Pages

Wednesday 7 March 2018

Free Fuel and Wine


Now that the winds have died down, the snow has melted, and the temperatures have risen,  I keep finding more and more excuses to spend time in Owl Wood.      Time which should be spent on  housework, but it feels good to be working outdoors.

The woodpecker is constantly busy, tap-tap-tapping.    I think I caught sight of him this morning, but I could be mistaken.    I shall try the old trick of tapping a stick on a hollow tree, see whether he responds to warn me off his territory!

The snowdrops are a bit droopy now but there are primroses aplenty, plus the early signs of bluebells and wild garlic, as well as daffodils. 

Perhaps loveliest of all,  are the fungi.    I have no idea what they are, other than the fact that I think they are very beautiful and very colourful- I am never tempted to gather them for food!




A very beautiful snail shell.




The air is filled with multi-layers birdsong and there is a lot of flirting going on.   Nest boxes are being scrutinised and assessed, jackdaws have once again taken possession of the owl box




blue tits have already taken possession of this one.



I haven't had enough time to observe the other boxes, time will tell.   

I can while away lots of time just looking and listening, but the main reason I was there was to get picking up some of the countless branches and twigs which are scattered on the woodland floor.   

One of the most enjoyable aspects about gathering this fallen wood is that it was a traditional occupation.  Fuel being one of the most important materials available from the wild,  to heat the home and cook food.

Lest you have visions of me staggering home with a great bundle of sticks tied to my back - sorry.  I make big heaps of sticks, get my wheel barrow and trundle them to 'the wood yard' where it will be cut down to suitable size.

I also draw the line at collecting cow pats which were known as cow cassons from the meadows.     Somewhere I read that children were paid 3d a day for collecting cow dung which was later dried and used for fuel by the farmer.

A few years ago we tapped a silver birch tree for some of the spring sap - March is the perfect month for that - and made wine from it.     It was excellent.    Those days have long gone, my body can no longer tolerate even a glass of alcohol, unless I am prepared to endure three days of nausea, sight problems and migraine.   I'm not.

Done correctly, and the hole sealed afterwards, this process of tapping the birch tree for sap does not do any harm to the tree at all.


Over on the pond I can hear the sound of a duck who appears to be laughing at a filthy joke, though in reality he is probably shouting at the goose which has just crash landed with an almighty splash, a proper belly flop.

Now I must head outside again, rain is forecast for later.
x




14 comments:

  1. The first fungus looks like a Jew's Ear, although they are normally brown. Witch's Butter is the only black one I know.

    I have been picking up twigs and small branches thrown down by Storm Emma, and it all helps towards the kindling next winter.

    I remember drinking Birch Sap wine at the pub where I met my husband. It would have been nicer if it wasn't so sweet and syrupy but all the fruit type wines they stocked were over-sweet. Home made stuff is probably much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just been walking in the ancient woodland nearby - there are some fascinating fungi there. One tree had what looked like a big black horse hoof protruding from it, another had an enormous beige, white and orange 'seashell'. Sounds like I need to mug up on fungi, they are very beautiful.

    I was also lucky enough to come within three feet of a hare, we looked at one another for a brief moment and then he ran. Handsome creature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure I would want to eat any of that fungus might end up being sick. We still have snow on the ground here in Wales and the large lake is still frozen but we are nice & warm in the caravan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all sounds wonderful, is your van winterised?

      Delete
  4. It's a wonderful time when all is coming to life. I have awhile to wait before I will see any growth in our wood-lot as we were presented with a blanket of snow again through the night. It won't stay, though. Lovely to see the boxes filling up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently we may get a short blast of snow tomorrow morning - it had better be a short one though! The birds will soon be queuing up to get into your boxes - they come with the best rations around, so they say!

      Delete
  5. I was remarking to my husband yesterday that the woods around here are not cleared of the downed wood because people don't use wood for fuel much anymore. We had a walk in the winter woods yesterday. Must get the photos loaded into a posting to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always surprising just how much wood comes down during windy weather, Marcia. I always gather it up because our grandchildren race and romp around there. I look forward to seeing the photographs.

      Delete
  6. Elaine,

    I just wanted to comment on how much I enjoy your posts.

    We live in northern Indiana, U.S.A., so your growing season is well ahead of ours.

    We, too, use wood for fuel -- cooking, heating, and domestic hot water. I find the downed material on the ground to be too wet and, usually, too rotten to be of much value. Standing dead trees work better for us. I hope the branches and sticks you gather are more rot-resistant, and your notable efforts well rewarded.

    Thank you for your excellent, interesting blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brett, Thank you so much. I'm glad you enjoy the posts. I really needed that lovely comment today.

      The sticks are absolutely fine, they burn really well in the log burner, but they were only brought down by Storm Emma, a few days ago.

      I must go and do a little reading on Northern Indiana, I am woefully ignorant.

      Delete
    2. Elaine,

      If you don't know all about northern Indiana, that doesn't make you ignorant! Goodness!

      I have been to England a number of times on business, but I had to look up Lincolnshire to learn where you live. So, I have better claim on the label, "ignorant."

      I know you have a Rayburn, and I THINK you burn wood in that. Is your "log burner" the "open fire in our master bedroom" you mention in your January 13, 2016 blog post? I am afraid "log burner," as an apparatus, is not well defined in my American dialect (just another indication of my ignorance).

      We are receiving regular snows these days. Not much accumulation, but there is a blanket covering everything this morning. The forecast is for slightly sub-freezing high temperatures, today. It will be a while before even peas can be planted. I started some celeriac and tomato seeds in pots (indoors), yesterday. It is nice to feel like I am preparing for spring.

      I hope it is growing warm and spring-like at Owl Wood.

      Delete
    3. Hello Brett, Owl Wood is cold and frosty this morning, but the sky is blue and we may see some sunshine.
      We enter Owl Wood from our vegetable garden and the only things growing there are the leeks and winter cabbage though i'm sure the weeds will soon be growing in abundance. Sounds like you are getting nicely into the swing of the new growing season.
      The Rayburn is multi-fuel, so it burns coal and wood, although we burn mostly wood on it. The log/wood burner is really just a small stove which kicks out lots of heat, then in the master bedroom we have an open fire. Not a lot goes to waste from our little woodland!
      Here's hoping that milder weather comes to your part of the world.

      Delete
  7. -happy sigh- What beautiful photos, and what a beautiful wander.

    Best of luck with truly sighting the elusive woodpecker.

    You have no idea how lovely this post is, to me. Who is sitting here, with snow falling heavily again, outside my windows. -sigh- Having had to cancel an appointment. -sigh-

    Yes, I am very, very tired of all this snow, by now.

    Please keep taking me to Owl Wood! I do appreciate it so.

    Hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you wow! Sorry about the snow and your altered arrangements. Hold on tight, it won't be long - spring will soon be with you.
    The last few remnants of our snow are being washed away by rain, more snow is forecast for tomorrow but it should be an hour or two at most.
    I am heading off along the coast tomorrow, to the seaside town where we lived for about 16 years. It will be fun visiting some old haunts and doing a few errands, though I expect it will be even nicer to come home!
    Keep warm, melt that snow!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.