Pages

Saturday 5 May 2018

A Mystery Solved

Remember this lovely old house?



A beautiful old manor house at the end of a bridleway.   

The house has been empty for many decades, but re-roofed in the relatively recent past.    The gardens are kept neat and tidy.     Opposite the front of the house there is a duck pond, a coach house and, through the gates a working farm.   To the rear, an excellent motte and bailey castle, mostly hidden from view.     The whole is set in beautiful farm land. 

I only found it by following a public footpath which cuts through this private land.





It has taken me a while, but now I know the story of the house.

It was bought by a wealthy business man, who lives in a village not too far from here.    It wasn't purchased as a home but it was bought, along with shooting rights and grazing for horses.     During the shooting season the dining room and kitchen are put to use to cook Shoot Lunches.

People pay a small fortune to spend a day stomping around some beautiful countryside, shooting birds which have been bred especially for the purpose.

So there we have it.     

A beautiful old house which occasionally comes to life, when the killing stops.

Mystery solved.   Not half as romantic as I had hoped.






These flowers are for my mother, she died 23 years ago today.    Lily of the Valley were her favourite flowers.    I have been trying to get them established in the garden here, it has taken 12 years of stop/start progress.    Perseverance paid off, this year they are flourishing and spreading and I have one large patch of them, two smaller ones.      I am happy.


13 comments:

  1. Memory flowers are such a lovely thing. I have a weeping cherry in memory of my parents and my only sister. Far better than a stone memorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Something to gladden the heart and delight the eye.

      Delete
  2. Today is our wedding anniversary. I had lily of the valley in my bouquet as a tribute to my grandma, Lily Veronica. I have tried in vain over the years to grow it, but am trying yet again this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Anniversary, Scarlet! I hope you have had a lovely day and finger's crossed for those lily of the valley! Perhaps this will be the year.

      Delete
  3. I am so disappointed with the end of that story. How sad the house is used so infrequently. YOu'd think the owner could get some income by renting to out as a Airbnb or holiday "cottage".
    Lilies of the valley have such an amazing scent. I had two patches at the house we last lived in. The patch by the front door was from Dan's grandfather's home. Before we moved daughters took them home to transplant so they continue in the family. I was at younger daughter's home yesterday and hers were blooming. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I, Marcia. The man who owns the place probably likes it just the way it is, an occasional playhouse. Terrible, but there we are.
      I'm so glad that the lilies have taken to their new home, how special that they have such a wonderful pedigree.

      Delete
  4. Bit of a waste of a house really. Even worse than a second home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Sue. I felt exactly the same when I heard the story - which was only this morning, following a chance meeting with a man who has a long family history in and around this area.

      Delete
  5. -clapping hands- A mystery solved!!!!

    Oh I would love to be able to seek out the story behind the lovely mysteries there. Nothing I like better, than a real life mystery. ,-) And yes, when I was younger, I did my own.

    Love Lily of the Valley! So beautiful. So tiny. Such a harbinger of spring. But last such a short time. All the more precious for this.

    Oh yes, once established, they will multiply and cover your whole area, if let do it. :-)))))))))))))))) My husband has to keep at them, to not cover our whole tiny door way garden. They'd not leave any room, for summer flowers to be planted, if they 'had their way.' :-)

    23 years ago... I do hope, time had eased loss, and left only lovely memories... Like the Lily of the Valley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the joys of walking a dog is that you never know who you are going to meet. This morning it happened to be a 'friend' from the village, he was walking his two cute little Patterdale Terriers, Toby stopped for a chat with them - so we humans had a chat, too!

      Finding those beautiful little Lily of the Valley flowers had bloomed at exactly the right time really put a smile on my face, Luna. My mother would have been thrilled at the sight of them.

      Delete
  6. Our mother’s had some things in common I seem to remember? Lily of the valley, a flavour of the past for me, are now established in my left-behind home, which like you with Toby and me with Lett’s have left a hole in our hearts. Sadly for me and I suspect you Elaine, will never be truly polyfilled in?

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on, Lettice.
      Wild garlic is thriving in the little woodland, especially around Toby's grave. In the garden, Lily of the Valley for my mother. They bloom at almost the same time. Toby's date is May 4th. May is a painful month.xx

      Delete
  7. What a shame that lovely house is not a home, just a plaything. Do you know anything more about its history?

    Lily of the Valley are so lovely and have the loveliest scent. I am glad you managed to get some established in memory of your mother.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.