Pages

Friday 26 April 2024

The Porridge Feud

   

The Porridge Feud I refer to broke out in Norway, in1864.  

A cookery book had been published which challenged the traditional method of cooking porridge!  It was normal to add some flour to the porridge after it had been taken from the heat and was ready to eat, therefore the flour was not cooked.

The author argued that this raw flour was wasted, because it would simply pass straight through the body without providing any nutritional benefit.  He directed his criticisms at the 'foolish peasant women and farmer's wives' who cooked it this way.   

You can imagine it caused much offence to women!   Surprisingly it also stimulated a big national debate which went on for years.  The book was a success and quickly sold out no doubt due, in part, to the controversy.

Luckily, another scientist argued in defence of the women and a while later lab tests were done.  For three days a doctor and his assistant ate nothing but traditional porridge, with flour added at the end of cooking.  Tests proved not a single molecule of carbohydrate had come out the other end.

It has since been found that the raw flour could release helpful enzymes and provide a little sweetness in the absence of sugar.  So perhaps those peasants and farmers wives knew a thing or two!

At this time people were coming up with all manner of 'scientific' methods of achieving optimal nutrition.  

  • One deemed that wholegrain flour was indigestible and therefore highly refined flour was much better for the body. 
  • The use of dairy products was discouraged and the use of margarine encouraged
  • Sugar and syrups were excellent nutrition.
  • Coffee was praised as being an excellent substitute for meat.  
  • Salt was to enjoyed without restraint, and the brine in which meat was pickled was called excellent nutrition...ditch the meat use the brine.
  • Sugar and alcohol were necessities 
  • Narcotics such as coca, hash, opium and tobacco were given the stamp of approval. 

 One doctor went so far as to say that narcotics were a necessity for millions of people as it made them strong and happy, banished the blues and gave them energy!

Remember, this was all happening about 160 years ago.

These days we are constantly being bombarded with crazy messages about food, the benefits of eating lab-grown meat, insects, and other nonsense.  I wonder how that will be looked back upon.


We do have porridge 'discussions' in Parsonage Cottage.  Nothing serious.  He likes his porridge served with chopped Granny Smith apple at the bottom of the dish, then porridge topped with grapes.

I've tried it that way.  Horrible.  Doesn't work for me.

Mine is unsweetened porridge with a dash of good old fashioned evap milk.  Any shrieks of horror?  
I eat my grapes and apple separately, later in the day.

If you eat porridge, how do you take it?








24 comments:

  1. Cooked in a saucepan with a small amount of golden syrup drizzled over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful. I must add golden syrup to my next shopping list. Totally agree, the porridge must be made in a saucepan!

      Delete
  2. I usually have it with blueberries and yogurt. When I went to London last summer I took a pack of the instant oatmeal with brown sugar to have as my breakfast with hot water from the kettle provided. This post reminded me of the nursery rhyme…Pease porridge hot pease porridge cold…………Jean in Winnipeg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit I haven't tried the modern instant versions, Jean, but I imagine they have greatly improved from the long-ago days when my children used to love Ready-Brek (rather like sweet wallpaper paste) and I was delighted that it was so quick and easy to make! I could enjoy the blueberries and yogurt without the porridge.

      Delete
  3. I soak the small measure of basic or jumbo oats in water, and cook them in the same large glass bowl in the microwave. A bit of evap, a few mixed seeds, a few blueberries and half of a small banana, perfect. A boiled egg and half a slice of home made bread or toast and butter, for a good brunch.
    We have half an orange each and a glass of kefir and enough medicines to rattle, and a jug of filtered coffee.
    Times Polygon, concise crossword, and a few puzzles done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nelliegrace, that all sounds very healthy, very peaceful. Mind and body nourished, ready for the day ahead. If I were to have a meal like that, delicious as it all sounds, I would definitely need to take a nap afterwards, no chance of getting through those puzzles - although, perhaps the coffee would help to counteract the drowsiness. Lovely to see you.

      Delete
  4. I nave blitzed basic porridge oats for oatmeal for Staffordshire oatcakes or a different textured porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. porridge... cooked till fairly solid... placed in bowl with milk, white sugar and a blob of butter on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butter on your porridge? That's a new one on me, Bettina. I will give it a go one morning this week, who knows, I may become a convert.

      Delete
  6. Food fads come and go. There are always experts who insist they know the perfect human diet. And a couple of years later they're touting something else. I'm eating the carnivore diet for the last 2 years and I love it. I'm losing weight and feel great. 2 years ago I was a vegetarian and ate oats raw or cooked, depending on the season. My favourite back then was porridge with evaporated milk and honey. Who knows what I'll be eating in another 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great news, Linda. May you go from strength to strength now. Your granddaughters will have you rowing and running before you know it! It has been so cold here that a warming breakfast like porridge has seemed necessary. My eating changes with the season - my husband prefers to stick to porridge year round. Sometimes, for fun, he changes the colour of the grapes! ;-)

      Delete
  7. Not too thick not too thin. Cooked in a saucepan and eaten hot with either golden syrup or brown sugar. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good. I will have to conduct some porridge experiments!

      Delete
  8. I don't often eat oatmeal for breakfast. I find I get hungry midmorning when I have it. If I do have it I add dried cranberries or raisins, nuts, a bit of brown sugar and then milk. We usually have eggs in a variety of ways for breakfast. More filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my husband may like your porridge version, Marcia - well, he would, if he were not so set in his ways.

      Delete
  9. I eat my oats with a dollop of butter and maple syrup. Looking back on food habits, it's a wonder anyone survived to procreate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dollop of butter does seem to be getting some votes, I must investigate, Joanne.

      Delete
  10. When I was a child my father and I always had butter and brown sugar on our porridge. Nowadays I make our porridge in a saucepan - oats, a spoon of chia seeds, pinch salt, spoon milk powder and water. I then top mine with L.S.A., Hemp Hearts, stewed fruit and a little soy cream. I eat this year round. It sounds a lot but the quantities are not large.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds delicious. As I mentioned to Joanne, butter does seem to be getting a good review, I think I feel the need to try some experiments, Susan.

      Delete
  11. Cooked as normal, then drizzled with honey. My husband likes fruit on his, but cold fruit on hot porridge just doesn't do it for me. I intend to try overnight oats in the Summer and I think fruit would be a lovely addition to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tracy, I agree with you about the cold fruit - doesn't work for me either. I'm glad you mentioned overnight oats, I keep meaning to try them out, too. I hope you enjoy yours.

      Delete
  12. I use water, not milk, to add to porridge oats; 3 minutes in the microwave resulting in just the right consistency (a bit on the thick side, just like me!) before adding creamy whole milk and a sprinkling of sugar, white or Demerara. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rambler, lovely to see you. I could definitely go for that, without the sugar. I have eaten it without sweetness for so long that it would be wasted on me...I know this because I conducted a mini experiment with my porridge today. More about that in my next post.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.