Pages

Friday 28 December 2018

The Dark End of the Year



The cats let me have a lie-in today, which simply mean that they didn't wake me until 5am. 

I stumbled through into the kitchen - fed the cats, let the dog out, put the kettle on, emptied the dishwasher, let the dog in, let the cats out, fed the dog, made a mug of strong coffee...and so on.

I was on my way back to make a second cup of coffee when I became aware of just how messy and gloomy the kitchen was looking.   Admittedly, it was pitch black outside, the curtains were all closed, and I didn't have many lights on, but even so. 

I immediately felt the need to clear the decks, put away the Christmas cloths, the decorations.   I wanted to transform my kitchen back into the light and airy room that I love so much.   Not quite spring cleaning fever, but almost as bad!



These are old photographs, you can tell that because the Rayburn was still in place, plus the photograph was taken in the daylight, which helps! 


I set to work, it wasn't possible to remove all signs of the season, but quite a lot of things have been returned to the loft.   I have my three youngest grandchildren coming to stay tomorrow, three little boys who love to 'investigate' things. 

Today has been spent roasting flesh (pig and chicken) baking bread and cakes, cleaning the house and making it safe, ready for the little ones.

Their visit will nicely fill the gap as we transition between the end of the old year and into the start of a fresh new one.         A big family gathering and another big meal tomorrow, plus a few smaller meals, then I can put my pinny away until next year.     

Thank goodness.



I took Toby out for a reasonable walk this morning, my bruised tailbone still won't permit me to do my usual route march!  We walked out past the watermill, up through Butterbump Splash, then cut across a field, jumped (well, Toby jumped, I splashed through, a small stream, clambered over a few stiles, walked by the side of the chalk stream and arrived at this bridge.     

Parsonage Cottage is located about 150 yards to the left of this bridge, in order to reach it we have to walk through up through the field, all the way up to the houses which  you can see in the distance, out through the field gates, then turn to our left and walk down the lane towards home.

The first house we pass is where my dear friend Oscar used to live, with his old horse, Benedict.  They have both gone now, but they are not forgotten, for they are firmly lodged in my heart and remembered often in our conversations.



Long ago, there was a slaughterhouse to the side, and part of the house became a butcher's shop, later it became a doctor's surgery, before reverting to a smallholding, when Oscar took it over.




The old ramshackle barn still remains, it is where this dear and handsome old boy dozed away his days.    When I took this photograph, I was unaware that the barn owl was in the barn, too.   Just as the camera shutter clicked, he flew out of the door, too fast for me to react to get a photograph, but slowly enough for it to be firmly stamped into my memory.   They were friends.  The owl would perch just a couple of feet above Benedict's head.

On down the lane, past another cottage, then the length of Owl Wood, and home. 

Darkness has crept in around the cottage again.    It is time to prepare supper - is there no end to this cooking nonsense?    Luckily, I made a pot of vegetable soup earlier!   

I will need to take a torch out with me when I walk Toby around Owl Wood, then I can get into a warm pair of pyjamas, make some hot chocolate, and continue reading one of my library books.

I hope you are set to have a pleasant evening, too.
x



24 comments:

  1. I love this post, All nature and warmth.
    You have made me want to go out and get a pair of warm pyjama's. lol
    Health and peace in the new year.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it Briony. Soon be pyjama time! Health and happiness to you!
      x

      Delete
  2. I love reading your posts, Elaine. It is like a visit with an old (in years of friendship lol) friend. Your kitchen is so bright and welcoming. And of course I adore all the cupboards.I'd spend too much time playing in them. ;-)
    Your line "they are both gone now but not forgotten" left a lump in my throat. You must miss them both so much. And your walks are so calming; how I love Owl Wood.
    I want to wish you and your family a peaceful and happy new year. Love to all the furries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, you can come around and organise my cupboards any time, they are crying out for your style. My old friends were a big part of our quiet life in this village, the place goes on without them, but in a slightly less charming way. They were two wonderful characters and we were very fond of them.

      Happiness and health to you and all your family!

