Pages

Wednesday 26 December 2018

Charred Remains and A Pink Rubber Duck


My favourite decorations this year have been those bits and pieces of greenery which I bought in from Owl Wood and the gardens.    Candlesticks had ivy twirled around them, simple but beautiful.  Snippings from the Bay trees were used for wreaths and for tucking into bowls of satsumas, clove pomanders and the like, mantelpieces had boughs of fresh and fragrant greenery placed upon them.  The very simple beeswax candles which I made last year  with my grandchildren burned softly and beautifully.   

The deep red and gold damask tablecloth was a remnant which I bought many years ago for just a couple of pounds.   It has seen many years of festive service and has washed to a soft and silky drape.   The whole 'look' was easy to put together, I scattered a few bits of citrus fruit, a couple of baubles, and some very nice 50p each at a charity shop wine glasses, and I was happy.

Friends dropped by, greetings and gifts were exchanged.    It was all very simple.   Happy grandchildren, happy adults.   Puzzled pets, though they were all happy with the extra treats which were on offer later.


The meal went well - not my kind of meal - but one which made the meat-eaters happy, and that made me happy.     I settled for generous helpings of all the vegetables, along with a dollop of the homemade cranberry sauce (sharp and refreshing, just as I like it) and waited for the cheeseboard.




Nothing fancy this year, I kept it simple.  Only one cheese, oatcakes, grapes, figs and walnuts.   It looked attractive, tasted good and it means that we won't have to work our way through mountains of unwanted cheese.





Gifts were opened, fixed together, played with.  Crackers pulled, party hats worn and corny jokes read out and laughed at.


One of the most successful gifts was that of a pink rubber duck!    It turned out to be something which my lovely daughter-in-law, MM, had long desired!

I also managed to bring tears to the eyes of my daughter's mother-in-law.    My gift to her was a peg doll dressed in fabric from a baby dress which had belonged to our granddaughter, along with a peg soldier which I had painted in a special livery, as directed by our grandson.

As for the charred remains - no, not the Christmas Dinner:     If you are using wooden candlesticks, don't let the candles burn too low or you could find yourself with a problem!

I hope your day went well, too. 

Today is my favourite day, as far as catering is concerned.   Leftovers!
x






16 comments:

  1. Leftovers are the best. Sadly my Christmas dinner is still uncooked in the fridge so I have to wait at least one more day for leftovers. Sorry about the candlesticks but it sounds to have been a very good day. Happy New Boxing Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anticipation is half the fun, so you are having extra helpings of joyful anticipation. It was a really nice day but by early evening I was very glad to be able to curl up with one of my new books - I am not a party animal! Enjoy the rest of your day.

      Delete
  2. 'Nothing fancy this year, I kept it simple'

    Well, it might have been simple to you but it was all looked beautiful to me. You definitely have the knack of creation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie. Unless there is an ivy/bay/rosemary/holly blight, I think I may well stick to this new, natural scheme in future. A tiny bit of glitz, plenty of greenery and a few candles!

      Delete
  3. Never have many leftovers our dinner was enough to do the meal appart from some left for sandwitches at lunchtime. No turkey for us none of us are thatmad on it so it was Beef for a change though will have a chicken today. You will be glad to know my gift was a sucess, my wife loved her Dovecote I made. One little change I did was to made doors in it with smaller holes so makeing it into a large sparrow hotel. I was give a couple of kitted jumpers which look great. All I have to do now is find a place (other than the garage) to put the dovedote. Have a great Boxing Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine how thrilled and delighted she must have been! What a wonderful gift - made with love, so all the more special. I wonder how long it will take for the first sparrows to start checking-in! I love the fact that you both invested a lot of time and love into your gifts. Perfect!

      Delete
  4. Your Christmas day sounded just right. Love the picture of your Daughter-in-law. The simplest prezzies and all the thought that goes into them are the nicest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cooked the main meal, my son made the starters, MingMing made the pudding. Team work. Two teams to do the washing up, one lot in the Boot Room, the other one in the kitchen. I hear that the little pink duck went for a paddle this morning!

      Delete
  5. Very festive and excitement abounding! Your decorating wraps one up in a holiday dream. We had a great dinner here, and being we don't eat meat, it is always understood that if you want meat to eat, then bring it...lol! The critters did enjoy the meat scraps though, so it was a great Christmas for all. Yes, I agree Elaine...left overs...Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you had a great time too, wyomingheart! Wonderful that you didn't have to cook any meat - I wonder how that would go down with my family!
      Later this afternoon I will make Bubble and Squeak from the leftover vegetables and that, served with good old fashioned HP sauce, will be a wonderfully simple meal for my husband and myself. Simple food for simple folk!

      Delete
  6. Errr, did I read that right, you a vegetarian cooked the main course? Or maybe you didn’t trust your kitchen elves? I call that love.

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrestled Mr Turkey into the oven, Lettice. It was slightly more fun than furtling around inside him to check that there was nothing in the cavity. They don't realise how much effort it takes to overcome my abhorrence for such a task!! It must be love.

      Delete
  7. All looks 'simply' lovely. I too am vegetarian and attempted a Turkey once when the in laws came one Christmas - what a palarva - it took up so much oven space compared with my Nut roast and the cat was going frantic all the time! Enjoy the rest of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give me a nut roast every time, much tastier! We are in the lull between visitors, order is restored, and cook is having the rest of the day off. ;) I hope you are enjoying the holiday and reaping the reward for all your beautiful preparations.

      Delete
  8. That sounds a really lovely way to decorate the house for guests, and I'm glad the pink duck was a resounding success too!

    We just had our 3 grown up offspring here, so it was pretty low key and they helped cook the meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds very special, Jennie. Low key and plenty of help in the kitchen - perfection!
      We have one more gathering, this time with my three youngest grandsons, and their parents, as well as the rest of the family - it will be bedlam, but fun. I may need a holiday later!!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.