Pages

Sunday 17 June 2018

Owl Wood Fun



I had today mapped out in a certain way - it didn't happen.    

Instead, the little flower fairy, who lives next door, asked whether the pressed flower pages she had done would be ready yet...so of course we had to take a peek.   




Needless to say, we were both pretty pleased with the results.   




Her next job will be to label some of them, when her writing has become just a little smaller.   




Now she understands what pressed flowers are, and the pitfalls of not placing them carefully enough, but I think she made a very good job of them.







Of course she had to look through the rest of the book and became engrossed in this old painting, which tells some of the very many stories and games we used to make up, or played, in Owl Wood.

Even her older brother became engrossed, which was pleasing, because the journal was started purely to remind them of the good times we have shared in that little woodland.





Little moments which would otherwise have been lost forever - the very young deer which came to visit, one magical year when we actually had a red squirrel in the wood, worried pheasants taking refuge from the guns, the owls, the fairy picnics...








There are lots of maps and plans - reminders of how things change and evolve over the years.  Sheds get moved, garages built, shrubs moved, fruit gardens resited, hen houses sometimes here, other times there...





One map made to look a bit like an old map fit for a pirate on a treasure hunt - because that was the phase our grandson was going through at the time.   Fun, fun, fun.      So often I have felt apologetic about my work, but now I am pleased with it.   





The basic shape of the village houses all came about because at the time this next one was drawn, we were caught up in playing seemingly endless games of Monopoly.    As the person entrusted to be Banker, I seemed to dole out endless houses and hotels for other people, too busy counting out money and keeping the game fair, to concentrate on my own properties.   Thank goodness that phase has moved on - for now.





So what if the arty types get sniffy, their opinions really don't matter.      

This is a journal for my grandchildren, they understand it and enjoy trawling through it.  

I will stop here - apart from anything else I have to get the tea ready!




24 comments:

  1. Beautiful... Magical... Perfect.... Your drawings.

    And the pressed flowers are wonderful too.

    How I love all of this.

    And what lucky "grands" you have. To live next door, to a Special Someone, who knows how to weave childhood magic.

    Many gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was thrilled with the flowers, Luna! She has just been back to check the book again, this time it has really 'tickled her fancy' and she is filled with ideas for other pages. My husband and I are the lucky ones, just wish we saw the other two a little more often so that we could do something magical for them.

      Delete
  2. I remember pressing flowers years ago and making bark rubbings in my junior school. They taught us to identify flowers, grasses and trees. I find it a shame that a lot of kids now do not know an Elm from and Apple tree.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Briony, that is a wonderful idea, bark rubbings must go on the list of activities. They would make a nice addition, especially if they each do their favourite tree.

      Delete
  3. Just Beautiful, the sort of book all children would love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. I have to make the most of it while they are relatively young!

      Delete
  4. Elaine, you are a wonder. I think the pressed flowers are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would that every child had even half as much fun as this lot, Joanne. The plight of so many is terrible.

      Delete
  5. What a magical journal. You have a wonderful imagination. Absolutely the best grandmother!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have fun - just as you do with yours, Linda, but thanks, I try!

      Delete
  6. This is absolutely beautiful Elaine and what a wonderful way to instil your magical moments with your grand children. I wish I had thought of doing this sort of thing when my children were growing up. Still I have my first grand child on the way in November so may be I can take a leaf our of your book and start to make a memory or two going forward especially as I live a 2 hour drive from them. Mine will have to be in photographs as I do not unfortunately have your talent.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting! You may live a two hour drive away, but I'm sure you will have lots of cuddles and fun with your grandchild, when it arrives. They say that it is more fun being a grandparent because we don't have all the day-to-day responsibility of childcare and work - and it is true! We get to have fun and weave a little magic, fill their young lives with love and happy memories. Thanks, Mitzi.

      Delete
  7. You are quite a lovely artist! I love the maps and illustrations. How special to press the flowers, too. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They grow up so quickly, things change and evolve and before we know it they will be off to university - keeping this journal will help remind them of the fun along the way!

      Delete
  8. I find it fascinating and love your style. What fun to look back over the years of adventurous days playing in Owl Wood. You guys are wonderful grand-parents. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more so than you and the retired guy! Your grandchildren are growing up with magical times in your woodlot, Deb. It is such fun to be able to spin tales of magic and love, stimulate their interest in nature, and have fun.

      Delete
  9. What a lovely way to record the delightful days your grandchildren have spent in Owl Wood, and what a wonderful childhood you are helping them enjoy. Making their imagination come alive and Making Real Magic.

    I used to dry wild flowers as a child - have been interested in them ever since I was 6 years old in fact. A lifelong interest.

    What delightful artwork - and GOOD too. You are too modest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take one small woodland, add a few animals and a couple of children, and a kind of magic happens!
      Frankie is 6 years old now and totally fascinated by flowers this year. Each afternoon, after tea, she goes into the gardens to see what new things she can find. The whole journal would be full of flowers, if I let her have her way!

      I hope you are feeling a whole lot better this week.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you. It tells their story, which is what I was aiming for.
      xx

      Delete
  11. Your maps are pure magic! What a wonderful way to conjure up memories, especially as your grandchildren get older. I find that visual stimulation can bring up very vivid memories for me. What a lovely time you are creating for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, Susan. I love old handwritten documents and documents, but I hope that these will please them in lieu of that. I just need to plant the seeds and remind them of that book every so often!

      Delete
  12. You know that is a place a little fairy I know would love to visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All fairies are welcome in Owl Wood, Bill - as long as they bring their Wellies!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.