Pages

Wednesday 30 January 2019

Powder Puffs and Catkins


As I drove into Lincoln seven of the Red Arrows were zooming through
the skies in a large 'V' formation.
Spectacular.
Lincoln Cathedral was their backdrop.
Fabulous start to the day!

The day has been cold, with an icy, biting wind.
Cold or not, dogs need their walks.   
Wrap up well, don thick socks, sensible footwear, gloves and a scarf.


Up the lanes, down the hill, past the little church, down by the old farm,
then along the river bank.





Cold, but dry.


Better than elsewhere, at least we don't have snow.











Good clean air and a bit of exercise
beautiful scenery
interesting buildings.

I enjoyed the walk, and so did Toby.

Home again.


A quick rub down with a towel
one dog biscuit
and a snooze for him,

a cup of tea and a browse through this book, for me.






Published in 1938, it was written by a man,
under the pseudonym of  'Aunt Kate'.

It is dated, tooth-achingly 'nice', but interesting.

One page for every day of the year.
A handy hint, a recipe, and a word of cheer.
All written as WWII was approaching.

Think 'Brief Encounter'.


Train Journey Tips

A very important article on a train journey is your ticket, 
use a handbag that provides a little compartment where you can put your ticket 
without fear of whisking it out with your powder puff.
Wear an invisible net over your hair to preserve its set on a railway journey.
Use a much heavier foundation or powder base than usual
to protect your skin from dust and dirt.
Carry a thick wad of cotton wool and a bottle of complexion milk.
The milk will clean up your skin and leave it as fresh as after a thorough wash-up.
If you are addicted(?) to headaches when travelling by train
carry frozen eau de cologne or lavender water.



Here is a cheery little note about Spring.

It is too soon to talk of springtime yet.
Before the bright and sunny days are with us there must be cruel days - cold and harsh.
But we are travelling towards the spring.
That unfailing process of revival is beginning.
Take courage.
Below the cold ground, under the sodden leaf, within the branch which seems so dead,
life is moving.
The days grow longer, the nights grow shorter.
January is done, and February is almost with us.
The spring will come and with all its singing birds
and we shall be glad!


How true this is.

I have spent a lot of time, this last week, working in Owl Wood, spring cleaning the woodland floor of all the branches and sticks which have fallen during the last few months.      Sounds easy, but it takes a lot of time and effort.





This foreground of this photograph shows what I have collected, it may help if I tell you that that heap of sticks and branches is between five and six feet high,all hauled up to an area where they can be crunched up to make some wonderful wood chip for the pathways and gardens.    Recycling.













The woodland floor is coming to life.   There are snowdrops everywhere, the early signs of the bluebells to come
and, most excitingly, the very earliest signs of the wild garlic!  Tiny, thread-like green strands, pinch them between your fingers and the smell of garlic is already in them.


One of the reasons I wanted to get the woodland floor cleaned up and ready, was so that I could watch the garlic grow, without danger of damaging plants by dragging fallen branches through them.



Spring is just around the corner.    All the trees and shrubs are preparing themselves.    It will happen.

Stay warm, stay safe, stay cheerful.
x

18 comments:

  1. I was going to say that no aunt of mine ever looked like that - but, when you said it was written by a man, it all made sense. Heavens. There is nothing quite as refreshing and rejuvenating as a walk in nature with your best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your woods will be lovely in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think of February as pre spring rather than Winter and as all these things are springing into life in your owl wood it must be true.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lucky to have alittle wood of your own. I had a quick walk along the river today. photos will be shown in the future. Bref Encounter Celia Johnson is buried in a church a few miles from where I live

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first paragraph.... ???? What am I missing? A picture, maybe? What are the red arrows? Etc.

    Cleaning up fallen branches, and etc., means lots of bending... Which can play havoc, with one's back. Do hope you won't "pay" for all the good work you did...

    It is so unbelievable, seeing the signs of spring, which you in the UK, are seeing and posting. Since we are buried under snow, ice, snow. But this is our weather. And you have yours.

    Interesting, that such a book, was written by a man. {Would the author's name, explain why...?} I know, I should blush, for writing that!!!!! ,-)

    Thank you for taking me on your walk. No way, will we be walking here, today! Ice, ice, ice... And snow covering ice.

    ✨ ❄ ✨ ❈ ✨

    ReplyDelete
  6. Addition:

    My "wise" sentence, was in no way, a judgement on the author!!!!! I just couldn't but notice his "name." And wonder if it was a pen-name... And if ... Oh well, I'll leave it, at that.

    Just saying, I am not judging!!!!!!

    ✨ ❄ ✨ ❈ ✨

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness, I can only imagine the amazing sight of the red arrows flying with Lincoln Cathedral as a backdrop...stunning!
    What a great job you are doing clearing the wood floor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I woke to below zero temps this morning, and remembered a conversation I had yesterday, that our trees and bulbs must be in pig heaven, having a real winter this year. It was a little warmer yesterday. Spring cleanup, even in my little garden, is much. I hope when I move away it will still be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was watching the Red Arrows yesterday from the garden, I see they have just increased their number from five to seven. An amazing sight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the description of your wood and walk. Quite a lot of cleaning! Owl Wood will be wonderful in spring. Haven't seen any sign of it here. No snowdrops or even buds. It's time to fiercely prune roses and grape vines

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so envious of your Household Companion - I collect similar books and find them fascinating. We did part of the floor of our little wood at the cottage last year and cleared mounds of Ivy that had taken over when Scottish Power cut down some trees and let far too much light in. It is amazing where all the little branches and sticks come from but like you say they make excellent shredding for the paths.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely signs of spring and the Red Arrows as well. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the little note about spring. Keeps me busy picking up sticks and twigs that fall. We have had lots of high winds lately. You are right about it taking a lot of time and effort.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, those snow drops are simply perfect... I must research them to see if they will grow here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you staying warm, staying safe and staying cheerful, I idly wonder Elaine?

    I miss reading your blog posts, is all well in your world?

    LXX

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.