Pages

Friday 15 June 2018

A Tale of Two Blacksmiths

The traditional image of a blacksmith is that of a big brawny man, muscles bulging as he makes and fits shoes on a huge and patient cart horse.    Imagine the heat from the fiery furnace,  the smell of burning hoof and the deafening sound of the hammer on metal...


I don't know who created this wonderful image, sorry
I found it on pinterest

Meet the man who was blacksmith to this little village - a tiny man, not much over five foot tall yet he was the village smith for over seventy years, his name was John.     


He especially loved shoeing horses and would regularly make and fit over a hundred shoes a week -  as well as repairing farm machinery, etc.   although he slowed down a little when he reached his mid-sixties.    Not bad for a man who was told that he was not heavy or strong enough to be a blacksmith.

John left school at the age of nine as he could read, write, and do arithmetic by then!    (This would be back in the late nineteenth century.)   Upon leaving school he worked on a farm, with his father.   He loved horses and they responded to him, so one of his jobs was to take the farm horses to the blacksmith to be shod.     That was when he decided that he wanted to become a blacksmith. 


Another image from the internet. 
Sorry, I don't know who to credit.

At the age of fourteen he asked the blacksmith if he would take him on as an apprentice - which is when he got the refusal, based upon his diminutive stature.    He persisted and eventually the blacksmith gave him a trial and took him on for training.      After ten years of learning on the job John left to set up his own business a few miles away, this would have been around 1908.



It was then that he met the woman who was to become his wife, Alice.      They had three children and were married for over fifty years.    Alice was a founder member of the local Women's Institute and did service as president of the branch.     In later life, when he was 84,  he described her as being "80, but still getting about". 






John would tell people that he was interested only in smithying, never took an interest in anything else.    However, he was on the parish council and he was, at one time, a special constable, so he did his bit for the community.      He worked on until well into his 80's.


His son Eric, also became a blacksmith and worked alongside his father.    He continued to work the forge in this village until only a few years ago.      They worked well together, one liked working with horses, the other with machinery, making gates, fences, etc. 





This is one of the old designs he worked from, it was rescued, along with a lot of other papers, from a skip.   Eric and his wife had no family to leave the business to, everything went to a nephew, I believe.  The house was cleared, the smithy goods were auctioned, the house sold.  The end of an era.


As you can see by this photograph, Eric took after his father in stature.










12 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmmm.... Yesterday, your font was larger, and so much easier to read. Today, it is back to usual, smaller size. Wondering why this happened, yesterday? And why it "disappeared" today...?

    If it is not being too impertinent, to ask, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful history...

    One joined a profession, by being an apprentice, 'back in the day.'

    Same with so many professions. My husband and son are pharmacists. One became a pharmacist, 'back in the day,' by being apprenticed to an older pharmacist.

    And as to the font size, I simply enlarged what shows on my screen, X3. And it's fine for my old eyes! :-))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good and sensible method, wish there were more apprenticeships on offer for young people these days! I'm glad you enjoyed my potted history of the village blacksmith. I hope blogger is behaving and that your eyes are not too strained!

      Delete
  3. LOved reading this story. Took me back to my childhood when we had a blacksmith in the town at the end of the market. I loved to stand and watch from outside and I can still recall the smell of the hooves when the hot shoes went on. Sadly the blacksmith was a grumpy old man and used to tell the kids to clear off. lol
    My Grandad was a very small man but had the strength of two men, short doesn't mean weak does it?
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Briony, What a shame that he was grumpy - perhaps he was worried that children could upset the horses. You are absolutely right, that is what I loved about this story, the fact that they were both quite small and yet they were perfectly well able to do the work. Compact and very strong, just like your Grandad!

      Delete
  4. About 2 hours later...

    And now, your post has lovely large print! Where it was smaller, a couple of hours ago!

    -grin- What are you doing? Trying to totally confuse me??? >,-)))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Luna. I haven't done anything to adjust the font size, it is as I set it the other day... Blogger playing games with you, perhaps? I normally only view it on my laptop, but I have just had a look on my ipad - where it looks small type, easily expanded, however the view on my laptop is the same today as it was when I did the previous post... A mystery!

      Delete
  5. I especially enjoyed this story for my grandfather was a blacksmith. He, like John, was small of structure, but that never held him back either. He was known for saying, "A man will burn in hell faster for bending cold metal than for lying." I have a real appreciation for hand-forged metal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chip, That is wonderful. Do you have any of his work? Every time I come across bits of old metalwork buried in the garden, or lost in the local fields, I find myself wondering whether they were made by our old village blacksmiths. Over the last twelve years I have found some lovely pieces.

      Delete
  6. I used to work for our village blackssmith, did so for a few years till I started my apprenticeship which he had a hand in. I lost touch for a number of years as he moved to the next village and I movedaway with my wife. A few years later we moved back and to my delight found out he was living next door. He and his wife became god parents to our kids and my cat lived with home more than me. He died suddenly one new years Eve and his wife passed on Andes months lather. I always visit his grave marker when I go to see my parents. Always cherish his memory so your tail rings a bell with me. Btw I used to be able to pick an anvil up when I was 16, doubt I could move one now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember now, you did tell me, but I had forgotten. This is wonderful, how nice that you found each other again and were such friends, I like that. I may be wrong, but didn't you say that you have an altar rail that he had made? ps Please tell me that you don't have an old anvil in your shed, I would hate to think of you having a go at revisiting your youth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My childhood acquaintance with horses didn't include their shoeing. I suppose my great uncle brought in the blacksmith for the two plow horses he'd retired to pasture, post WW2, and the horses that pulled the milk wagon down my grandmother's street probably were the responsibility of Sealtest Dairy.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.