Pages

Thursday 12 April 2018

Greek Biscuits with Jelly Tots



An old photograph from last year


Yesterday afternoon turned into quite an intense baking session.   It wasn't planned, but I suddenly found that we had to 'keep an eye on' four children for a couple of hours.

The two boys, being aged 10 and 11,  were no trouble.    They wanted to play outside in Owl Wood,
so,  with Toby by their side to keep watch over them, that is what they did.

The two six year-old girls were a different proposition.   They are two equally strong-minded girls who had been together all morning and  had already had a few squabbles.

I decided that biscuit baking would keep them occupied  until such time as I could hand them back to their owners!

Linda, over at Local Kiwi Alien posted this recipe last year.
I also found a couple of variations on the recipe in this old book of traditional Greek recipes, but I used Linda's recipe,  just in a smaller quantity.


The girls had a great time.


My granddaughter was determined to do things her own way (what a surprise)  - hence the jelly sweets and silver balls,   which shouldn't be there on traditional biscuits.

The other one was very serious, determined to get absolutely as many biscuits out of her mix as possible  even if they were tiny.   She preferred to keep hers plain and simple because that way she could eat her jelly tots..

Two different styles, equal enjoyment and no disagreements.     It was a joy to watch them.   My main function was to keep the jelly tots flowing.    They both like the purple ones best.    Agreement at last.




The biscuits are a bit pale-looking, they should have been glazed with an egg wash
but
I forgot.
Can't think why.







13 comments:

  1. Lol. I always forget the egg wash too until a certain someone comes and complains that the first couple of batches don't look like his mother's!!
    I love the girls variations. When my girls were younger they used to make all sorts of fancy shapes of their own imagination and took them home proudly to show off. Love the jelly tots. Might try chocolate chips next year.
    That is like play dough ..
    Bravo Grandma. Four kids are hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that recipe Linda. They had so much fun, the dough is so wonderfully pliable and forgiving, perfect for little fingers. Their parents get to praise their hard work and eat the results and I got a house was filled with the delicious smell of baking.

      Thinking of you on your beautiful Greek Island set in a sparkling blue sea, bathed in sunshine, as we are treated to yet another day of cold fog.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea to keep them occupied and have some goodies at the end. Don't worry about forgetting I woke up this morning and thought it was Friday and hopped back into bed, my wife looked at me and said shouldn't you get up and told me what day it was. I felt gutted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I don't work Friday of Monday

      Delete
    2. Ooops! That must have been so disappointing. At least you have a lie-in to look forward to tomorrow. I think your working week sounds rather good!

      Delete
  3. I read "biscuits" and don't think cookies. So I wonder what all the decorations were going to do for the biscuits. Then when I saw the finished photo I realized that yes decorating them made sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marcia, One forgets, our languages are so similar and yet so different! The girls really enjoyed themselves, but they are two very different individuals.

      Delete
  4. Hmmmmm, I'd not appreciate being told, without forewarning, or without asking my permission, to keep-an-eye-on 4 children. Harrrrumph...

    But then, I'm me and you are you.

    And you do being-you, so well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Luna, It wasn't quite what I had planned but baking saved the day! I am used to minding my grandchildren, not at all used to them having their best friends in tow, though. Toby enjoyed the extra company.

      Delete
  5. This made me laugh. I know how exhausting they can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I could get them trained to do the housework or the gardening!!

      Delete
  6. Awww jelly tots. Haven’t had any of those since I was a kid and lived in England!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those jelly tots really saved the day, the girls loved them!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.