Pages

Thursday 15 March 2018

The Little Green Man and a Crusader

Tucked away around the corner there lives a little green man. 
He's not much to look at these days, decidedly weatherbeaten and worn...




but that's because he dates from the 16th century and was originally part of an arch in the  gatehouse to the (now demolished) manor house of a neighbouring village.   

The green man, the dovecote and the great hall are all that remain.

A green man is a representation of a face with vegetation spouting from nostrils, eyes, etc.     They are often to be found in churches, although people think of them as a pagan symbol of fertility, a nature spirit.   

As this carving was part of the entrance to an important manor house, many people of note will have been caught in his stern gaze.    I always think he looks poised and ready to dish out a beating.

(This is the same green man which has been made into a beautiful work of raised embroidery by a woman of 90+ years of age.    I can't wait to see what she has made of him.)

Just beyond this building there is a bubbling spring, the source of a chalk stream river which meanders  through our villages.  Crystal clear water which bubbles up out of the ground.    I often think about the many people who had to come to collect their daily water from here.        The little bridge is tiny, a narrow footbridge no more than two or three feet above the water.




Just around the corner is this lovely little church.   It was built around 1320, but was restored in 1867.  There was a much earlier church on the site.




Alas!   the door was locked - something which I have only found once before, and that was on the day of my granddaughter's christening!   

The vicar didn't have a key, the churchwardens were both away - so we had a very simple service out in the churchyard.    It was actually much nicer than normal, we were out in the sunshine, the birds sang and everyone was relaxed and comfortable outdoors.

My mission today was to photograph the crusader, the one I mentioned a couple of days ago.    I have been spending some time trying to decipher the difficult handwriting on the letter I was given..




this is a tiny sample, there are two full pages.    Just to make life more interesting, it has been ripped to pieces and then stuck together again, many years ago.    The writing is fading, some words have been half lost in the tears...    I'm getting there, but it isn't easy.




The 'letter' is a poem, written to request that the crusader be moved to a more suitable location. 

 From the condition of him, I would think that he had been left outside for quite some time.    These days he slumbers in a corner, just to the left of this lovely old door.




I had intended taking off my boots and coat, leaving Toby to look after them for me while I went inside to take a better photograph of the effigy.    It wasn't to be.    Luckily I have some old photographs of the poor chap.




As you can see, he has suffered over the centuries.   The two angels holding his pillow have lost their heads, his nose has all but disappeared and his leg has has been broken!




His monument was found on the site of a Cistercian Priory.    The priory was founded before 1153 but little is known about it.   I can tell you that before Michaelmas, 1536,  the priory was dissolved and the ten nuns who lived there were paid off, sent back home or cast adrift.

Nothing remains of the priory now except this monument and a few documents.

He is in terrible condition, compared to some of the wonderful ones I have seen.   Such a shame, but at least he is indoors now. 




14 comments:

  1. I loved reading your post today. How lucky you were to have beautiful sunshine. I can't believe you have this wonderful history at your doorstep! It's quite fascinating. Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pat, So glad you enjoyed it! Digging and delving into the history of the area certainly makes my walks a lot more interesting.

      Delete
  2. He is actually in better condition so some of the ones I have seen. That green man does look mean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bill, A few miles away there is a really handsome knight with wonderfully carved chain mail and surcoat, I guess I was comparing their condition. I'll nip over to photograph him some time.

      Delete
  3. I know the green man figured in some book I've read in the past. We may also have heard reference to him when we were in Scotland last fall. I sent you some photos I had of a similar knight/crusader we saw in the Cotswolds. There was no information on him either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marcia, I'll go to my email and look at them shortly, thank you! Some green men are wonderfully carved, this one may well have been very impressive but the centuries have certainly taken their toll. Still nice to see him though.

      Delete
  4. Ohhhhhh, a Green Man!!!!! Mmmm, he does look fierce, doesn't he.

    When you say that The green man, the dovecote and the great hall are all that remain.... Does that mean that this land, is simply abandoned? No member of the original family, owns it? Or anyone else? It just doesn't seem as if, this could be thus.

    Oh, a crystal clear bubbling spring. Oh my!!!! Perfect place to build a manor house... Spring nearby.

    The old crusader... He is in sad condition, but inside now, as you said. Question, are his bones in what is beneath him? Or are his bones long disappeared, and all that remains, is the statuary?

    Oh I love all this!!!!! ,-) As you well know, by now! :-)))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Luna, I thought you would enjoy a Green Man! I'll try to keep my eyes open for some more. The land all of these wonderful things stand on is now a farm, so the Green Man is built into an unused farm building. The manor house was pulled down in 1978, I believe... it would not be allowed these days. Again, that is used as a farm building, but it does have a protected listing, as does the dovecote.
      All of them are located at the heart of a working farm, but there is a public 'footpath' running through there, so anyone can see the outside. I admit that I take advantage of quiet times to venture off the path and around the corner to see the Green Man and the interesting side of the old hall, but I am naughty!!

      Delete
  5. Oh, another question. Is there any record of who he was? Does the plaque above him now, give any information? Or is it just a "regulation" kind of a plaque?

    Or if you have already covered this information, I could look up your Labels...

    Please and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea of who he was, but I promise that if I find out anything I will do a post. The brass plaque is a memorial to someone else. It is possible that there may be some more information in the church, or one of the churchwardens may know more, I'll ask them next time I see them.
      I am delighted that you share my enthusiasm!

      Delete
  6. Oh I do love a good mystery and it’s even better when there are pictures... Often I feel sad for the state of some of these precious historical pieces... I’m so happy that you are caring for the " green man ” ...I ’m sure that your garden will be gifted with an abundance of flowers and
    ‘"sweet peas” ( ha Ha) ... I’m your newest follower ....Thank You for this fabulous post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Zaa, Welcome, and thank you! I have just this minute been selecting my sweet pea varieties for this year - strongly scented ones, of course! Who needs air freshener when you can scent a room with beautiful sweet peas? So glad you enjoyed the post, if there are any developments I will let you know.

      Delete
  7. I love seeing this green man and the Crusader, from the dog at his feet I can see he died safely at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello hart, Certainly two nice chunky bits of history, even though they are weather-worn. I'm glad you enjoyed them.
      It's difficult to tell from these old photographs, but the animal at his feet is a lion. When I have some free time (and the church is open) I'll take some better photographs.
      Nice to meet you.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.