      Delete
  3. Its odd how a bit of clutter, [in my case tottering small piles of books and papers] can suddenly strike one as quite unacceptable. Early winter mornings aren't the most cheerful times for contemplating one's surroundings.
    We are living a a camper/caravan through this winter while building a new house. The camper at first seemed spacious and cunningly arranged. Now, after nearly 3 months it feels messy and very confining!
    Your space seems cozy and welcoming, a warm retreat after a chilly and exhilarating walk about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand about the caravan situation, we had a few months of living in one here, while the house was renovated - it began well enough, but goodness were we glad to get out of it!
      The piles of books do have to be removed and sorted, once in a while, but they always reappear. Life without a pile of books just isn't the same. I am constantly carrying books from one end of the house to the other as I research this and that, books from the library, books for a rainy day, books, books, books!
      Health and happiness to you, Morning's Minion, for the New Year.

      Delete
  4. Your kitchen looks so cosy whether with or without the decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I hope you have had the most wonderful birthday!

      Delete
  5. You have such a way of weaving a beautiful story! You have even me missing Oscar and Benedict ! I'm sorry for your loss of them, yet it's awesome that you have shared such great memory of them with us here. I hope the grand-boys don't wear you out, but make a lot of memories and laughter for you. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello wyomingheart, I am worn to a shadow, but in the most delightful way - will be glad of a few quiet days though!
      Oscar and Benedict were very important to us, Oscar made his century and was still driving at the age of 98 years, which was terrifying for everyone around here! He had been a beekeeper for most of his life, and at the age of 96 (or thereabouts) he insisted on climbing up on some scaffolding to collect a swarm, he was a real countryman with wonderful, old fashioned manners and had a great character.
      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry to hear that Benedict is no longer a neighbour, I always liked seeing pictures of him. It's all so very fleeting. Cro x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cro, Lovely to hear from you. Of course, you will remember them as Old John and Arnold the horse (their real names) from my old Pear Tree Log blog - how long ago that seems. I hope you are well.
      Happy New Year.
      x

      Delete
  7. I like your style. Reading your blogs, and especially this one, made me yearn for times past. I just know I would feel at home in your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie, you would be most welcome. It is not grand, but it is comfortable and warm - the kettle is on the hob, just say the word!

      Delete
  8. Lovely post - enjoy the time with your family.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Liz, Family gatherings are enormous fun - but tiring. I will need a couple of days to recoup my energy levels, but it has been wonderful to have all my children, and their children, here with us.

      Delete
  9. I wake at 5am but tend to go back to sleep, way too early. We went off for a wlak to th elocal town today 2 and half miles away, had coffee & a roll then came home. Hard work walking on the roads so back to the fields next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a nice reward for taking the walk. Lanes are fine, especially if they are quiet, but give me fields any day - unless they are knee deep in mud, of course!

      Delete
  10. This house is naturally dark and gloomy, even in high summer, as it faces mostly East. When (if?) we finally move, I want somewhere LIGHT and airy. We shall see.

    Like you, I am keen to pack Christmas away again and began in the kitchen today, taking down the tinsel and the Christmassy hangings over the inglenook. Once Tam's gone home (tomorrow), it is out with the tree which is starting to shed, despite being a Nordman fir.

    Enjoy your cooking - Tam requested a floating lemon sponge today - I found a recipe on t'internet but it wasn't quite the same as the one I used to make so I will have to go through my books for next time.

    I loved hearing about Oscar and Benedict - they remind me of a lovely old gent at Burley in the New Forest, who drove his old horse around the village and was always immaculately turned out. I hope you are having driving fun in Heaven, Burley Bob . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jennie, Sounds like you had a lovely time with your family all being at home, too! I think I am all cooked out now - soup will be about the most adventurous thing I intend to make for the next month - along with some bread-making, of course, but that is purely therapeutic - all that kneading.

      One of our rescue feral cats used to love going up to sit with Benedict, she was quite unafraid of him, and he took care about where he plonked his big hooves, he also got on well with my old dog Toby. He could be quite rough with humans at times, but he was as gentle as could be with my (at that time) baby granddaughter - she was completely smitten with him as he blew his warm and whiskery breath over her bare baby toes.
      A Horsey Heaven must be a marvellous place.

      Delete
  11. Your kitchen looks so cosy and inviting. Like you I would like to take some of 'Christmas' down and pack it away but I will do it gradually, kitchen first. I loved your description of the walk you took with Toby and your memories of Oscar and Benedict:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such fun putting it all together, the anticipation, then it reaches tipping point and it has to go! Best wishes for the New Year, Rosie!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.