Pages

Saturday 2 March 2024

The View from the Boot Room

 Regular readers will recall that a few weeks ago my bank card was compromised and I awoke to find that, according to my bank statement, I had spent a night in a hotel and had lots of 'fun'.  

Since then I have upgraded on security for the computer, thoroughly scanned and virus checked on several occasions, all passwords changed, etc, etc.

You can imagine my horror when I checked this morning and found that during the night I had been our and about having £80 of beauty and hair treatments, all while I was tucked up in my bed.  Fraud.

Once again my card has been cancelled, long phone calls made with the fraud department, and much hand-wringing done.  Nope, nothing unusual I can think of, no lending of card, or sharing of pin.  Another mystery.

Well, they are not going to get me again.  In future my transactions and purchases will be done from a machine which is entirely dedicated to that one function.  

Blogging, reading newspapers and so forth will continue to be done on my laptop.  

I will not be defeated.

The rain has fallen heavily followed by the most brilliant sunshine.  I was lucky enough to spot this beautiful double rainbow which just happened to end in our barley field.  The photograph does not do it justice, it was the most colourful and intense rainbow that I have seen in my life.

One funny thing, our daughter, who lives next door, had a disturbed night.  She dreamt she was being scammed and her bank account was being emptied and she was powerless to stop it...we didn't tell her about what had befallen my account until mid morning.  Very peculiar.  

ps I am happy to add that her fears were unfounded, a bad dream, her account was fine!

14 comments:

  1. I shall be interested to hear about your new machine. I've not been scammed - yet. I want it to stay that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My theory is that some kind of 'virus' lurks deep within my computer. I have shredded personal files, trackers, cookies, done fully comprehensive scans, etc (well, the updated security has!) but even so, I don't feel able to trust my laptop fully.
      We have an Apple device which has even tighter security and this has not been used for any form of social media, surfing, etc. I will use that for the few online purchases I make from sites with highly rated security. Other purchases will be made with cash, locally. It will change the way | shop, but I am not going through all this nonsense again, I hope!

      Delete
  2. Have you wrapped your credit cards in foil, or made a little foil envelope for each one? Or put foil on the inside of your purse/wallet where you carry your cards? The foil "foils" RFID stealing your card information. Of course, you can buy wallets that do the same thing. You also need NEW cards with new numbers, if they are still able to seat from you. Never do any banking from your phone - that puts all your information out into the ether for anyone to pick up. Just some suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ruth, Thank you for the information and helpful suggestions. I neglected to say that after the first incident someone recommended a special screening wallet, so I bought one for my husband and myself. My card was immediately chopped up and blocked.
      The crazy thing is that I do not allow my computer to talk to my telephone and I rarely use my telephone for anything other than as a camera (I only have it because my husband used to worry when I went out on long walks with the dog) I don't make calls and I don't answer them either, unless it is to receive the texts with my one time passcodes, to confirm that I am making a transaction, all of which makes it very puzzling.

      Delete
  3. My card was compromised several times over a three month period. I never learned how, but it seems over, knock wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joanne, I am very glad to hear that you seem to have got your problem sorted, touch wood! I will get there, by hook or by crook...ooops! not a very useful saying, but you know what I mean!

      Delete
  4. How scary to find out that you are being robbed... Let's hope it doesn't happen again. Perfect rainbow. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Katerina, I was feeling very grumpy about the whole thing, then I saw the immense beauty of that rainbow and felt a whole lot better. Enjoy the week ahead.

      Delete
  5. It is very scary to be scammed again after so many changes and precautions. Don't the fraud squad have any ideas about how it's done? I hope your new precautions bring it all to a halt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, The woman I spoke to was very helpful and (I hope) efficient. The whole thing is a jolly nuisance, very annoying, just glad we caught it early. As explained in some of the previous comments I plan to completely change the way I buy things which will be frustrating until I get used to it, but needs must. I hope your recovery is going well - being waited on hand and foot/

      Delete
  6. My, but I do dislike fraud. I have had someone charging medical procedures under my health care account, and this continues. I have a secondary insurance, so I am not troubled to pay any cash, but someone continues to get money for procedures that are not true, and certainly not being done on me! Such is data theft in 2024… I do think your daughter may have some insights…. Great to hear that your troubles are working out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous, I am very sorry to hear about the fraud being enacted on you. Dreadful situation. Thank goodness for your alternative cover.
      My poor daughter, she normally sleeps like a baby (except she didn't sleep much when she WAS a baby, darn it!). It was a very odd thing to happen, but then we are close - even so, we do not share bank cards. Just an odd coincidence.

      Delete
  7. Good grief...again! What Uggers they are...Beautiful rainbows, and the gold will appear in due course as barley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More phone calls yesterday but the money has been refunded, thank goodness.
      The farmer next door will definitely be chuffed if he gets his pot of gold after harvest! I call it 'our' barley field because our house and gardens stand in it so we see considerably more of it than he does!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.