Pages

Monday 3 December 2018

"I'll Saw Your Wooden Leg Off"


Most evenings see me more than content to stay at home in the warm, but last night I braved the darkness and went out to the cinema.      Not just any cinema, a very special one called 'The Kinema in the Woods' at Woodhall Spa, which is about half an hour away from Parsonage Cottage.

The Kinema was originally a concert pavilion which overlooked the tennis courts, croquet lawns, gardens and bandstand in hotel and Spa grounds.     In 1922 it was converted to a cinema,  moving pictures being all the rage at that time. 

One quirky little touch was that the posh seats - the first six rows - were deck chairs  and very much in demand at their price of 1/6d, other seats ranged from 1/3d to 6d!   In 1953 the seating was updated and changed.

There are two screens, last night's film 'The Nutcracker and the Four Realms' was shown in the smaller auditorium, which seats about 90 people.     The walls have some very interesting murals of countryside scenes, while the wall lights look like clusters of enormous ice cream cones, great fun and no doubt quite old.

The seating is comfortable, plenty of leg and arm room. 

My big gripe - and this applies to cinemas large and small - is that people these days seem to think that they are going to starve if they don't eat constantly, while slurping down enormous cartons of fizzy drinks and coffees.   

Before the film began the auditorium was filled with the sound of people chomping and munching on gigantic tubs of candyfloss, popcorn and/or enormous bags of sweets.   Chomp, chomp, chomp.   



This was my grandchildren walking ahead of me as we made our way back into the woodland car park.  Dark and mysterious, but well illuminated along the pathways.   They loved the adventure.








It is a charming little cinema in a fabulous setting, not too far from home.   Will definitely be visiting again, as soon as there is something I want to watch.







Other than that, I have been very domesticated, trying to make up for all those weeks when I neglected the house and indulged in craft work.    The pantry - which is as large as a small single bedroom, has had a thorough cleaning and everything has been organised, it looks wonderful at the moment, but it won't take long for those mischievous pixies to start messing it up again.

Today I began work on scrubbing out the Boot Room, which should really be called the Mud Room.  It is the room where Wellington boots, coats and hats reside, so do the white goods.      Dog towels hang on the radiator, they are constantly in use, every walk is a trek through mud, but that can't be helped.     I hose down my Wellingtons, before I come in, but the dog can't be hosed.    Instead i towel him dry, clean his paws as best I can, then time and the warm fireside do the rest.

The cake and biscuit tins have been filled again, the grandchildren are happy.

Tomorrow I should tackle the mountain of ironing, but I also need to do the supermarket shopping, after which I have arranged to have coffee and a chat with a friend, so perhaps the ironing can wait until Wednesday.  One thing for sure, it won't run away.

Talking of which, I was cleaning the bedroom the other day and noticed some fresh wood dust around one leg of a very old tallboy...I investigated, and yes, woodworm.   Little beggars.

The tall boy is now residing in the polytunnel, upside down,  having had some woodworm treatment applied.  I have scanned all around the room and other pieces of furniture, but it seems that only the tallboy was affected, thank goodness.

I'm wondering whether woodworm could have come in with some of the logs which we occasionally burn on the open fire in that room.

I am thankful that I noticed it, it could have been so much worse.

Looking at the tallboy, I couldn't help thinking about a phrase which my father sometimes used to warn us that we were getting a bit unruly.

"Behave yourself or I'll saw your wooden leg off." 


28 comments:

  1. Despite the chomping, it sounded a great night out. You've been a busy bee with all that cleaning xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, Molly, I'll soon be back to my slothful ways! The cinema was a wonderful little outing, I only wish I had 'discovered' it long ago. How did your Christmas Fair go?

      Delete
  2. I've never been to the Kinema in the Woods - I think I'll put it on by 70 X 70 list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy it. Just a word of warning though, the car park surface is gravel. There is a car park in front of the cinema, so you would probably be able to park up there and that is only a very short distance from the building - seats are bookable. (No news yet.)

      Delete
  3. Despite living in Lincolnshire for years we never did visit the Kinema in the Woods. Its wrappers that I find annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really nice, very friendly, little cinema - but oh, those wrappers, etc! I need to work on being more patient.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, you have acquired woodworm (hopefully dealt with totally now) and I have acquired clothes moths in two old fur coats which are now hiding their bald patches in a black bin liner . . .

    The Kinema in the woods must be SO exciting for the grandchildren (and you!) A Proper Adventure!

    Many MANY thanks for your parcel with arrived today - when I opened it I burst into tears when I saw your special little dolls - I guess I am a bit overwrought from being so tired and still poorly. Your kindness came at just the right time and I will have to think of something special to use that beautiful beautiful material for. The peg dolls are now Family Heirlooms : )

    Thank you Elaine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great fun, Jennie.

