Pages

Thursday 10 May 2018

Fond Memories of a Farming Friend

The recent short spell of warm weather has been wonderful.    Here at Parsonage Cottage we have delighted in it, although I know it doesn't suit everyone.

The gardens, Owl Wood, and the countryside have all responded magnificently.   Fruit trees are dripping in blossom, some vegetable seedlings have been transplanted into the outdoor beds and the strawberry plants are already developing fruit.   We have erected arches for the beans, and a cage to protect one of my quince trees, but more of that next time. 






The flower garden is looking colourful, the new wisteria is bursting out in magnificent flowers, draping itself along the side of the house and out over the big arch of the main garden gateway.



The grape vine is growing happily, the fig tree is developing fruit, and the blackcurrant bushes are filled with promise of the  sharp juicy treats to come.




Across at the big pond there are dozens of geese and fluffy goslings, their parents prefer the quiet side, where it is impossible for me to get close enough to photograph them.   

At least two young hedgehogs come to feed each night, as well as some adults - the night camera has revealed some interesting footage.    I have learned a lot more about what our little ginger cat, Millie, gets up to, but that is for another post.

Yesterday Toby and I walked along the old railway line and I got to remembering Mrs T Senior, the woman driving the tractor in the top photograph, one of the first people to welcome us to the village.

She was always on the go, driving tractors, working long hours helping about the farm, dashing off to the local markets on a Tuesday,  always with a smile and a moment or two for a chat.     I thought she was in her 70's, but it turned out that she was a decade older - still working hard, still driving the tractors, at that time.   

We both supported the mobile library and would walk home together, she would regale me with tales of the village, and how life used to be...much in the manner of Miss Read.

As I wandered along the railway line yesterday,  I was remembering how I used to go 'brambling' (blackberry picking) and would often see Mrs T, margarine tub in hand, picking a few brambles for tea.    She once asked me whether I had found where the violets grow.   Each year since then  I have searched, without success.

Until yesterday. 

As I walked along, remembering her, I looked down and saw two violets, quite late ones.    I had to kneel down to check that my eyes hadn't deceived me, but they were definitely violets!

Elizabeth's violets.

Coincidentally, the violet is the county flower of Lincolnshire and Elizabeth was a Lincolnshire woman, through and through.   

It seems very appropriate.



14 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are getting to walk with Toby still. You'd made no mention of it that I recall since taking on the grandkids before and after school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marcia, Yes, I am able to manage my regular walks again, thank goodness. I haven't been able to work my way back up to the longer ones though. I see the grandchildren off on the bus, and then head out with Toby - much more fun that doing housework.

      Delete
  2. That looks like a wisteria above your grape vine photo. No doubt your cat was doing what that Cat was up to I wrote about on Tuesday. Nice that you found the violets to remember the lady by

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bill, It is a wisteria, in fact I have two which are working their way over a big brick archway. This is the first year it has flowered properly. Finding those violets was a real pleasure and a surprise.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful spring can be. So much growth and new life.
    Your Mrs T reminds me of some of the older women here. They just get on with it and are on the go all day doing whatever they must, including your Mrs T driving her tractor. A dying breed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was never happier than when she was working - and she worked long hours, every day! Owl Wood has been transformed in the Spring sunshine of the last few days, the cow parsley is now so high that it comes up to my chest.

      Delete
  4. Ah that county flower! Modest yet tenacious.

    Odd isn't it that we have a purple county flower but we're known as yellow bellies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have you to thank for that snippet of knowledge about the violet - so thank you!

      Delete
  5. Another delightful post!

    Who wouldn't like spring weather? You said some don't.

    Your first local friend, Elizabeth. Lovely memories... And almost a gift from her... Finding the violets. :-)

    Does this mean, that violets are not "all over the place," there? I guess so, since it was a 'find.' Happily, they are "all over the place" here. At least on our land. Where of course, no chemicals are put on the grass. They have probably been eradicated, on all the lawns, which regularly apply "stuff." -sigh-

    Love to hear more memories, of Elizabeth, some time... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The old railway line was left to nature, once the lines had been taken up, so the plants, trees and flowers are random. We have lots of violets around, but not along the line. Elizabeth set me the challenge to find them, finally I completed the task! I think she would be smiling at my tenacity...more tales about her one day.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely memory. And such a beautiful place to live. Your friend was living proof that keeping active and maintaining a lively mind will carry you well into age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. She was wonderful, never happier than when she was busy on the farm.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful post... How wonderful to find the sweet little violets .. It was truly a gift from your friend Elizabeth .... I enjoyed the picturesque walk with you today, my Friend... Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Zaa, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a real gift, finding those violets so unexpectedly!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.