Pages

Thursday 7 March 2024

Old and Wobbly

 I love old and wobbly...buildings.  They have so many stories to tell of people and place.  

Take this old building, which no longer exists, for it has been replaced with a garage and large dog kennel/compound.  The beauty has been lost, the stories almost forgotten, but I was lucky enough to spend a lot of time in and around the property before it was swept away.


It had long been neglected, although it was in almost daily use as a store shed and workshop by the lovely old man who used to live there.  You can see the holes in the roof, the wobbly shape and the ever-increasing cracks.  It came to a point where we feared for his safety.

The taller building was one of the village slaughterhouses.  The other side had been stabling.


John Poplar used to keep his honey extractor in there, along with lots of old white goods and assorted detritus.  He had been a farmer, then smallholder, almost all his life.  He had kept bees since he was very young and was often called upon to give talks and demonstrations, as well as teach the young ones learning about the care of bees and their hives.  


I have very happy memories of the time I spent there for he was a man with many tales to tell and a slightly naughty sense of humour.  He was a real character.


If I am to be scrupulously honest, I would have to confess that my affections were pretty equally divided between John and his old horse, Arnold.  

Arnold was a lonely old horse, especially once John's wife had died.  At first he was given the companionship of several sheep, which worked well until one of them headbutted John and that was the end of that.


So I began visiting Arnold twice a day.  In this photograph you can see my lovely old Toby (the original Toby) and my gorgeous cat Bennie.  I would take Toby along the lane to the paddock, while Bennie would cut through Owl Wood to sit a while with him.  They got on really well.


All gone now, swept away by time, age, and 'progress'.  

They are forever in my heart, but thank goodness for cameras.

18 comments:

  1. What a lovely building it was, around here it would have been turned into a house!
    Wish I had photos of all the buildings in the back yard of my childhood home - they were all various builders workshop and storage and much played in by us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have taken an enormous amount of money to rebuild, John's family decided to have it dismantled and the materials 'recycled'. The place was sold shortly after he died.
      I hope you had as much fun as I am imagining, playing in an around those workshops, Sue!

      Delete
  2. Definitely a building of character. Pity to see it go instead of being renovated and used

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old John's family lived away, so they did what was practical for themselves and John. History swept away, but at least I have the archive of photographs.

      Delete
  3. Now feeling rather sad...time and tide wait for no one though...nice to reminisce though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of the most charming places in the village, the whole yard was very much along 'Darling Buds of May' style. Slightly run down, very characterful.

      Delete
  4. How right you are that even in the most negative things there are positives and the opposite! Great text and photos! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Katerina, I am glad you enjoyed it. I spent many happy hours up there, the man and the horse were great company!

      Delete
  5. Nice to see the cat strolling along to walk straight under the horse. So like a cat to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rachel, The first time I saw Bennie doing that I held my breath, certain that she would receive a kick but, Arnold was very good with her. She would go up on her own to spend time with him, she would sit on the fence post and he would stand next to her. Nice to think they formed a small bond of friendship. She was also a superb mouser and ratter, the stables would probably have had rich pickings.

      Delete
  6. I do like your stories. I'm glad you pass them on to us. Lovely to read how you and the animals kept company with Arnold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the old days John's wife used to give riding lessons to the village children, just informal and fun ones. The paddocks were used by the village school for sports day activities, so it had been a really busy place. I think Arnold missed all the fun!

      Delete
  7. Thank goodness, indeed, for your camera. Arnold was a wonderful old fellow back when you visited him, and so he remains.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Joanne, Your comment had become lodged in Spam for some reason.
    They were happy times all round. Those photographs are so 'old' that my 2 year-old laptop cannot even read the discs without a special attachment. Once granted access again, I found thousands of old memories in the photographs. My time with Arnold was special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He sounds like he was a real character - lovely old useful buildings too. Arnold was a lovely horse. What a shame they only exist in photos now. Wasn't Arnold good with Bennie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could weep when I pass the place now. I like the people who own the place but it has now been made strictly functional, no charm or history :( Arnold was also friends with the Barn Owl who lived in one of the old barns, he would often spend many hours in that barn, standing right next to the owl who roosted in the rafters above his head. I once managed to snatch a quick photograph of them together, can't find it at the moment though.

      Delete
  10. We can remember Arnold and his lonely horse too, and your kindness n visiting the horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but it was my pleasure, I liked the man and the horse.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.