Pages

Wednesday 27 June 2018

Frugal Sunshade - an old Parachute


The conservatory/sun room faces south, east and west, so summers, such as the one we are enjoying right now, mean that we get a little too much sun in there.    

The glass has been treated so that the UV light is screened out and all the windows are fitted with Venetian blinds, and the ones which open have fly screens, but that still leaves the glass roof.  That room gets hot, no need for us to go abroad for a sunshine holiday!

We should really have roof blinds fitted, but I always wince at the cost - so we came up with a fun and frugal solution - an old parachute!

It cost something like £30.    We simply made one cut along the side of a panel, to open it out, sewed a few tapes to the edges, to correspond with some large cup hooks which we screwed into the window frames - marry them up - and you have a tented and draped sunshade.      

Unconventional, but I love the effect.     


The parachute goes up for the summer and then stays up until September/October, depending on the weather.     

Then we simply take it down, shake it off and store it in the loft until next year.

The chair which you can see in the first photograph is where I normally sit and type my blogs - not this particular post though, grandson no. 1.  is watching an episode of his favourite television programme right now, so I am sitting in the chair which you can just see in the lower right edge of the second photograph, the dog's chair.  (I bet you feel a whole lot better for knowing that!)    


22 comments:

  1. It looks spectacular, and what a great invention! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the change in light levels, herald to the changing of the seasons - it is just as exciting in autumn when we take it down and can suddenly see the stars and the moon in the evenings.

      Delete
  2. You know your place! You're obviously not aloha dog in your own home! But where is Toby? About to come and demand his chair??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha dog, ye gods. I changed that twice and it still came out as aloha instead of alpha. Love the parachute idea! Perfect solution and I love the look. We use old boat sails over one balcony

      Delete
    2. A boat sail sounds wonderful, Linda. I think I remember seeing a photograph of it, a while back. Simple and effective!

      As for me, I come after the ship's cat - and this ship already has two of those. Toby comes last. He had his head resting on the seat of the chair as I typed, big brown eyes looking up at me. You'll be glad to know that I held firm, kept my place in the pack. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Oh, that's a brilliant idea!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. It does the job, and creates a different feel to the room for the summer.

      Delete
  4. Who was the brain who thought up this solution? Incredibly innovative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Initially my husband wanted me to make lots of individual panels for each section of the roof...that was not going to happen, so he came up with this idea. That was about 8 or 9 years ago now.

      Delete
  5. Awesome, what a brilliant idea and recycling for a parachute. Btw you need to look at my blog today, it will make you smile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just been over there, Bill. I really hope you tried some of their wares. We used to live in Hampshire, in fact two of our children were born there. No connection with that farm though.

      Delete
  6. Fabulous idea. My dad would love you. As children, we camped in a tent he fashioned from a parachute. It was orange and white and quite the attention grabber from Atlantic to Pacific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orange and white would certainly stand out - but why not! Actually, it sounds very cheery and great fun. Well done that man!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I cannot take the credit for it, 'twas my husband's bright idea.

      Delete
  8. I only have ONE joke, it is about the bloke who jumps out of an airplane and his parachute fails to open...

    The joke, in our family is my telling of it, remind me to tell you it one day Elaine...

    LX

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delightful room!!!!!

    And an equally delightful solution, to the sun heat problem, in warm months!

    And since this large tv is there, can you use this room, all year?

    Now wondering 'where-abouts' is this room? All I know of your home, is the lovely original kitchen. Somewhere, off of there, maybe? Although I doubt it.

    Oh no! Now you have given me something else, to wonder about! :-))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we can use the room all year round - there is a log burner in there, as well as two radiators - it is one of the rooms off the kitchen, nice and handy. (The tv is a man thing, give me a pile of books any day.) It is another lovely day, weather-wise. I hope your granddaughter is enjoying the sights of Lincoln!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathee S, It does give quite a fun feel to the room, tented and just that little bit different.

      Delete
  11. That is absolutely brilliant! Shade but light enough in color that the room holds it summery-ness!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.