Pages

Saturday 7 December 2019

Frumetty, Frummenty, Frumettie, Firmetty & Furmenty

Every year I try to eat slightly more frugally throughout the first few weeks of December, and by that I mean consume slightly less food than normal.     It works for me, although I do know that other people think "what the heck..." and decide to eat what like through December and make January the time for a fresh start, and that works, too.   

I prefer to regard the Christmas feasting, as a reward for being 'good'(ish!).

Why am I telling you this?   To set my food experiment into context.    I knew that I wanted to try cooking some of the many variations on Lincolnshire foods - and goodness knows that there are lots to choose from:

Lincolnshire Cheeses  (Stamford and Gainsborough used to hold Cheese Fairs)
Lincolnshire Plum Bread - Yeasted and Non-Yeasted
Lincolnshire Rich Plum Bread & also Plum Puddings
Lincolnshire Ginger Bread
Lincolnshire Curd Cheese Cakes and Cream Cheese
Lincolnshire Stuffed Chine
Lincolnshire Sausages
Lincolnshire Hazelets/Haslets/Haselets
Lincoln Monkey
and let us not forget the mighty
Lincolnshire Pork Pie.

Henry VIII may have had a low regard for Lincolnshire, which I believe he once described as 'the most brute and beastly of the whole realm', or words to that effect.   But what did he know of this glorious county and our local dishes.

Of course I wanted something to fit in with my sensible eating, but also something I could have a bit of fun with.    Plum bread, Gingerbread and Lincoln monkey would have been fun, but very calorific.   I settled on Frumetty, Frumenty, Frumettie, Firmetty, Fermety, Furmenty, Furmety - or however you wish to spell it, I have come across all of these, and more.

The basic dish remains the same though.   It has been eaten since man cultivated grains.   Some make it with wheat, others with barley, while some recipes call for groats or pin head oats.    There are poorman's versions, rich ones, creamy ones and special festive recipes (which I will make nearer to Christmas). 

It was once sold by stall holders at country fairs and the basic recipe remains very much like the pottage which the Roman soldiers made over their camp fires.   In the Lincolnshire Wolds it was traditionally eaten at sheepshearing time, at harvest time, and was also a traditional Christmas Eve dish.

It is, in essence, a kind of porridge.   Now porridge is something which I do eat almost every day.   So with a little bit of planning I can try out the many variations on a theme which my old recipes books have to offer - and I can eat them without any sense that I am over indulging before the official feasting begins.

Perfect!



The first problem I hit was that I didn't have any whole wheat grains in the pantry.   Never mind, I did have barley, so I made Barley Pudding instead.    It was so delicious that my husband pinched most of it, and he had been pretty scathing about my experiment to begin with!

Barley Pudding

2 tbsp pearl barley plus water to cree*
1 pint milk
Honey or Sugar if you want sweetness
A knob of butter if you want to make it slightly richer (I didn't)

Cree the barley in water until soft - approx 2 hours - you can drain off any surplus water to make barley water, if liked.    Put the barley into a saucepan, or your slow-cooker, with sugar, butter, milk and cook very gently for about an hour.   



To *Cree:  Cook the wheat/barley in water in a slow oven for several hours or overnight - I used my slow cooker on a low setting - until it more or less forms a jelly.



17 comments:

  1. Oooh, shades of Thomas Hardy with your Frumenty (and variations) only nothing in yours from the bottle under the table as in The Mayor of Casterbridge. I shall have to forgo this treat as milk and I no longer see eye to eye.

    Now Lincoln Monkey sounds unusual - can you share the recipe even if you don't make it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello BB, I can see that we are rather like Jack Spratt and his wife - no milk for you, no alcohol for me, but betwixt ourselves we'll lick the platter clean. Even very basic frumenty is excellent for this time of year.

      I made Lincoln Monkey today - more of that in another post though.

      Delete
  2. Stuffed chine, plum bread, sausage, and haslet are all essential to Christmas in this Yellow Belly household. Mum never stuffed chine but she made all the rest when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many wonderful dishes to choose from - when I was a meat-eater I used to love haslet, faggots, Lincolnshire sausage, etc. Easy to tell that the pig was the animal of choice in the county. One of my old-ish local recipe books is the Lincoln Cathedral Cookery book, I think it was published around 1980, probably as a fund raiser.

      Delete
  3. That sounds intriguing. And now I shall go and Google Lincoln Monkey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post the recipe, Sue. I promise you are not missing out on anything special.

      Delete
  4. What a delightful treasure trove of words I have never heard of and dishes new to me. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed it, I am certainly having fun exploring the books and the recipes.

      Delete
  5. Hummm... Sounds interesting! What is the purpose of saving the barley water, can you use it for cooking something else? Thanks for posting the recipe, I think I'm gonna try it!! I eat oatmeal all the time so looking for something different.
    Cheers, Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect the barley water was saved and then made into Lemon Barley Water, a refreshing drink. Frumenty is one of those recipes which fits very easily into my way of eating, even my husband is enjoying it.

      Delete
  6. Sounds nice like another variation of Rice Pudding. You lost me with creeing, one version says put in water for 2 hours the other cook overnight. Maybe I'm being dumb and not understanding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to remember that these recipes are pulled from many different books, so terminology will vary from cook to cook and it will also vary according to which grain is being used - so no, you are not being dumb. It is fairly like rice pudding, although some of the richer variations end up tasting like Plum Pudding.

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a perfect breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is totally delicious, Joanne. Mind you, so is plain and ordinary porridge/oatmeal!

      Delete
  8. I'm going to have to make this! It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kathie J - please do! The simple recipes are very good, the richer and more festive ones are delicious and feel very indulgent.

      Delete
  9. Hello Laurie - and 'Thank you!' I am having so much fun exploring some of the many variations on the theme of frumenty, surely one of the oldest and most basic dishes which can be turned into a feast for special occasions. Lovely to meet you.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.