Pages

Sunday 15 April 2018

Roly Poly Hedgehogs - Caught on Camera




My two naughty cats woke me very early on Friday morning.    The black and white one, Sparky had decided that she wanted food - NOW!

After I had fed her I opened the back door to let  her go outside.     To insist that she go outside, my small revenge.    As I opened the door  I saw a big hedgehog run past - and yes, they can certainly run.     It disappeared into the darkness.

That night we decided to set up a camera and put out a dish of hedgehog food  -  fully expecting the food to be eaten by rats - we live in the country, they are a fact of life.

But no, the night film showed two hedgehogs having a dispute over the food bowl.





I'm sure there is a better way to get it from the house camera system and on to You tube, but this was the best I could do.

The action begins within seconds of the video playing.   I hope you enjoy seeing watching this little clip of them.   We'll put extra food out tonight, two bowls.     Fingers crossed both hedgehogs will benefit.



18 comments:

  1. Ohh, that's wonderful. Looking forward to the next video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bit of bullying going on there! How wonderful you got it on video! Two bowls tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so shocked the first time I saw it but I suppose it goes on all the time.

      Delete
  3. They are much rounder than I imagined them to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those spikes make them look quite chunky. cute little chaps!

      Delete
  4. Wow, he is a nasty one, isn't he? Kept rolling the poor scared one, over and over. But! "Nasty" made sure, he remained IN the scope of the camera! How about that????? -giggggle-

    I kind of doubt he will let the scared one eat. Bet he rolls him into a ball again, and chows down on contents of both bowls. That's my bet! ,-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very shocking. No luck so far with the night camera, fingers crossed for tonight. (I think you could be right about the bowls.)

      Delete
  5. My goodness, they look so big. I've always assumed that they were little things---about the size of the palm of your hand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can grow up to about 4lbs in weight so adults are fairly hefty little creatures - goodness can they run though!

      Delete
  6. How wonderful! I hope two bowls will help the less aggressive hedeghog get some food:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, Rosie. We'll put food out each night and hope that he gets his fair share.

      Delete
  7. That made me smile! We have on occasion found just the one hedgehog in our cat's food bowl on the porch (we feed Miffy, who won't stay in the house but lives in the outbuildings). There is a Blackbird who comes and cleans up the food bowls during the day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing just how much activity there is, really glad that it is hedgehogs eating the food and not rats. Best of luck this week - my fingers are crossed for you.

      Delete
  8. Battling hedgehogs - who knew? I'm afraid I'd only film rats, raccoons and opposums. Hedgehogs are much more photogenic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we would probably be highly entertained with your raccoons and opposums! There are so many slugs and snails around here that I don't really think they need the hedgehog food, but it is a good way of catching sight of them occasionally.

      Delete
  9. Who would have though hedgehogs were so crabby. One just bowled the other over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hart - and Welcome! I must admit that I was surprised at the 'violence', but that is nature. I keep checking the night footage, hoping to capture some more hedgehog fun to share, no luck so far.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.