Pages

Sunday 8 April 2018

Frugal Fare


I walked down to the watermill, yesterday.    It was the first time I had been out for a walk since hurting my back, which isn't to say that I haven't been taking gentle strolls around the gardens and Owl Wood!

It was so nice to be out in the world again.     Toby and I headed out before 7am, so the lane was very quiet, my aim was to walk as far as the watermill.        It was far enough, but it was no distance at all!   I have some work to do to get back to walking fitness.   Gently, gently.





Three frugal dishes - rhubarb crumble, a spelt loaf, and a big pan of leek and potato soup.

The spelt loaf was frugal because I finally got around to using the bag of spelt flour which I had bought from our local windmill.    It  had waved goodbye to the 'Best Before' date, long ago and then sulked in the bottom of the flour bin.




Thanks to 'Franny and Danny' , who gave a recipe for Spelt Bread, I finally got around to using what could have eventually have been quietly, and guiltily, thrown away.

It was rather more frugal than intended (the recipe is over on Franny and Danny's link) because I forgot to add the oil...     The resulting bread turned out just fine though.     It isn't bread in the normal sense, the texture being much more dense. 

We ate it with leek and potato soup, another frugal meal.     The leeks were home grown.   Definitely not giants among leeks, but they packed a punch with the flavour.     I sauted half a dozen of them, using the olive oil which should have gone into the bread,   added four or five medium potatoes, a little stock and seasoning. 

It was quickly made and very tasty. 

The rhubarb is growing unbelievably quickly.    It goes from nothing to an over-abundance in no time. 

This time I pulled some of the thick and chunky stems.     

Whenever I make a crumble mix I always take out a couple of spoonsful and put it into the freezer, gathering them together until I have enough for a 'free' crumble.      This is what I topped the crumble with, which made it feel like another frugal dish.   

The crumble was flavoured with ginger and I added just one spoonful of sugar, then topped it with the crumble mix.



We had to run a few errands in Louth.   This was Saturday, mid-morning.   It's not always this quiet!

8 comments:

  1. Good Sunday morning thought it's past noon for you now. We are slowly acclimating to our time change after being on Europe time for 12 days. I dozed off at the movies last night and when home went promptly to sleep. I did wake at 5 and lay in bed planning before getting up.

    Your leek and potato soup sounds good. I purchased asparagus yesterday to make asparagus soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday, Marcia. I hope your body clock is starting to adjust now. I know it can be tricky - the cats normally wake me around 5am (little devils) - it's not so bad on bright mornings, or so I tell myself.
      Asparagus - a wonderful seasonal treat!

      Delete
  2. So glad you are gently resuming your walking. Yesss!

    Oh your meals sound so delicious! My husband is in the midst of making turkey soup, with the carcass of the delicious turkey, the family had. He is the only one who makes soup. The "children" don't know what they are missing. ,-)

    In the last photo, are vehicles allowed in the center lane of that street? Or is it strictly reserved for walkers? Just wondering....

    And again, how pretty your kitchen looks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I well remember the turkey soups which my mother used to make, definitely more delicious than any roast dinner, Luna. Your husband is right, Luna. Anyway, ll the more for you and your husband if the family don't have any!
      That part of Louth has been pedestrianised. There is a one-way system, which used to be frequently changed about, causing great confusion and huge traffic jams. It is an old town, most of the roads are very narrow, like that one.

      Delete
  3. Rhubarb crumble sounds wonderful. Your kitchen always looks so homey and welcoming. I hope you feel better soon and can get on with your long distance walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rhubarb crumble really hit the mark, my husband loved it. I hope that the snow and cold weather are loosening their grip and that spring has arrived for you - we are still waiting for warmth and sunshine although we get teasing little glimpses of it.

      Delete
  4. I have also had a good week using up stray odds & ends. It's still freezing cold so comfort food is still the order of the day. I had a couple of turkey drumsticks and wings in the freezer so I made stock and then a big pot of turkey soup. I keep the largest chunks of meat back and then added them to a couple of slices of ham that I had left in the freezer (chopped up all the meat) - added some veg and mixed it all in a cheese sauce (pkg.) and topped with some mashed potato. It's made 5 servings worth of meals. I had bought a litre of buttermilk a couple of weeks ago for a poppyseed cake and wanted to use up more so made my first "sweet" soda bread - it was so good that I had to freeze most of it or I would have eaten the lot in one go! I used more buttermilk in today's mashed potatoes and I think I will make some salad dressing tomorrow with the bit that is left. Was not want not. Hope your back continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The freezer is such a great ally! How often it saves us from ourselves - unless it is harbouring a tub of really nice ice cream, of course! Margie, that sounds like a very thrifty and delicious way to make the most of the turkey and the buttermilk and restock the freezer. My back is improving day by day, thank you for your good wishes! I have to be 'back aware' and build up on the walking again.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.