Pages

Friday 30 March 2018

Back to Horncastle



A few days ago we headed for the small market town of Horncastle - for centuries this town was known for the annual horse fair but nowadays it is known for being a centre for antiques businesses.

I wasn't there to amble around antique shops, fun though that is, I was heading to see my chiropractor.


I had spent the weekend in pain, not just a niggling pain, full-on pain of the kind which wouldn't go away.   I couldn't stand for more than a few minutes, sitting was equally painful and as for lying down, forget it.    I was in perpetual painful motion.   Ice packs, hot packs, warm baths, painkillers - nothing took more than the edge off the pain and that only very briefly. 

You don't want to know about the journey in the car. 

The photograph of the stile gives you some idea of how 'unfriendly' a few farmers are towards walkers.    On one of my long walks I encountered a couple of difficult stiles which had been fully decorated with elevated strands of barbed wire.   I am generally pretty fit and fairly agile, but I am not 20 years old.  I am in my mid sixties.   I struggled.   I got over the stiles, but I injured my back.

A visit to the chiropractor gave me about an hour of pain relief, then the pain came flooding back, with bells on.   It was worse than ever.      The adjustments and massage had triggered even more of a flare-up of the muscles and nerves.      She assured me that it should settle down in two or three days.

During that time I haven't visited any blogs, read any books, or done anything more than deal with the pain.    I have lost almost half a stone, because I couldn't eat, didn't feel like eating, it was enough just dealing with the pain.        The fact that I am here typing this post tells me that I have turned the corner. 



These are old photographs of Horncastle, taken three or four years ago. 



Yesterday I made some hot cross buns, using my food mixer.   I just marked them with the sign of the cross as I too tired to make the paste ones.

It is so good to be getting a little normality back.

Our two London grandsons aged 15 months and 4 years are coming this weekend.   I won't be able to pick them up but at least I can give them some hugs on my lap and watch them as they race around Owl Wood on their Easter Egg Hunt.

Enjoy the long weekend.

ps   Apologies to anyone who has left comments recently.   I will catch up on writing my replies, though it may take a few days. 

23 comments:

  1. Ouch and treble ouch, that sounds horrific. I do hope that it will settle and repair as soon as possible. Take it gently

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. It was wonderful to wake up almost free from pain this morning; my back aches again now, but I can cope with 'normal' pain levels.

      Delete
  2. That sounds dreadful. I hope you are soon fighting fit again. I go to Horncastle to potter and lovely pottering it is too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Frugally Challenged, Thank you, I am my own worst enemy! It is the perfect place for a potter about, so steeped in history, visually very pleasing too.

      Delete
  3. Heavens, your ordeal was horrendous. Thank goodness you feel a little better. Your hot cross buns look wonderful. I'm going to make some today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, This morning I felt great, did too much, of course. when will I learn? Enjoy your hot cross buns, as a side benefit the kitchen will smell fabulous and spicy.

      Delete
  4. I can really sympathise with back pains, pleased to hear it is easing. Oh....Horncastle...takes me back to buying our first table, rocking chair and mirror, in the old warehouse on the edge of the water, almost 40 year ago. Gulp!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bev, Thank you! I almost posted a photograph of an old waterside warehouse antique shop this morning - probably the same one. Where do the years go? It is still a beautiful little town.

      Delete
  5. Elaine,

    I am dreadfully sorry for your ordeal. But welcome back! I sincerely hope you not only turn the corner, but make it all the way around it to full health, soon.

    Antique shopping sounds wonderful. Perhaps you can make another trip, later, for that purpose.

    Enjoy your family this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Brett, Thank you for your good wishes. I have done a little bit too much this morning so I am heading off for a rest shortly.
      The antique shops are many and varied - smart ones through to really dusty cluttered ones and everything in between. It will be wonderful to have all our grandchildren in the same place for an Easter Egg Hunt.

      Delete
  6. I don't think there is a much worse pain than back pain. I am so glad you are feeling better. And there is no mistaking the hostile message left on that stile. Maybe you should carry some wire cutters on your next ramble...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan, Most of the local farmers are pretty fair about public footpaths and rights of way. This stile was on a farm about three or four miles away and not on one of my regular routes. I already carry bramble snippers with me, having had problems with overgrown pathways, but I wasn't expecting barbed wire!

      Delete
  7. Oh my Dear! I had a feeling, that you were sick. With no posting. -sigh-

    I certainly hope that you are on them mend, in whatever way, that has to be.

    I have been dealing with "an issue" too, but yours, is much worse, than mine.

    Please! Do not do anything, which will slow your recovery, this weekend! It will not be worth it. Please.

    Lovely photos, of a lovely old town.

    Do rest and get better.

    Lots of hugggggsssssssssss....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Luna, Sorry to hear that you are having to deal with an issue, i hope that whatever it may be, it is fully resolved and quickly! I admit that feeling free of pain this morning, I did a bit too much. A couple of hours of pain have shown me that I need to really slow down for a bit. :( The good news is that after a rest, a warm bath and some high strength pain relief gel, I feel much better again. Another time I will visit Horncastle with my camera, it really is rather lovely.
      Thank you for the hugs, much appreciated.

      Delete
  8. Hello there,
    It's my first time commenting. I am so sorry to hear about your back. My husband used to suffer terribly until he discovered "Bowen therapy"
    He has never looked back. It's not cheap but it does work. Maybe worth a try, if there's a practitioner near you. All good wishes.
    Christina. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Christina, Welcome! Thank you for the information - I've just had a quick read about Bowen Therapy and it does sound very interesting. Certainly an avenue worth exploring, there is a practitioner not too far away. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Surely it must be illegal as the stile is part of a right of way. Can you not report this to someone? Your local Ramblers group could help maybe. It is appalling that you injured your back trying to avoid the barbed wire. I hope it improves soon. Have a wonderful Easter with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Catherine, Thanks for your good wishes. At the moment I am still dealing with lots of backache, though the raw pain has receded, but I'll certainly be trying to get the obstruction dealt with. We have all our grandchildren coming today, it will be noisy but fun. I hope you have a lovely Easter.

      Delete
  10. My husband says there is usually a footpaths officer at the local council that you can report this to. You should threaten to sue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering what happened to you since you had been blogging so regularly. No fun to be filled with pain like that. Take care of yourself.
    In Strasbourg, France today on cruise. Taking it slow today because dinner did not agree with me in the night. Dan went on bike tour and after his return and lunch we’ll go back to town center together. Ship is docked in major port. Watching strange cranes load boxcars on barges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marcia, Thank you. I hope that you are now in fine fettle and enjoying your holiday again. lots of wonderful photograph opportunities, I imagine. Have a wonderful time.

      Delete
  12. You need to take photo of the offending stile and where it is, then report it to the county council. Foot paths are supposed to be kept clear for people to walk in. You could also report it to the ramblers association. Camera have no right to do that. Glad to hear your on the mend. The buns look yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bill, I'll definitely be taking some action to get the problem fixed, once I am a bit more mobile. A friend and her husband used to check on all the local pathways, chivvying farmers, etc. Unfortunately they moved away a couple of years ago. I now fully appreciate all that they did. Have a lovely Easter.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.