Pages

Sunday 22 December 2019

Habit, Confusion & Old Books


On a couple of occasions just recently I have found myself going to search a document for a particular word or phrase by using Ctrl+f, only to realise that I am not on the computer but reading through an old book...   

About an hour and a half ago the power went off, we were plunged into darkness, apart from a small string of battery operated fairly lights and the log burner.     I discovered that my habit of walking through the house in the darkness of the night stood me in good stead, I was able to make my way through to the Boot Room and the pantry to gather up the battery lamp, candles, etc.   

A quick scout around outside showed me that the rest of the village was also without electricity.    The power company assured me that they were aware of the power cut and engineers were on the way.   So we settled down to watch the flames flickering, listened to some old 50's/60's music and enjoyed the experience.   

The longest night made extra dark, for a while.   It makes you realise how much we depend upon electricity, how much of a habit it has become for the hand to reach for a light switch, or to flick the kettle on.

Baking day tomorrow so I hope we don't have any more outages.   






12 comments:

  1. Quite nice to sit by candle light for a while but I hope you get your power back soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was off for about an hour and a half, not too bad. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. And for all we may complain, how fortunate we are to have ready and steady power, and prompt attention to the usual outages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This funny little village has a lot of electrical problems Joanne, luckily this one didn't last too long. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  3. Power outages do make us realise our dependancy don't they, from what I read they are likely to become more common. It is however lovely to sit by candlelight, provided you can see to do what you want to do!

    Hope you get your baking done without any problems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very peaceful indeed, most enjoyable - I may have felt differently had it happened at another time. The baking was constantly interrupted, but as that was the only thing I had really planned to do that day, I just decided to go with the flow. Everything got done eventually.

      Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  4. Not had one of those in a while but youare right we take it for granted

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it so quiet when the power is off. No fridge hum, no TV. I don't like that complete darkness though. Glad you found your candles easily. I have ours in a place I can also put my hands on in the pitch black, though hubby has now put up a light system which comes on when the electricity goes, which happens often here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those years of midnight walks paid off, Linda! We don't have quite as many outages as we used to have, but we still make sure that we are prepared. I like the sound of your emergency light system, clever husband!
      Merry Christmas Linda!

      Delete
  6. What were you listening to the music on... an old windup gramophone record player? If that was the case I am impressed...

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have an old windup gramophone in the kitchen, we also have lots of old 78's to play on it, but on this occasion we listened to the battery radio. It made a pleasant change.
      Merry Christmas & love to beautiful Ellie.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.