Pages

Tuesday 19 March 2024

Delving into my Past

 Way back, so far back that we go into the previous century, when I was almost 30 years younger than I am today,  my younger brother and I used to occasionally organise art exhibitions, mainly as fund-raisers for charities.

One such, was for a local hospice.  We had a broad range of works available to us.  

Because this particular exhibition was in aid of the hospice and was to be held in a rather nice country house, we were also able to secure some of the work of - goodness knows how many greats are involved here, but lots - grandson of Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792).

The country house in question belonged to the then High Sheriff of Lincolnshire.   All terribly nice, terribly highbrow, not my kind of do at all.  However, it was for charity.  We put on a brilliant show and raised a good amount for them.

It was a summer garden party, the weather was kind, we got everything ready in good time before the guests arrived.   We were putting the finishing touches to everything when the High Sheriff himself came down from getting into his full ceremonial outfit, complete with frills, ruffles, sword and fancy feathered hat.

He strutted about, made a few kindly meant inane comments, turned, tripped on his sword and made an ungainly exit into the gardens...we waited until he had gone then had a chortle.  These things are hard work, you have to get some fun where you can.

After a full day of very hard work we were invited into the kitchen to take whatever we wanted of the leftovers...we declined, nicely.

What does a High Sheriff do?  It is a non-political Royal appointment for a single year.  The role is largely ceremonial, but they do play some part in supporting the Crown and the judiciary.    They receive no remuneration and no part of the expenses comes from the public purse.

Princess Diana's sister, Lady Sarah McCorquodale, was High Sheriff of Lincolnshire in 2009, so that gives you some idea of the type of people who hold the post.  


On another occasion, we organised an exhibition in Louth.  For some reason or other (now lost in the mists of time) we couldn't gain access to the venue until much later than we had hoped.  Time was short and there was a lot of art and organisation to be done before the town Mayor was due to open the event.  

As the hour approached, we still had half a dozen or so paintings which needed to be hung...a man appeared and just stood around the doorway, loitering.  Time was ticking.  I looked over my shoulder at the man and suggested that instead of just standing there it would be wonderful if he could just help hang something...he did.

I'm sure you have worked out by now, he turned out to be the town Mayor!  He took it all in good part, and had a laugh. 



12 comments:

  1. You've lived a very interesting life. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have, Linda. It just takes something to trigger those memories.

      Delete
  2. Someone worthy of being a mayor then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once he got over his surprise he got stuck right in, an excellent mayor!

      Delete
  3. A lovely past, present and future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know more than most about doing exhibitions, Joanne.

      Delete
  4. I was once chaplian to the High Sheriff of Lincolnshire! Chortled at the outfit he wore, but so did he.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This High Sheriff was just out of his comfort zone with arty stuff. The heat of high summer didn't help the poor man with his outfit. In real life he is a most excellent beef farmer!

      Delete
  5. My experience of High Sheriffs and Mayors is that they are hard working people and pretty ordinary actually so the fact that the Mayor helped you hanging the pictures didn't surprise me, unless I have missed something in my reading. They usually have to combine ceremonial duties and works for charities whilst continuing with their day job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think perhaps you read it in a slightly different way to the way I felt as I wrote it, Rachel. I was not denigrating the work they do at all. The High Sheriff was just not comfortable with all the arty stuff invading his home. As for the May, as I explained, to me he was simply another pair of hands. He wasn't wearing his chain of office at that time. He was great.
      When I typed out the question what does a High Sheriff do? I was simply explaining their role because, as sure as the sun is in the sky, someone would have asked the question. I have no gripe with ceremonial roles, in fact I love that we have, and still celebrate, all these quirky things. x

      Delete
    2. I wondered if I had misunderstood a bit! I was thinking particularly of a lovely solicitor who worked close to me in a commercial sense many years ago, who was the High Sheriff at the time, when I wrote my comment! Thanks for the explanation which makes perfect sense.xx

      Delete
    3. When I read it back, I could see why you may have thought that it had been written that way.xx

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.