Pages

Friday 11 May 2018

The World of Anna Pugh


This is the work of Anna Pugh, English Folk Artist.       I really enjoy her style of storytelling.   

Special moments captured, stories and smiles.




Humorous, quirky, endearing.   





Beautifully detailed paintings of people, animals, the countryside and the coast.




Many of her paintings feature animals she has known and loved, the departed ones are usually given small wings.     




These scans are all taken from a large book which is more or less a catalogue of her work.    I have had it several years and it still delights and inspires me.

Every now and then I have to seize my paintbrushes and have a go myself.       

I start with an anchor of some sort, usually an aspect of the house or gardens,  then get working on those little stories of small events which have happened in and around Parsonage Cottage, involving our cats, hens, dogs, chickens, the owls and woodpeckers...even Farmer T and the little red tractor, even the vegetable garden.   All feature somewhere.

As I paint them, I only see the flaws and become frustrated that I do not have even a whisker of her ability.   Yet the urge to have a go is strong!

However, when I let them settle - preferably for several years - and then look again at them, I am able to disregard my lack of skill and see a funny little representation of the good times we have enjoyed here.

That is good enough for me, well it has to be! 

...and no, I won't be posting my paintings here.
x






If you would like to see more of her work, just click the link, -    The work of Anna Pugh.







9 comments:

  1. Those are lovely, quirky pictures. The first one reminded me of an applique quilt picture. Her cats and dogs are VERY good and what a lovely idea to give the departed ones little angel wings . . . Thank you for introducing me to her work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello BB, It is interesting that you say that, I was torn between using paints on my latest one, or making it into an applique picture. I even got as far as selecting fabrics, before reverting to paint. I'm really glad you have enjoyed seeing some of her work. ps I'm enjoying 'The Unsought Farm', the trouble is that as I read it, I almost feel it is you and your husband doing all the work on it...can't think why!

      Delete
  2. And I thought for sure the last picture would be one of yours. She is a delightful artist. I attend a mixed media class here at Vantage House most Tuesday mornings. It exposes me to various artists styles. The latest project was a collage. I ended up finishing it yesterday at home. I kind of like it and want to try another one next Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing her work. It sounds as though you have a wonderful range of activities and interests, Marcia.

      Delete
  3. Delightful art!!!!!

    We call that 'Primitive', like Grandma' Moses, and etc. :-)

    She lived "over the river, and through the woods," from where we live. So she was rather "local." Local to the area, anyway.

    There are many 'Primitive' artists, but she happens to come to mind, first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...'over the river and through the woods'...how exciting, Luna! I have long admired the work of Grandma Moses. I like many kinds of art, but 'Primitive' work always captures my attention, no matter which part of the world it comes from.

      Delete
  4. I just love these paintings. The cats and the dogs are something I would like to have on my wall, all of them in fact. Must look her up now

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love these paintings. The cats and the dogs are something I would like to have on my wall, all of them in fact. Must look her up now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they great? She seems to capture the essence of an animal, the mood of a scene, etc quite wonderfully.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.