Pages

Sunday 23 December 2018

Plum Pudding without Plums (Eggs, Butter, Milk or Water)

Searching for the plum...


That catchy little title got my attention as I browsed through one of my older recipe books.

I should have scanned it, but I didn't - apologies.




Anyone who have been reading my blogs (various id's!) over the years already knows about my passion for old recipe books, especially old, handwritten ones.



This one dates from about 1840 and belonged to a cook who lived and worked in a Rectory.




It is in poor condition, has lots of splashes and grease marks, tears, worn edges, loose pages - in other words, it has lived a very useful life.      I treasure it all the more because of the wear.


I followed a few clues within the book and found that it was a country parish, cook certainly had to deal with large hams and gluts of fruit and vegetables.    She also catered enormous Christmas and Easter meals for the village school, as well as the Great and Good of the parish.

Back to this recipe, though.    It is one of the more easily read ones, but just in case you can't make head or tail of the handwriting:

5 tablespoonfuls of Flour, 1 ditto moist sugar, 6 oz of Beef suet chopped very fine. 3 tablespoonfuls of carrot/which must be boiled the day before and mashed very fine/ 1/2 lb Currants and one plum.   Mix all together put it into a tin mould and boil it 3 hours.  Serve with wine sauce.


Shame upon me, I bought our Christmas pudding.  Perhaps I'll make this one next year, but somehow I doubt it, it sounds rather dull.


Whizzing forward through time to the Christmas of 1912, and I have a book in which there is an article about some old Christmas customs and Superstitions.   

Weather Prophecies include A warm Christmas, a cold Easter.       A green Christmas, a white Easter.   and in Nottinghamshire they say 'If ice bears a man before Christmas, it won't bear a mouse after.'    It is said by some weather experts that the twelve days  in this connection following December 25th set the tune for the coming summer, and a curious fact was told me the other day.    The forebears of a Somersetshire farmer had for over a hundred  been in the habit of making notes concerning the weather during these twelve days, and each year the summer proved to be of similar nature to that experienced just after Christmas.       It is also believed that 'a windy Christmas and a cold Candlemas are signs of a good year.'



In Devonshire at Christmas time the burning of the ashton faggot always took place on the eve of the feast, as was a most important ceremonial.   The faggot, which is composed entirely of ash timber, the separate sticks or branches being securely bound together with ash bands is so made that it can be conveniently burned on the hearth, and around it assembled the farmers, with their families and farm labourers, in order to spend a jovial evening.    A quart of cider was called for and served upon the bursting of every hoop or band with which the faggot is bound, and the timber, being green and elastic, a good many quarts were in requisition before the festivities were at an end.





10 comments:

  1. I shall certainly take notes on the weather for the first twelve days after Christmas. I always thought the very best thing about Downtown Abbey was the kitchen and the goings-on there. I hope you have a Merry Christmas and find time to bake something from one of the old cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitchens, and 'Downstairs' are normally much more interesting, I agree. Funnily enough, I do use several of the recipes from this book, Chip. On the photograph of the index, you can see 'Gingerbread Nuts', I often make those during the winter - dark, chewy, spicy ginger biscuits. My husband loves them, they are very fiery. I wish I had a name for this cook but I have been unable to find it, however, she certainly liked ginger as a flavour - and she wasn't afraid to use it in large quantities! Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elaine, it's fascinating to hear how cooks of yesteryear created recipes from just a few ingredients, isn't it? Nowadays, we take things so much for granted, living in a time of plenty. The saying, necessity is the mother of invention, is very true, I think. Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jacqui, That really is one of the most fascinating aspects of these old books. Twenty years ago I would not have believed that I would enjoy reading old recipe books, yet I find them engrossing - not for the recipes, but for the social history...sorry, I am starting to get carried away. Enough!
      It is lovely to see you back. I hope you are feeling more positive now that we have turned through the dark corner of the year. Happy Christmas, Jacqui!

      Delete
  4. That sounds a very frugal pudding (if somewhat bland, though who knows the wine sauce may have had QUITE a kick!) Loved seeing the original writing - definitely a book to treasure. My favourite cookbooks also have splashed and grubby pages with much-loved recipes on them.

    I will make a note of the weather in the 12 days after Christmas too, though I didn't notice it being scorching hot last year!

    I LOVED the Devon custom of burning the ash faggot at Christmas. Coming as I do from generations of ag. labs (some were sailors at Trafalgar too), I know this would have been a familiar tradition to them and lovely to think of them enjoying it in better times - though a couple ended up on the parish . . .

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is definitely the tattiest of all my handwritten ones, it began life as an arithmetic book, used by the daughter of the vicar. She soon abandoned it; there are just a few pages of sums, written with a beautiful hand, fine calligraphy for her name, etc. Then it became cook's book, no mistaking the two sets of handwriting! It is one where the recipes show the progression of each year, it also shows how her handwriting becomes less steady as she becomes older and more prone to illness.

      My intention is to note the weather, no doubt I will get distracted and forget, at some point! I wonder whether it only works for Somerset...

      Wonderful that you know so much about your forebears, did you do the research?

      I hope you have a Happy Christmas and get totally spoiled!

      Delete
  5. Hi Elaine! I, like you, am very taken by the past written words. I often find written notes, and sometimes recipes while researching my old books, but nobody around me finds them as fascinating as I do...lol. Does the book about superstitions have a title or author? Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! A pristine and perfect book has so much less charm than one which has been used and personalised, though fine copies command much higher prices, of course! One of my old books had several cards tucked inside with the handwritten instructions for each of the maids, the cook, etc. which duties they should perform on which day, etc. Priceless, to me! May you have many more fascinating finds, wyomingheart.

      The superstitions were just a small item I found within: Woman at Home, a book I wrote about in June - https://flissandmax.blogspot.com/2018/06/beautiful-lingerie-and-smelly-feet.html The book a beautifully bound collection of a monthly publication, Woman at Home, dating from 1912.

      Merry Christmas!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.