Pages

Monday 2 April 2018

The Pleasures...

...of midsummer rain are one thing, but this cold, drenching, never-ending wintery rain is something else.

Grey skies, bitterly cold rain drenching and chilling for both mind and body.   Again.      I know that spring is there, the flowers and the buds on the trees tell me so.    She is coiled up, waiting to leap out and surprise us, if only winter would slip away and leave her to it.

It still feels like the 'rough old month' of March.

The pathways in Owl Wood are squelchy,  the birds are silent, heavy rain is falling.   

Yesterday we had a small reprieve,    only light rain, dark skies and deep, deep cold.     Our grandchildren were not daunted, they clamoured for their Easter Egg Hunt.   It is only a simple affair, involving individual maps, routes and eggs, but the grandchildren get very enthusiastic about it.


Heading off to the far side of Owl Wood

I should have taken some arty photographs of baskets filled with chocolate eggs but I didn't. 


Owl Wood is the furthest I have walked recently, perhaps not a bad thing because it means that I have taken the time to notice the small changes as we limp towards to spring.     

On the surface it looks a dull and dismal place, lifeless, but hazel leaves are beginning to unfurl, the wild garlic has spread, violets are blooming, along with the primroses and daffodils.     It is full of  life forces being held in check by the cold but ready to break out into a gallop at any moment.

I have been endlessly entertained by the increasingly frantic housekeeping and springcleaning activities of the noisy Jackdaws.      They fly out to select suitable sticks to line their home.   

Sometimes they make a miscalculation and the stick they have so carefully selected proves to be a bit too long to go through the entrance to the box.    They try this way and that, fly off with it, have a think and then try it again, eventually managing to get the stick in, but leaving another foot of stick poking out the hole.

When I returned a couple of hours later, all was as it should be, no sign of the stick and I idly wonder which one tidied things up.




Time I headed off and got this Bank Holiday Monday started properly, I have a few things to do before the next batch of visitors arrive.   

I hope that your Monday is a lovely one.






13 comments:

  1. Seems like spring is elusive on both sides of the Atlantic. We awoke to snow this morning - it will never go away. Love the misty photograph going into your Owl Woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan, People on both sides of the Atlantic are going to be delighted when winter finally loosens his grip - I hope your snow doesn't linger. Fields are awash with great pools of water (once again) but at least we haven't got the white stuff. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. Belated Easter Greetings, and yes, this rain seems to have gone on forever now ... but lovely photos of a misty Owl Wood.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Margaret, I hope your Easter holiday was enjoyable, and filled with your kind of treats. I am so grateful that we had a slight easing of the weather and were able to do the egg hunt outdoors.

      Delete
  3. Children... And a hunt.... Not to be deterred, by a little thing, like weather!!!! :-)

    Hope you are not tiring yourself out. I know. I sound like "Old Aunt Tilly". But! Sometimes we need to listen to "Old Aunt Tilly"!!!!! -grin-

    Sorry your Easter weather was not nice. We were very lucky, and had a super lovely day. Of course, it is colddddd again today.

    Spring has not fully 'sprung.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Luna, I am really glad that you had a lovely day, and hope it helped to recharge your batteries, boost your energy levels.

      It was great seeing the fun that the grandchildren had, even on such a cold and wet day. Very grateful that we didn't have to hide the eggs indoors, it would have been bedlam!

      Don't worry, I am gradually knitting back together. If I do as you say, it does mean less pain, so I am learning to take things more slowly. It is deeply frustrating, because I am usually so active.

      Come on Spring!

      Delete
  4. Oh, how I love your Owl Wood. Every time you post I hope to visit there. :) Your grandchildren are so fortunate to have the best place on earth to run and play and hunt for eggs this Easter. We did our hunt in the wood-lot again this year. It was much colder and still some snow on the ground but fun, nevertheless. I will take your lead and look to see what is starting to grow there and let you know. Even at my age (old) I love to spend time there. :)It's a peaceful place. Enjoy the rest of the day, Elaine. Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Deb, A snowy egg hunt would see my grandchildren doing a very happy dance! I'm really glad that you were able have the family around for the traditional fun, it is lovely gathering the clan together. My spring garden is filled with wonderful flowers, such a shame that the gardens are also very sloppy with pools of water lying on the lawns. More rain is forecast, but at least this part of the country is not due for snow. What we really need is some sunshine. I'll look forward to having some time later, to read about your egg hunt.

      Delete
  5. Elaine,

    It is good to have you "back." I am glad you were able to spend time with the youngsters over the weekend, despite the weather.

    I hope you are continuing on the mend. As has been admonished by others, don't overdo it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Brett, It was a delight to see everyone, even though chaos reigned!
      Thank you for your good wishes - I am learning that if I overdo things, I pay with pain and lost sleep. Slowly, slowly, things are improving. A bit of sunshine would help!

      Delete
  6. Owl Wood is definitely needing some warm, dry days! Now, maybe the noisy Jackdaws don't mind the weather, but not all the inhabitants in and around the Wood don't seem to agree. :~/ Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chip, Warm and dry sounds like such an elusive dream, but it will happen at some point, I hope! I hope the weather is better in your part of the world.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.