Pages

Friday 4 May 2018

My Door is Always Open




This door is always open.    Rain, hail, snow, blow, sunshine or showers.    It is never closed...because there is no door.



There are no windows either.


This is a Listed Building, protected, loved.   It is also a place which attracts some dreadful people who make use of the isolation and lonely position of this old church.       During the 1970's and 1980's it was targeted and abused.



There are still occasional bouts of abuse and vile goings-on.     Luckily, they now have a surveillance system, 24 hours a day, so there is a little less of it.




It is a strange experience to go from a beautifully warm and sunshiney day into this beautiful old building where you suddenly find yourself in a completely different atmosphere and climate.   

Outside there is warmth, sunshine, birdsong.    Step inside and there is a great flapping as crows abandon the place and fly out of the open windows, and the previously unnoticed chilly breeze blows in from the north window.

Yet it is a dearly loved old place, people are fighting for its survival.

More of that another time. 

Right now I have to go and get ready to walk the dog and then get breakfast for two of my grandchildren.

14 comments:

  1. That s a beautiful old building. Thank goodness for the surveillance.
    Send a blog, walk the dog, get breakfast for grandchildren ... You don't have a relaxed start to the day. Very hard work being a grandmother. What happens during the holidays.
    I just had a shower and am now enjoying a coffee while reading blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get up extra-early (5am) to make sure that I do have a relaxed start - two strong coffees and some blogging time, then I leap into action! As for the holidays - in theory we have free time, the reality is that the grandchildren love being over here, so they turn up on the doorstep at any time of the day. Perhaps I should become more like an ogre!

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely old build. Great photographs.
    Even though my computer was working when my computer man returned it yesterday, within an hour or two it failed again. I can see others' blogs and websites, but I can't access my own, nor my emails (I can't send any or receive any). I will phone him again today and see what can be done. Others can access my blog, but not me! Very strange.
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Computer problems are very frustrating - glad to see that you have got them sorted out now, Margaret. This old church was once in the heart of a busy settlement, farming changed, housing changed, the population moved but the building remained, isolated. Considering all that has taken place there it is quite remarkable that it still stands!

      Delete
  3. What a treasure! So glad people are fighting to keep it safe, and preserve it.

    I can imagine the change of atmosphere, just from your words and photos.....

    Wonder the age of it?

    And following that, wonder what was "there before"? :-) Since so many old churches were built on pre-Christian holy sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely old building set in marshland. Over the centuries the land has changed and evolved, huge fields where once there was a settlement and wooden huts. It is in a part of the county which I don't visit very often, but no doubt it has long been a site of significance.

      Delete
  4. What a magical place and how sad that there are always people to befoul such beauty. Lovely views out of the open doors and windows, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sits isolated, but beautiful, quite a distance from the village it once served. From the road you would have no idea of the state of damage within. I'll post some more photographs.

      Delete
  5. How many days, till School Summer Holiday??????????????? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far too many!! They don't break-up until almost the end of July!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful old church, even if it is a ruin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is magnificent, but shocking. My first visit there - quite a few years ago - is forever etched on my mind.

      Delete
  7. Have you shared the outside of that church with us before? I don't recall. I know what you mean about temp changes inside old stone buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have posted about this one over on Pear Tree Log, my original blog, or perhaps one of the later ones, not on this blog though. I'll post more about it as time permits.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.