Pages

Friday 20 April 2018

Make Dandelions do Your Cleaning





On Wednesday there was a major failure in the dustsheeting and screening of the kitchen alterations. 
I had gone out leaving a chaotic, but clean, kitchen and returned to thick dust and soot everywhere - and  my grandchildren were due  home from school and would be expecting their tea in little over an hour.


There was no way that I could possibly let them eat at the kitchen table or breathe the dusty air. 

Think, Elaine, think!

Ignore the mess.

I rummaged in the freezer - kept in the Boot Room - and came up with some frozen burgers and some brioche buns.    We have a little gas hob through there, so that was tea sorted.   Not quite up to normal standards of nutrition, but it would keep them going.

To make it more fun, I wrapped the cooked burgers and buns in some greaseproof paper and presented them with a 'Takeaway', to be eaten at the patio table.       Success!   They loved the novelty of it.   Pudding was an ice cream cornet, appreciated all the more because the only ice cream I could find was stripy strawberry, vanilla and chocolate mix.

Once their parents had returned to claim them, I had to face the horror of the kitchen.     It was such a mess that I had to disconnect my emotions and just plough through the jobs, doing basic cleaning and dust removal.

Unsurprisingly, my thoughts turned to cleaning products and how much I dislike all the chemical ones, I prefer using vinegar, bicarbonate of soda, and dandelions!


A couple of years ago I found an old recipe for Dandelion Cleaner.    It was on a detached, raggedy page from an old recipe book.      I didn't really expect great things from it, but I was curious to see whether it worked, so I made a brew. 

Fabulously frugal, it is made very simply by boiling dandelions in water.

You will need approximately five dandelion plants - roots, leaves and flowers.      Dunk them into some water to wash off the soil, insects, etc.  then put them into an old saucepan, along with two or three pints of water.     Bring to the boil and then simmer, until reduced by about half.      You don't need to be too precise.

I then let the brew cool right down  before straining the liquid.   Discard the dandelion plants and bottle the liquid!

Don't forget to label it and keep it out of reach of children and animals - just in case.

It keeps for a week or two, but after that it begins to smell quite unpleasant.

I find that it works brilliantly on mirrors, windows, paintwork and metalwork.    I simply apply it with a soft cloth, rub, then use another soft, clean cloth to dry things.   

The building work is ongoing, though not as messy as before (fingers crossed)    - the resident housework fairy is delighted to be able to clean the place up without chemical cleaners.  😎

Everywhere sparkles!

15 comments:

  1. We would eat the dandelions and drink the juice lol
    What a horrid mess. I don't know how I would have coped!
    Hope nothing like that happens again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have been magnificent, Linda.

      Give me sunshine and warmth and I can cope with most things...though preferably not that mess again. Retrospectively, it was quite funny.

      Delete
    2. ps I am toying with the idea of finding some clean dandelion leaves (next door's garden, they don't have a dog!!) to make a spring salad, or perhaps add some nettle tops and make a soup.

      Delete
  2. Hey Elaine .. This was such a cute posting... You did a most admirable job of food time with the children and I know it’s not easy nowadays. Bravo for using an environmentally free cleaner... Dandelions are just the most useful plant and most people don’t know it ...My mother used to make Dandelion salve, tea, dandelion soup and Dandelion wine...but never Dandelion cleaner .. so I will gladly add it to my herb and weed arsenal( ha ha)...One of my favourite childhood songs is called “ Dandelion Clocks” ... It’s so very nice to know that people still enjoy the simple things that god has gifted us.... Have a Blessed Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Zaa, now that we have had a couple of very warm (for England) days, the dandelions are bursting into bloom, lots of them. I'm hoping to make a batch of dandelion marmalade in the next couple of days, but I must say that Dandelion salve sounds very useful and I know that Dandelion wine is really delicious - can't drink wine these days, alas! Good to know that you value these flowers, too.

      Delete
  3. I have never heard that dandelions can be used in this way - we always eat them or make a lovely wine. It will be interesting to try this cleaner as a change from my usual vinegar and bicarbonate of soda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To think that I found this purely by chance. It makes a great addition to the cleaning cupboard. Good to know that you enjoy dandelions to their fullest, too!

      Delete
  4. Did you get to pound on, which ever workman, allowed the mess to happen????????

    You should!!!!!!!!

    I'd have made such an uproar, that it would be heard in London!!!!!!!!!!

    And I'll bet, they would never allow it to happen again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The workman who did such a poor job of sealing off the room was my husband! More later, guests have arrived.

      Delete
  5. What is this work being done, since it is not the removal of the stove? Please and thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The work at the moment is to knock out the chimney wall, on the opposite side of the room, so that a larger log burner can be installed as this will help to make up for the loss of heat when the Rayburn goes. Dull, but necessary.

      I normally give the grandchildren a proper cooked meal when they get in, Luna. Then follow it with a pudding. Then my daughter and SiL don't have to start cooking as soon as they get in from work. My granddaughter is great about eating vegetables, I'm struggling to get her older brother to do the same. Kids!

      p.s. Have you stopped blogging?

      Delete
  6. What you have to feed the children, after school...... Is it simply something to eat, after school day, and to hold-them-over till dinner with parents?

    Or is it their dinner? And parents don't have to feed them, at home, after work?

    Please and thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yesssssss!!! I am a "Nosy Nellie"!!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the idea of that Dandelion cleaner - may give it a whirl myself. With this sudden hot spell we had (already greatly missed!) there was an explosion of Dandelions on the verges and they are so beautiful en masse like that. A shame most people just see them as "weeds".

    I bet your grandchildren enjoyed their impromptu supper, and sorry that you had so much cleaning up to do after the kitchen work. Having lived in a building site on and off for 16 years as we brought this house back to life, I can sympathise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem to be a particularly prolific year for Dandelions, my patio is covered in them, and so is everywhere else. I'm planning to make some Dandelion Marmalade later in the week. We don't eat much marmalade, but I love the idea of it being made with 'weeds'.

      It took all day on Saturday to clean down one of the rooms, ceiling to floor, inside cupboards and the piano stool, walls had to be hoovered, all the grandchildren's toys had to be washed, including a big tub of old Lego bricks. I now feel as though i have done the Spring cleaning, very thoroughly...then i look at the other rooms. This is when I rejoice that we have so few of them!

      You deserve a gold medal, 16 years is a long time. I imagine you have had some fun, as well as sheer hard work, along the way. Add a gold star to that medal.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.