Pages

Friday 22 March 2024

Spring in Owl Wood, a Race Against Time

 Owl Wood is very active.  


The last few days have seen the cow parsley/Queen Anne's Lace spring into action.  The primroses and violets have been swamped by this vigorous plant.  So far the areas of wild garlic are just about holding out, but it won't be long until that disappears under the surge of other plants.  If you look closely, you can see that has already started to happen - and the wild garlic hasn't even flowered yet.



All this growth means that, frequent visitor to the gardens and the wood, Mr Pheasant and his two wives have plenty of cover.   They are refugees from the many shoots which take place around here during the season.  


We now have a bit of a race on our hands.  Our new 'muncher/cruncher' machine has finally been delivered.  It faces a mighty challenge.  It has to convert all the many heaps of fallen branches from this  


into mountains of gold, like this.

It is small in size, but extremely powerful.  The mulch it produces is far superior to that which our old machine gave us.  We need lots of mulch for the tracks around the wood and the vegetable garden.   This is the kind of work I really enjoy.  Getting the woodland sorted out ready for Easter and the summer holidays.  Much more satisfying than housework.

Now all I need is a reasonable spell of dry weather.  You know where you will find me...down in Owl Wood, clad in a hard hat, with visor and ear protection, hands clad in very thick gloves.  All necessary as I get rid of some very nasty blackthorn which has ripped my skin a few times already this year.


11 comments:

  1. The greenery in Owl Wood is very pleasing to my eye. The cow parsley has taken over like the clover and nasturtiums do in my garden. Just a pity it smothers everything else.
    I would love a chipper like that. How satisfying to see all those branches turned into chips.
    Now I suppose you have to haul away the chips. To your garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I re read. The mulch goes in your garden and the paths.

      Delete
    2. Hello Linda, From around now, until mid June, it really does become beautiful. Then, as the cow parsley dies back, it looks awful! Clover and nasturtiums sounds rather nice, I bet the bees appreciate them. Please don't apologise! Yes, we spread the mulch over the woodland paths and then the leftovers go into the gardens. If we have a wet summer the pathways become deep mud without the mulch.

      Delete
  2. What a peaceful spot. Reminds me of the first time I discovered Ramsons in the wild - when my walking pal and I sat down on a green bank to rest . . . My horse used to adore Cow Parsley and stop at a suitably impressive clump and ask nicely, pawing with his hoof!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bank of cushiony-looking green, yes, I can see that. I wonder whether you carried the aroma away with you. Your horse sounds as though he was very polite/well trained, safety first. Woman and horse, a great partnership.

      Delete
  3. Looks and sounds a great mulcher. My late husband and I had a similar one before we moved down here but he insisted it was too noisy to bring down to "civilization". How I wish we had brought it. I bought a smaller electric one but not nearly as good. Like you I much prefer using that to housework. Owl Wood looks delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been out there working a few hours each day, Susan. The preparation is the hard work but it makes the actual noisy side much easier. We are about a quarter of the way through. The cow parsley is trying to hide everything but I am determined to get as much done as we can before that happens.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely outdoor occupation, converting all those sticks and brambles into mulch for the trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very satisfying, backache inducing, but satisfying in a way that housework could never be!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the forest photos, loved them! It takes a lot of work it seems and your new machine helps with that. I really liked the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hard work is rewarded by having a beautiful space to wander around for the rest of the year. I'm glad you enjoyed the post, Katerina.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.