Pages

Wednesday 24 April 2024

Neglected Things

Last year we had a reasonable crop of blackcurrants so I decided to have a go at making some blackcurrant vinegar.  

I made a small batch in a kilner jar - just cider vinegar, blackcurrants and some sugar.  Initially I was filled with enthusiasm and remembered to give the jar a shake each day.  After a week or two I forgot all about it. 


 

Until yesterday, when I was cleaning that part of the pantry.  Ooops!

It is a large pantry, time was when I would empty the entire thing and clean it out all in one day.  Those days have passed, I now do a shelf as and when I get the urge to do it...obviously that is not as often as I should!

I opened the lid expecting to find a mouldy mess but, no, the vinegar is wonderfully dark and delicious.  The blackcurrants should have been removed after a few weeks, but they were left in all the time.  No harm done, in fact when I tried one or two they were delicious.   

I strained the liquid and poured it into a couple of small sterilised wine bottles.   It will be used on salads and as a dipping sauce.  Best of all, unlike so many Balsamic vinegars, this didn't trigger a bad headache, and that has to be a bonus.

The signs are looking fairly good for a reasonable crop of blackcurrants this year.  Fingers crossed!

Several years ago I made some vanilla essence, just vanilla pods and vodka.  It needed plenty of time to mature but it is excellent.  Much better than the commercial ones.  

Time to get another batch of that made then I can let it sit and mature in peace.

A couple of months ago I made a sourdough starter (again) followed all the directions, nurtured it and coddled it, then forgot it.  Dead as a do-do (or should that be a dough-dough) it just fell off my radar.  

I could blame it on the fact that George suddenly developed an interest in baking bread (it soon waned) and he took over the bread-making for two or three weeks, but I won't. 

I will own the neglect.  I totally forgot it was there.  







13 comments:

  1. How beautiful to make your own vinegar and generally your own preparations.
    It's also home economics not to throw things away and change them!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vinegar has turned out so well, Katerina, perhaps a little neglect was good for it!

      Delete
  2. Magic happens when you leave things alone. Or forget it 🙂 Sometimes. The vinegar sounds wonderful. I have sourdough at the back of the fridge which I forget for a couple of weeks. So far it has survived. Maybe I'll use it one day. I'm not baking much at the moment. Bread or anything else. I eat it, that's the trouble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that is what it was - magic! Definitely worked in this instance. I know what you mean about the temptations of baking - just as well that I live next door to a couple of hollow-legged kids! They often save me from myself, just not quite often enough!

      Delete
  3. You can dry or freeze sourdough starter....what you have may still be ok, they are quite resilient

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Following on from your, and Linda's comments, I have tried to put a bit of life back into the starter. It is out on the worktop now, has been fed, now waiting to see whether it lives. I hope you are well.

      Delete
    2. I am ok thanks... gradually getting things done

      Delete
  4. I've never had blackcurrant vinegar but Mother used to make raspberry vinegar when I was a child. I loved it with sugar on pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raspberry vinegar must go on my to do list, I have often read about it. The very thought makes my mouth water though i may have to fight my desire to eat the raspberries instead of plopping them into the vinegar! Are you well? All fine in Shanghai.

      Delete
  5. Any wartime powdered eggs in your pantry?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes, but I reckon they're probably good for another year or two yet!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad to find your blog again. I see I'm still listed as a follower but I think you stopped posting for awhile and I guess I gave up on seeing you again. I think the last post I recall was you running into someone you knew or the offspring of someone you once knew. Anyway I must bookmark you to read your wonderful posts again. You'll see from my blog that I have moved to rural New Hampshire from suburban Maryland and a different sort of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marcia, Lovely to see you again. You are quite right, blogging does take the back seat every now and again and once I get out of the habit of writing posts, it is difficult to get back into the swing of things. I do not have any lack of things to write about, rather lack of time. It sounds as though your life has changed quite radically, I look forward to reading about it.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.