Pages

Friday 16 March 2018

Rhubarb and Gnomes





Yesterday two sticks of rhubarb were beautifully pink and ready for harvesting.   Hardly enough for one serving, but too good to leave behind. 

I decided to make a tart.

Photograph borrowed from oldcooks.blogspot.co.uk  -  my other blog!

Rhubarb and Ginger Lattice Tart -  I didn't have enough rhubarb...




so I added a large cooking apple to make up the difference. 




The first photograph of a tart is one I took from my other blog (Parsonage Cottage Kitchen)   but these are  photographs of the tart I made yesterday - photography is definitely not my forte.

As you can see, my lattice-work hasn't improved any over the last year, either.  The taste is what matters.




The smell of the rhubarb was so strong that my self control crumbled, so I had a slice, and it was worth every calorie.

I didn't sweeten the fruit at all, the only sugar went into the crust (3oz brown sugar), so the tart was deliciously sweet/slightly tart. 

The full recipe can be found here, on my other blog.




Now that we no longer have any hens, I have to buy eggs. 

Luckily our next-door-but-one neighbour has a young and productive little flock and now sells them at her gate.   

One pound for six eggs isn't the cheapest, but the eggs are so young and fresh, the yolks so beautifully golden,  that they are well worth the money.

I shall miss our little flock. 

They used to roam around the Owl Wood, curious about everything that went on there, as you can see in the first photograph which was taken a couple of years ago, when I made a Queen Mab Pudding, also on my other blog.

A wild wind is blowing and we shall have snow, or so they say.

I'll be hunkering down with a pile of good books. 

I hope you all have a lovely weekend.
x




ps  For anyone who has nipped over from Sue's blog   The Cottage at the End of a Lane    please rest assured, I do NOT own any garden gnomes, nor do I intend to buy any for Owl Wood.   They are not my taste at all, I was joking. 

Owl Wood is not home to gnomes...well, not the last time I looked!



10 comments:

  1. I could eat that right now!!!! It is blue sky here at the moment but we have been forecast snow for Sunday and Monday. Deep joy *sarcasm* The lady down the road has stopped selling her eggs, maybe her hens are molting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pop the kettle on then Sol, get yourself round here!

      I hope your egg supply is soon restored!

      Delete
  2. I'd love the crust. Not so sure about the rhubarb. Never have acquired that taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marcia, The rhubarb was the first of the year, bright pink and very fresh. It was delicious! By the middle of the rhubarb season I will be fed up with the stuff!

      Delete
  3. Ohhh yummmmm..... How delicious looking!

    Oh yes, I am sure, those fresh eggs are worth the price. Our son's hens (next door) give beautiful eggs. Might not be as big as from the store, but they are so beautiful, in the pan. :-)))))

    Even 2 stalks of rhubarb, already. Imagine that!!! But you say you have snow coming. Eeeek. ,-)

    Glad to hear, no gnomes in Owl Wood. Other than the possible 'Natural' variety. :-))))))

    All you have to do, with your latest tart pic, is lighten it a bit. I love "lightening." It does magic. :-).... Oh and I do it, right in the photo thing, which comes on my computer. Do not have any of those apps, which lots of bloggers do.

    Regardless, when you have beautiful food to picture, who cares about purrrrrrrrfect photography??!!??!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Luna, Those eggs are worth every penny. Of course they are not quite as good as the eggs which we got from our girls!!
      There is a wickedly wild wind blowing outside, but amazingly the promised snow and rain hasn't arrived yet, thank goodness. No, definitely no gnomes live in Owl Wood, although it is home to wolves, dragons, fairies and the like...
      Thanks for the tip about the photograph, I'll remember that for the future.
      I hope you have a great weekend.

      Delete
  4. Hi Elaine: It must be wonderful having even two stalks of rhubarb growing. I am so anxious for our snow to take a hike and to see the grass again. I'm sorry to hear you have no hens left to roam in Owl Wood. I always enjoyed seeing them in your photos. I get our eggs across the road from a farm of 85 free-roaming chickens. :) They are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, You still have snow? That's terrible, I hope it goes soon. Local, free-range eggs are absolutely the best. My granddaughter loves scrambled eggs and the difference in colour is remarkable, they are so rich and golden again. I still miss our little flock, they always put some life and energy into Owl Wood.
      I hope you have a great weekend.

      Delete
  5. Afraid my rhubarb is only may coming out of the ground and I need to move it. The tarts look nice but what happened to the chooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill, our rhubarb patch always seems to do really well - it was in situ when we bought the place. We just leave it to do its own thing. Our last little flock were all different breeds, normally we have all brown rescue hens. The fancy ones didn't do as well as the rescue ones, although it was much easier to name each individual.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.