you melt and wilt?
x






22 comments:

  1. I love this weather and like you, I abandon the usual indoor chores and spend as much time as possible outdoors. I know it's stupid but I still can't help feeling a bit guilty about lounging around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. English weather is fickle, best enjoy it while you can!

      Delete
  2. I love the heat too - outside jobs done early then in for a day in the shade.

    Another WI member and myself spent a while in late March sorting out the cookery classes and recipes for Bacton Show (1st Saturday in August forever) - all the time thinking it would probably be cancelled and it was, But at least we can use all the same ideas in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have begun reading 'Fighting Fit', the book you mentioned on your blog (Wartime Battle for Britain's Health, I got a brand new copy for 79p) - it is excellent, especially in the context of today. I am thoroughly enjoying it, so thank you.

      Shame about the show, but fingers crossed for next year. They take a huge amount of organisation, I know, but they really do draw the community together, besides which, they are fun. Enjoy the shade and the heat.

      Delete
  3. I love the hot weather. I don't change my routine too much but it just makes things easier and more pleasant to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, I completely agree. Sunshine and heat definitely enhances my mood, and suppresses my desire to do anything useful or tedious, guilt-free, unlike Sue in Lincolnshire. I bet you have your shorts on today!

      Delete
  4. I am a great fan of the heat and love the warm weather. Sadly, as I am sure you know we don't get the really hot temperatures here and on the odd occasion we do we also get the midges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Midges and Clegs, I remember them well. At least you have the most beautiful scenery to compensate for the 'wild' weather; I do hope you get some good weather this summer though.

      Delete
  5. Oh boy do I love lemon curd. It's hard to stop going to the jar and eating another teaspoonful . I might just have to make some. We certainly have plenty of lemons. At the moment I'm eating greek yoghurt with homemade apricot jam. Rather have lemon curd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, It is far too delish. I have to stop myself from eating it that way, too. Greek yogurt goes well with many things, but I must admit that sharp sweet tang of lemon curd works best for me. Dash it all, we have used it all up - pass the apricot jam!

      Delete
  6. I am enjoying this weather. Long, hot summer days are my favourite, I get chilly if there's a slight breeze. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jules, We have to make the most of them, don't we. I like a slight breeze, it helps to keeps the flies away, which reminds me that I must get some more flies traps out. Have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  7. No show here this year and when it does happen it is a mere shadow of it's former self from when I was a kid. As for lemon curd it had never been a favourite of mine probably because I relate it to a jar of Gales Lemon Curd which tasted aweful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Billy, How lovely that you remember shows from when you were young! I am deeply envious, I imagine they were taken very seriously back then. Home made lemon curd is in a totally different league from the Gales variety, I promise you. If I had some spare, I would send it to you, unfortunately I ate it!

      Delete
  8. Sometimes I sit outside. Sometimes I wilt and melt. Lemon curd is divine, and I've never had homemade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joanne, I hope there is not too much wilting and melting going on; I hope you are simply enjoying some fine weather. As with Billy (above) I would happily send you a jar, if only I hadn't already eaten it. Sorry. :(

      Delete
  9. Happy memories of the Village shows. Your vegies look good and I agree with taking time to enjoy fine weather. Although we had a wonderful (over dry) summer it has been wet lately but we did have a sunny morning which was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan, I hope you have some more sunshiney days ahead - unless your gardens are desperate for a decent bit of rain, of course. I absolutely love harvesting those vegetables which are ready to eat and then trying to concoct a decent meal out of them, the fun does wear off before the season ends, alas!

      Delete
  10. There is nothing quite as good as home made jams, jellies or curd of any flavour. I get the feeling you are a brilliant if reluctant cook?

    The heat sadly I don’t like, although I don’t complain because it seems so rare these days. I just enjoy the garden always hogging the shade. Walks with Ellie are into the forest, which oozes the most glorious damp and cool temperature. Yesterday late afternoon it was so warm Ellie found a muddy puddle to sit in to cool down, how I didn’t join her I’ll never know!?!

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lettice, Reluctant? Yes, definitely. Brilliant? Definitely not. I enjoy baking, especially bread-making, I find it very soothing even though I have been known to make loaves of equal density to a brick.

      Today has been a scorcher. I reckon you will most definitely have joined Ellie in her muddy puddle. Forests and woodlands are wonderful, always so much cooler than out in the sunshine. Bliss. Toby doesn't 'do' mud or puddles, walks around them if possible. This afternoon I got a fan out, he likes to have it gently wafting cool air over his belly and paws - electric fan, not me standing there wafting him with ostrich feathers...
      Have a lovely weekend.
      x

      Delete
  11. I love the heat too except here in NC it is the heat and humidity together that hurt, especially when gardening. Your jar of lemon curd looks delicious and sounds good mixed in yogurt. I don't know what lemon curd is. Never tasted it. Think I will Google it. Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Henny Penny, Heat and humidity, the terrible twosome! Lemon curd is made from butter, egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar. It takes quite a lot of slow cooking and stirring, Henny, but it is the most heavenly taste - rather like the lemon part of a lemon meringue pie. Have a lovely weekend.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.