      I was hoping to cheer you up a little, but I think I failed! Teasing aside, I hope the dolls and fabric 'warmed your cockles', just a little. Really hoping you can manage to have a good sleep, recharge your batteries.

      Pesky pests! I hope your moth problem has been contained - I still keep grabbing my magnifying glass and crawling around the room, checking for activity, pulling out drawers, poking around. It seems strange that it should be so contained.

      Delete
    2. Oh you did cheer me up - I keep picking them up and grinning today, so a good night's sleep has set me back on a less emotional keel. I am going to get another big black storage box to put my spare curtains in to keep the moths away (hoping it's not too late!) and two of late m-in-l's pure wool blankets can go to the charity shop (just in case, at least they will blast them with something).

      Woodworm is normally fairly self-contained unless you ignore the damaged piece for years/it's jammed up against other furniture.

      Delete
    3. Phew! Perhaps I spotted it in time, then. Only the one leg seems badly affected. I hope you have managed to contain the moth problem. Most of all, I hope you are feeling a great deal better now.

      Delete
  5. The Kinema in the Woods sound delightful. I can never understand why people have to eat constantly whether in a cinema or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They chomped away as though they hadn't eaten for a week, Susan.
      The village of Woodhall Spa is an interesting one, as is the story of the Spa around which it grew. I must return, in the daylight, take some photographs and then share the story.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a delightful cinema! And how did you like the film?

    It is very much advertised, but we do not go to the cinema. Hopefully, I'll get the DVD from the library, in not too long. Films used to take forever to come out on DVD. But these days, they come out much sooner.

    I hope you liked it...

    Oh my, thorough cleaning! Haven't done that here, in ages. And have no excuse. *Naughty...*

    Wood worm! Don't know of them. And I guess I should be very happy, that I don't. Poor tall boy!

    Cute old saying!!! Love those "old sayings"!!!!!

    ✨🎄✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The film was very enjoyable - visually delightful, I think you would enjoy it!

      Delete
  7. My MIL would say to my husband, as an "inside joke", "I'll beat you with the bloody stump." Actually, both of them were deceased when I heard the rest of it: "I'll rip off your arm and beat you with the bloody stump." How's that for a revolting end to your charming tale of a night at the cinema.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what the origins of that one are!

      Delete
  8. We have cinima in Wallingford that is the old corn exchange converted in to a theater. Going to see the Nutcracker with my wife tomorrow. Not seen woodworm for a while but something you need to be awair of

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed the Nutcracker film, Bill.

      Delete
  9. Your remark about eating in cinemas reminded me of the time I was required to take a much younger cousin to the cinema and her mother giving me a pack of sandwiches to eat whilst watching the show. Oh happy days! Bad news about the woodworm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pesky woodworm - I am just glad that I noticed it!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a lovely evening out, wonder why everyone gets the munchies at the cinema. Like you been catching up with some of the chores before the decs go up, trouble is the spiders immediately come back to spin more webs and the dust from the log burner settles, sigh! xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was clearing some webs away today - they must have been there for ages, trouble is I can't see them without my specs.

      Delete
  11. Such a good post. I can imagine the sound of all that chomping! Always a few folks that ruin things for others. I just don't know about people now days. You really have been busy! The antique cupboard my cousin gave me that sits on our front porch (it's too big for our house) began getting these tiny tiny holes with little bee like flying bugs, drilling away. I've treated the old cupboard twice and sure hope that has taken care of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your antique cupboard is clear of whatever ails it, Mel, sounds similar to our woodworm problem. I fear that I am becoming a grumpy old woman, I must learn more tolerance, or wear earplugs, perhaps!! I love your festive decorations.

      Delete
  12. Don't you wonder where parents get these sayings? My mother used to encourage us to eat different things because, "it will put hair on your chest." We were all girls and did not want hair on our chests. I have the same problem with going to the cinema. All that chomping and slurping and crackling (and the talking!) I haven't been for a long time and it would have to be a pretty special movie to draw me back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this time of the year I am in danger of going into full hibernation mode - pj's and cocoa are much more my style, Susan. 'Eat your crusts, they will make your hair curl.' was another one, I wonder whether that is why I developed such a fondness for the crusty part of bread loaves. Did you develop a hairy chest, or were you picky? ;)

      Delete
  13. These little old cinemas are the best - we have two local old ones near here in Yorkshire and near our cottage in Scotland there are still a few and a travelling one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A travelling one sounds fun! The watermill near us has had a heated marquee erected so that they can show a few Christmas films over the next couple of weeks, that sounds like fun, as long as the weather isn't too awful.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.