Pages

Tuesday 31 December 2019

The End of the Old Year

Weather lore:
"If on New Year's Eve the wind blows south
It betokens warmth and growth
If west, much milk and fish in the sea
If North, much cold and storms will be
If East the trees will bear much fruit
If North-East flee (from) it man and brute"

No wind today in Owl Wood, so we can't tell what is to come.



"Dry January, plenty of wine
A wet January, a wet Spring"

Apparently this one dates from medieval times, when there were many more vineyards in England.


"A warm January, a cold May"

We shall see.


1 January - Weather Lore

"Morning red, foul weather and great need"

"The first three days of January rule the coming three months"

Time will tell.



I can't deny that I will be happy to wave farewell to this year.       I don't want to begin a pity party, the saga is not mine to share, so I won't go into details; it is enough to say that it has not been a good year. 

I don't stay up to celebrate, I did plenty of that when I was young, these days it is just another night - early to bed, early to rise.   The animals make sure of the early to rise bit.

If you do stay up then I hope you have a great time as you see the old year out and usher the new one in and I hope that the New Year is a good one for you, and those you hold dear. 

Thank you for taking the time to read, for all your comments, the blog friendships.   All truly appreciated!

Wishing you all "Health, Wealth, and Happiness throughout the New Year".


For anyone who plans to party hard:   "Hang a piece of ivy over the bed tonight, so that the first thing you see upon waking, is green.   Green ivy is symbolic of everlasting life and will guard against drunkeness."  

Good luck!


13 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post. Hope I can remember some of those sayings about the weather. Well, I hope the new year will bring you lots more happiness than you had in this year. Ww don't stay up late any more either. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the first, the direction of the winds... But really wonder why, if the wind blows "...North-East flee (from) it man and brute." Mercy! That sounds serious!!!!

    The January 1st "Morning red, foul weather and great need" rings the same as "Red moon in the morning, sailors take warning.."

    I am sorry that this past year, has not been kind. As always, none of us really know what goes on, in the lives of bloggers, we follow. Not unless they write a true Dear Diary type of blog. And those are few and far between. -smile-

    Certainly wish for you, and for all of us, that this coming year, is peaceful, and quiet, and joyous, and healthy.

    With gentle hugs...

    🌲🎄🌲





    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a better year with health and happiness at its heart.
    Thank you for writing. I enjoy it immensely. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good health is the most important and I wish you lots of that.
    We have sunshine today and another winter storm coming in tomorrow. If those predictions are true we are in for a good greek winter. Cold, wet and then sunshine to dry us out and cheer us up. I can take that.
    Loved reading yr weather lore. Loads of such sayings here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all those quotes of old. I think the wind was a south westerly here yesterday, it was certainly a rare sunny day with not a cloud to be seen. I too am glad that 2019 is over, like you it is not mine to share. Lets hope 2020 is an improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your words 'time will tell' - with our climate change who knows!
    Have a wonderful year - mine too had moments I would rather not dwell on - so I hoping 2020 will prove be a better year.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year to you. No late night stay up for us either. We watched an old movie after returning from the talent show - Dan sang with his guitar and I was the Emcee. It was fun. Now time to take down the decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your good wishes, I wish us all a peaceful and happy new year and I really hope it is more positive than the last one.
    I love the old weather predictors, I have a little book called The Weather Calendar by Mrs Henry Head and it is full of lovely historical notes about the weather from people such as Pepys,Swift and Walpole.
    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a much happier year Elaine... a new decade. Just trying to think where I was for each new decade, quite an interesting thought, some good some not so. A reflection on an average life I suppose? Wishing you the very best happiness and health.

    LXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so thrilled and delighted to discover you have returned. You have been missed! Thank you. Wishing you a much better 2020.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.