Pages

Thursday 5 April 2018

Binning the Rhubarb




One thing which is certainly thriving this year is the rhubarb.     It always does well, but this year it seems to be particularly prolific.




The beautiful rhubarb forcer  wasn't big enough to do the job, we had to bring in reinforcements, a big old plastic bin.    Not beautiful, but certainly capacious.     

Now we have a lovely crop of pink and luscious stems.





They are delicious and fragrant.   

I like mine gently steamed, so that they keep their colour and shape, but my husband prefers his served up with custard, at the very least.      He is particularly fond of this rhubarb and custard cake.  The recipe can be found on my other blog, just click the link.

It is a sponge cake base, a thick layer of custard in the middle, more sponge on top, with a layer of rhubarb baked into it.       He also likes a rhubarb and ginger lattice tart, a chocolate pie with rhubarb...he has a very sweet tooth!





The recipe for the lattice tart can also be found on my other blog - just type rhubarb and ginger into the 'Search' box in the top left hand corner of the page.

All of these are delicious and I enjoy making them but I need to get back to my old recipe books and come up with some alternatives.

Do you have a favourite recipe you are willing to share?




12 comments:

  1. Mmm so when do we get to come around for tea. You shame me with you rhubarb mine are only spindly little things growing in the forcer, think I need to move them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome anytime. The rhubarb was already here when we moved in - the location, just a couple of yards from the septic tank could well be why it is so productive...

      Delete
  2. Our rhubarb is new so we only dare pull a few sticks this year. Yours looks very vigorous..........and delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular crown must be an everlasting variety, we share the crop with all and sundry and still it keeps coming.

      Delete
  3. A rhubarb forcer! Oh wow, have to do a search on this!

    My husband always has rhubarb, but sometimes it doesn't grow as well....... Must look this up.

    Ohhh your finished "product"! Yummmmmm...... His favorite is a Rhubarb Pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rhubarb forcer really just keeps the light out and encourages the rhubarb to grow up tall and pale, so tender and delicious compared to the tougher red stalks. It won't be long before we are in a glut situation and I will be giving it away, as well as doggedly continuing to bake and preserve with it. Rhubarb pie this weekend!

      Delete
  4. Just to let you know your parcel arrived safely today - thank you SO much for such lovely bits and bobs and I am looking forward to sitting down and planning to do a cushion front or two with them.

    As for Rhubarb, my favourite recipe has to be Rhubarb and Custard Cake. Divine! Mine needs a sack of muck from my smallholding neighbour's to give it a boost - I meant to do it at the back end of last year but it got forgotten. I wonder if the proximity of the, ahem, facilities! has helped yours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I'm glad they arrived safely.

      Almost certainly, the location is responsible for the vigorous nature of that crown. It is best not to think too deeply about it, we just accept the bounty and continue to try to present it in interesting ways.

      Delete
  5. Elaine,

    I have never heard of binning rhubarb. Ours is just beginning to show some leaves. Mornings are still rather cold, here, 22 deg. F (-6 deg. C) this morning. Even rhubarb is reluctant at those temperatures.

    Our rhubarb tends to put out seeds early and prolifically. I don't know why it does that, but I wish it wouldn't. I, too, will have to research a rhubarb forcer. Maybe that's the solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Brett, I was just messing about with the title because we had used an old bin in place of a forcer. It does the job, just on a bigger scale.
      We have been organising the polytunnel and greenhouse today, sorting the seed trays and seedlings, potting and labeling. I hope your weather warms up soon, we all need a little warmth and sunshine.

      Delete
  6. I love those first stems of sweet young rhubarb. Crumble is a favourite here but the rhubarb and custard cake sounds delicious and I'm tempted to try it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rosie, They really are the best! We are moving on to using some of the regular ones now - delicious, but they can't compare. Crumble is always well received here, too. I am not a big cake eater (although i enjoy baking them) but my absolute favourite cake is a custard slice - which could help to explain why I enjoy the rhubarb and custard one so much.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.