Pages

Tuesday 10 April 2018

Miss Read at the Manor House Part I



I slathered myself with arnica gel (after my fall) and carried on with my day;
 I had a meeting to attend
and
 papers to deliver,
  the typed-up notes on 'Miss Read's Wartime Memories'.


I got to the village hall a little earlier than everyone else
so that I could turn on the heating (ceiling-height electric things, not very effective!)
to cheer the place up a little.


Our 'Miss Read' used to live in the Old Rectory, right next door to the village church,
then when she was 10 years old her family moved into the Manor House.
The house was demolished in the 1970's, nowadays that wouldn't be allowed,
even these remains are listed and protected.

Luckily we have Miss Read's memories of the place to call upon.
The core of the manor house was very old, but the main house and Hall were built in the 16th century from bricks which were produced in local fields.
The walls were 39" thick and caused a few difficulties when it came to curtaining windows
- especially during WWII when blackout curtains were necessary -
smaller, dormer, bedroom windows were a real problem.

Her father was responsible for fire-watching, distribution of gas masks
and
checking on the black outs in the village.

The ground floor drawing room and living rooms had wooden floors, laid directly onto the ground,
and therefore very draughty.

The scullery, pantries and kitchen had brick floors.
Ground floor rooms had very high ceilings
so heating was a real problem,
particularly during the war years when coal was severely rationed.





The old wall and gate, another remnant.

At some point in the history of the house, concrete had been used to make a floor for
a passageway and two of the bedrooms on the upper floor.
This caused the floor to slope so badly that beds had to be put on blocks to get an even keel.

The house had 8 bedrooms and lots of dark corridors and twisting staircases.
It was cold and damp, especially during those war years.

There was an indoor lavatory, upstairs.
To use this facility you had to carry a bucket of water upstairs with you
because the water system was not working.

There was also a twin seater outdoor lavatory.

Baths were taken once a week, in front of the fire, in a zinc tub.
It was quite a ritual as water had to be heated and then buckets were used to fill the bath.

Electricity came to the village in the late 1940's
so her childhood memories are of candles and oil lights,
ceiling oil lights
because her mother was always afraid that lamps would be knocked over.





This is all that remains, the old medieval hall, the house adjoined it at the far end.
This beautiful old building has seen many alterations over the years, 
I often stop by and just look at the brickwork.
History written on the walls.

Picture this hall about 65 years ago.
The Manor House was still attached.
It was Miss Read's wedding day
and
her wedding breakfast was taken in the old hall.
There were flowers, straw bales, and as great an abundance of food as was possible
to produce in those post war days.

Fingers crossed that I can persuade Miss Read to open her photograph album...





Our very own 'Miss Read' (with walking stick)  making her way home, after the meeting.

The building in the distance, with the blue sign,
was our village school.
These days it is a private residence.


16 comments:

  1. I trust it was a good meeting and you got to see the album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill, it was good to get together to pool our ideas. The album will be produced when I visit Miss Read in her home...I hope!

      Delete
  2. Somehow I can't picture wood flooring laid right on the ground. How did it survive and not rot? If the house had survived it would have taken quite a bit to restore it. Was there a threat there of bombing by the Germans? I too hoped she shared her photos with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marcia, I expect there would have been some wooden supports but, yes, they did rot, shrink and develop woodworm. Lincolnshire was home to many RAF airfields, one just a mile or two away from here, during the war. Bombs were dropped in the immediate area but I don't think they did too much damage, unlike further along the coast.

      Delete
  3. Elaine,

    It has been my observation, the UK bred a hearty people. If the British people's response and resilience to the threats in both the World Wars is not a testament of that heartiness, I don't know what is.

    We have lived in some old houses with similarities to the manor -- certainly not in size or grandeur, but in draftiness. I have likened them to corn cribs. Cold, but we did not worry about air quality!

    John Gould, in his book, "The House that Jacob Built" wrote about the house his great grandfather built in Maine, U.S.A. Of the cook stove in the kitchen, he wrote, "...in the winter the only warm place on the farm was within a few feet of it." I suspect Miss Read could identify.

    Thank you, again, for sharing some of Miss Read's memories. What a life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Brett, That is a nice thing to say. I agree, they showed hearts of oak and great strength - but I suspect that most nations, faced with such threats, draw together and discover a resilience of which they were not aware.
      I've just read a little about John Gould's book, it sounds interesting. I have added it to my list - so thank you.
      She is a truly remarkable woman - she is losing her eyesight and yet she still manages to paint pictures (I will try to post one sometime) and she is also very good at decorating cakes with intricate sugar work.

      Delete
    2. Elaine,

      You will want to put John Gould's book, "A Farmer Takes A Wife," on your list before "The House that Jacob Built." "Farmer" precedes "House," chronologically. In my opinion, Mr. Gould had an uncommon wit. I enjoy his books.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Brett. I have added that one, too.

      Delete
  4. All this just takes my breath away! It is so very, very interesting.

    And again, I commend you for bothering to prompt this lady, to share her memories... And for you to compile them.

    Wish I could give her a hug and a kiss. She is a Village Treasure.

    Oh yes, her photograph albums!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Luna, She is indeed a treasure. I think she quite enjoys sharing her memories with a rapt audience - we probably behave like model pupils, listening, asking questions, interested. We are fortunate that she is so willing to share.

      I must visit her soon, I am so keen to check out her photographs!!

      Delete
  5. How wonderful to live amongst such history! The remaining building is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan, Those buildings are on a farm - the dovecote is visible from the lane, or across the fields, but the rest is hidden within modern farm buildings on a working farm. I was so happy the day I found out that Miss Read had lived there and was able to hear some of her stories.

      Delete
  6. How interesting that she can tell you exactly what her life was like. Hope you see some photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, You cannot mistake the fact that she was a schoolmistress! We all have lots of fun, but she doesn't stand for any nonsense in 'class'. I have to visit her to show her the latest typed notes and also to take her photograph for a booklet, I'll see about her photo album then.

      Delete
  7. This is such a delightful read... and also sad , knowing that things have been demolished... ..it’s so wonderful that you are recording this history...BRAVO !!! ...xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Zaa, So many of these big old houses were demolished in that period, often because of tax problems or because the cost of repairs and the discomfort of living in them became too great. A real shame.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.