Pages

Tuesday 12 June 2018

Monday Afternoon in the Village Hall





We should have got the best teacups and saucers out, boiled plenty of water in the urn and provided lots of cake.   
We would have done, too - had we known ...






Perhaps  the brilliant sunshine and wonderfully warm weather had something   to do with it but, our monthly group has just four or five regular attendees, today we had people we haven't seen since
 last year.      

A charming  92 year old (who used to run a large and handsome house, which was open to the public several days a week), two women in their 80's and three in their 70's, the remainder were in their 60's   -  we also had three brave men with us, a rare happening.

I think they all had a good time.





The sun was still shining when the meeting broke up.   
No one wanted to leave,  but stayed chatting outside the hall afterwards. 
Eventually I had to bid them farewell to dash home and cook a meal for the grandchildren.
I hope we have a similar turn out next month.
I won't hold my breath though.
    

Later, I took Toby for a good long walk and reluctantly turned for home when it got a little warm for him.    

The verges and field margins are filled with wildflowers, including these pretty orchids, masses of them.






As I walked through the barley fields I was accompanied for much of the way by brilliant turquoise blue damsel flies, it was almost like walking with fairies flitting around me.   Very beautiful.

I couldn't snatch a photograph, so I found this old one of a dragonfly... ugly to some, but look at those wings!






Today is like a completely different season.   Heavy grey skies and very chilly indeed.    
Normal for Lincolnshire.   😞





My little flower fairy reminded me that last year we had made plates of food for the fairies...
could we do it again?




Of course we can!
The idea is to wander around the garden picking tiny flowers and offerings
then she leaves them out for the fairies to enjoy.  
The only rules being that the flowers must be
 small enough to fit onto a leaf
and they must not be
 her father's prize blooms,
my flowers are all fair game.


It won't be long now until midsummer eve,
less than a fortnight.
Fingers crossed for a fine evening because we are attending an open air performance
of  A Midsummer Night's Dream
at the local watermill.
Quite excited to have that on our doorstep.
They have some wonderful ideas for the rest of the summer, too.
Open air screenings of some choice films
being just one of them.
Exciting times for our village!




18 comments:

  1. Oh my Dear, you have increased the size of your Font. Oh it is wonderful! Super! Totally grand!

    Silly me, why didn't I ever say, that your font was a bit small for my old eyes? I want people to do so, if my blog is bothersome to them. And you are sweet, and would not have been upset with me. So, why didn't I? I really, really don't know. Silly me.

    But thank you so much for increasing the size!!!

    Funny thing, because I am composing a post, asking readers to please tell me, of any problems they are having, with reading my blog. Another blogger and I have been discussing this issue, and it felt time, for me to post such a question.

    It's not yet ready to publish. And then, I cam here, and.... Wheeeeee... Bigger font!

    It sounds as if you had a wonderful meeting. Hope it keeps happening. These older folks have so much to share. Whatever prompts them to come, and to share, is a good thing.

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annnnnd, I love dragonflies!!! And Flower Faeries!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More damsel flies today, Luna. Beautiful creatures. My granddaughter got up very early to check to see whether the fairies had eaten their banquet...just as well I was up even earlier!

      Delete
  3. Fairy plates. How wonderful/ Now that's an idea I'm going to use for my two youngest.
    The boys make swimming pools for frogs in the garden and usually manage to dig up an umoticed plant or two. I really don't mind.

    But you have an Owl Wood. I'll have to think where my fairies might reside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple childhood games - but so much fun. I like the frog pool idea, we have plenty of frogs and toads, so thank you for the idea, Linda.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely grandmother you are to make fairy plates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello hart - and welcome. They are definitely leading me into my second childhood!

      Delete
  5. What delightful summer things, for your village to look forward to!!!!

    When our grands were little, I made them crowns with Queen Anne's Lace. And they did their own version of Midsummer Night's Dream, in the back yard. :-) I played a CD of music from the movie sound track, to accompany them.

    No pictures. -sigh- But a lovely memory.

    Your little Faerie will have the memories, and the photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a beautiful memory, such fun. It just goes to show what can be done with a little imagination, the best of times.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely gathering that must have been to have so many come who were not regulars. I imagine stories were shared that you will share with us of times gone by.
    And fairy feeding! What fun! I'll have to remember that for the granddaughter who lives close. She's not even a year yet but almost and those fun times are still to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcia, It was so good to have the extra people there. The group is always fun, but extra input and energy adds to the enjoyment. I heard today that three of the non-regulars have confirmed they will attend next month, which is very pleasing.
      They grow up so quickly Marcia, she will be enjoying little games like that before you know it.

      Delete
  7. You know how to bake a fairy cake 🎂!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have to bake my finest cake for the next meeting, one of the members used to be champion cake-baker... My cakes are good when all the stars align correctly, others are a disaster. Watch this space!

      Delete
  8. Pure magic! I am sure that a lovely day, full of sunshine, will make people come out and want to gather together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once when I was younger I would have laughed at afternoon tea, now I think that does sound nice and something my wife & I partake in our garden when we can. This morning the winds blown over one my wife's beautiful standard roses

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too magical for me ... Mother Earth that I am, with feet of clay.

    LX

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.